U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 05:04 AM

4,231 posts, read 7,242,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Gunluvver2 ... you really ought to get out a bit more in your regional food production community ...

For example, the Cheese Importers outlet in Longmont has been around for years. Used to be located in the flood zone there, and had a small retail storefront backed up by a substantial cold warehouse operation. You could buy a few items at the front counter, but the real treat was to go into the warehouse and see the big chunks/wheels/rounds of cheese. You'd sample, select, they'd cut what you wanted and wrap it, and have wonderful cheeses from local producers (of the niche variety) as well as domestic and imported cheeses to select from. No Kraft or other large industrial cheese suppliers there. After the flood of a few years ago, they relocated to the old train depot buildings in Longmont. Now most of their selection is out in grocer's cold display cases for retail sale, but you can still order the larger (commercial sized) chunks or whole wheels as needed. They stock a number of cheeses which I like which are otherwise not readily available in the region ... even from places like The Welsh Rabbit in Fort Collins, a well-known cheesemonger's shop (and unfortunately, somewhat pricey compared to the Longmont cheese outlet so it's a longer drive for me to do a cheese run).

But Longmont has another treasure: Haystack Mountain dairy. Started years ago by a local goat dairy, it has grown into a much larger operation. After the original founder retired and sold his goat operation, the Haystack creamery put a partnership together with the Canon City prison facility. The prison operates a goat dairy of some size, supplying the Haystack Mountain creamery facility in Longmont.

In early 2015, Haystack announced an expansion of their operations due to demand for their products. Forecast to hire 5 more people and gear up to an annual production of 300,000 lbs., a not insignificant output ... far beyond a small "niche" producer level of artisanal cheese.

They were written up in the Longmont Times-Call:

"Haystack has won a variety of major cheese awards over the years. At the 2010 World Cheese Awards it took home a Bronze Medal for Camembert, and that same year the American Cheese Society awarded the dairy third place for Queso de Mano and third place for Red Cloud. In 2013, the American Cheese Society gave Queso de Mano its first place award."

As you asserted, there are numerous "niche" cheese producers throughout Colorado. A very short list would include folks such as Jumping Good, Buena Vista; Avalanche Dairy, Basalt; Longview, Windsor; James Ranch, Paonia; and many others ... some doing goat, some cow, and some doing sheep milk artisan cheeses in smaller quantities.
For the most part, I've found their products to be equal to or (in some cases) preferable to some highly touted imported cheeses from around the world. But make no mistake here, the Colorado cheese business and the supporting dairy operations are no trivial matter in the Colorado food industry. Their production has gone far beyond the level of a small local producer selling at a Farmer's Market.
Thanks for the information and es I need to get out more. Next time I get to the Greeley, Longmont and Ft. Collins areas I now have some places to visit. I do love cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 12:33 PM

13 posts, read 9,785 times
Thank you for your answers! I've read them with a great pleasure. I've got a small dairy farm (goats), what's why I'm really interested in farming in your state. And I'm not academic researcher. But I'm afraid you are wrond - I didn't want to be rude! Why do you think so? I don't live in the USA and I've been studing English for 6 months. At the beginning of my topics I apologized for my English!

Last edited by Mikle_1980; 01-28-2016 at 12:42 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 11:22 AM

13,294 posts, read 25,467,231 times
Your English is excellent. I first read your name as "Mike."

Old 02-10-2016, 05:33 PM

6,949 posts, read 7,364,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I didn't see intent to be rude. I think it was a language thing.

I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado