U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 21 days ago)

10,885 posts, read 29,317,265 times

Advertisements

Please remember not to share that with onsite people, and sellers so to keep what affordability we have left

I have to remind new to Colorado homebuyers not to say things like, "$130 a month for HOA fees, that's nothing...I am paying $280 and doesn't include a recreation center or trash!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 03:39 PM

210 posts, read 1,257,424 times
Ahh, we really don't get too much snow! And it can get cold, but then again we can have Spring-like days in the middle of January. It keeps you guessing, the weather! (And I say this as it begins to snow....)

As far as Greeley is concerned, it has recently had an influx of poorer people, and gang violence (and crime in general) has shot up there. Personally, I would recommend not looking there, although it is cheaper than other Front Range towns. Colorado Springs does seem to have traffic issues-- I-25 seems to be perpetually backed up when we drive through. But I think they're working on that, and it is a great community otherwise. You can find great churches anywhere-- I know of many here in the Denver-area.

You could consider Longmont, it's far enough from Boulder that you won't be dealing with the CU party situation in nearby Boulder. If you want smaller cities (along the lines of Longmont or Ft Collins) I would recommend looking into Parker or Castle Rock. Both are ~20 mins from the southern suburbs of Denver, so you can be close to the city attractions if you want, but both also are smaller and are family-friendly.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:16 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 330,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
yep, same here! Being from Miami, Colorado doesn't seem that expensive to me.
I am in Orlando... CO is almost like free housing. $180k for those cute CO homes... like a dream! can't wait to get the hell out of Orlando!

In Orlando $180k will get you a house in the ghetto... with lots of dead body markings on the road from all the drive-by shootings. LOL

Just hope jobs are good too!

Old 01-04-2007, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 10,508 times
Smile Moving to Fort Collins

Hey I have a teenager and we live in Fort collins. I love it here. It is a great town and also Loveland. If you want a little slower Pace I would say loveland. If you want fast pace and challanges as in keeping your kid on the up and up come to FC. Greeley I would stay away from. to many negatives, although I like it as well. FC is a good place to live as far as I am concered. Schools are great and activities.

Good Luck Choosing!!

Old 01-04-2007, 02:47 PM

31 posts, read 161,230 times
I'd have to agree with the other posters about Greeley, it seems to be going downhill from what I've heard.

The traffic in the Denver/Springs area is somewhat annoying, but not really that bad. Although it did seem worse than where I'm at now; I recently relocated to the northern Chicago suburbs.

If you prefer smaller you may want to look at Grand Junction, or north of Denver. For example, the Lafayette area is very nice.

One thing to keep in mind, although Colorado may seem to be a much cheaper place to live than other areas of the country it also has much lower wages. I've lived in Western Colorado and the Denver area, I now live outside of Chicago. It is MUCH easier for me to live in Chicago than it was in any area of Colorado. My salary is simply so much higher here it more than compensates for the somewhat higher cost of living. The temporary job I took when I first moved here paid higher than any permenent job I ever had in Colorado. Every permenent job I have been offered here is at a salary at least 50% higher than my best paying job in Colorado.

It's a beautiful, fun place to live. I'm not trying to deter you from moving there, just wanted to give you another perspective to consider.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 6,118 times
Hi,

I live in Castle Rock, which is between Denver and Colorado Springs. It's worth considering. Also, Colorado Springs has a large conservative religious presence, so it might be something you'd like. The foothills have a more rural feel to them, but housing pricing tend to higher.

Hope this helps

Old 01-13-2007, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,113 times
I have lived in Loveland my entire life. I would highly recommend Loveland or Fort Collins. Greeley gets a bad rap but it does have its problems, including way too much housing inventory which has caused a lot of foreclosures and poor housing market (although it might be a good time to be a buyer). West Greeley is a nice area. Longmont is close to Boulder so parts of it have high real estate costs and a yuppie kind of attitude/lifestyle. On the other hand parts of Longmont have some of the same problems as Greeley (gangs, crime, etc.). Also, when we talk about gangs it's nothing like a lot of big cities but it should be considered.

Loveland is a little smaller and a little more conservative than Fort Collins. The party scene in Fort Collins depends on where you live. I wouldn't suggest you live next door to a frat house, but most parts of Fort Collins have a nice family type atmosphere. If you want more info on the Loveland/Fort Collins area I'd be glad to share. [moderator cut]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-14-2007 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: No realtor advertising or trolling for clients.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,917 times
Hi,
I moved to Colorado in November of 2006. I absolutely love it here. I live in Highlands Ranch, southeast of Denver. The people are great, the traffic from this area to downtown doesn't seem to be as bad as from the north of town. Also, down in this area is the Denver Tech Center which affords plenty of employment opportunities.

As far as the weather, we did experience a blizzard last December but managed to survive. From what we understand this was very unusual. The summers do have a lot of Thunderstorms and lightning. Every part of the country has its downfalls. To me it is better than earthquakes.

I find the people to be much, much nicer and the pace is much slower. The schools in this area are also a lot better than in the Los Angeles and surrounding areas. This was important because we have a 5 year old.

I hope if you move you will enjoy it here as much as we are.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:50 PM

136 posts, read 681,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTransplant View Post
Hi,

I just discovered this forum and we are considering a move to Colorado from California. My wife and I and our four kids (3-11) visited Colorado in July and checked it out.
What is the main reason for you to move from Redding to CO? just the hot summer weather makes you to made your mind? Relocation crossing states is not a small project.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:26 PM

17 posts, read 48,041 times
My family used to live in South Orange County (Coto de Caza) for 20 years and moved to Colorado about 9 months ago. Big difference! I love it here. We live in Castle Rock, which is a small town of about 40,000 people. It has that homey feel. People here are super friendly...everyone waives, neighbors had a "welcome to the neighborhood" party when we moved in, brought us cookies etc. Castle Rock, being part of the Douglas County educational system is fantastic. There are ample jobs, cost of living in Colorado is much lower (not to mention utilities). But most of all, there is an overall sense of community that we found most appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or