U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-01-2007, 12:40 AM

2 posts, read 4,671 times
Default NYC to NorCal to Colorado?

I am originally from NYC and then I joined the military. When I got married and out of the military I decided to stay in Central California because I knew I did not want to raise a family in NYC. I went back into the military for while longer and then got out to pursue my IT education. That took me to the Bay Area of SanFrancsisco where I currently am. I have always loved Colorado from afar and then I bought land in Hartsel/Fairplay area and then I finally took the family on vacation to Estes Park and the family loved it. I am currently looking for a position in the Denver/Boulder area for my profession and my wife is a nurse so she should not have much of a problem getting employment.

I was hoping to spend a wonderful Christmas in Colorado which I have always dreamed of but that may not be the case at least for this year but next year is a sure thing. I will continue with this forum to get to know the area from all of the Colorado residents or relocated residents that love it. Thank you all for the input that I have read so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-01-2007, 10:35 AM

8 posts, read 24,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaxt0 View Post
I was hoping to spend a wonderful Christmas in Colorado which I have always dreamed of but that may not be the case at least for this year but next year is a sure thing. I will continue with this forum to get to know the area from all of the Colorado residents or relocated residents that love it. Thank you all for the input that I have read so far.
The same goes for me. I've wanted to move to Colorado for years, and was hoping I would be relocated for my job this year. Didn't happen, so I get to have another 70 degree Christmas, but I am about 95% sure I'll be relocated sometime next year (wife and I are crossing fingers).

We will probably be living in Longmont, since that's where my job would be. Unfortunately it seems that decent apartments aren't a whole lot cheaper than here in Phoenix. My wife would most likely be commuting into Denver, since she is a vet tech and wants to go to school to become a vet.

Unread 12-01-2007, 03:59 PM

739 posts, read 1,931,859 times
wonder if hte original poster ever moved?? He wrote the post 1 yr ago.

Unread 12-01-2007, 05:10 PM

65,400 posts, read 51,701,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaxt0 View Post
I am originally from NYC and then I joined the military. When I got married and out of the military I decided to stay in Central California because I knew I did not want to raise a family in NYC. I went back into the military for while longer and then got out to pursue my IT education. That took me to the Bay Area of SanFrancsisco where I currently am. I have always loved Colorado from afar and then I bought land in Hartsel/Fairplay area and then I finally took the family on vacation to Estes Park and the family loved it. I am currently looking for a position in the Denver/Boulder area for my profession and my wife is a nurse so she should not have much of a problem getting employment.

It is not always white for Christmas in Colorado. In fact, the statistics I have seen (too lazy to dig them up right now), show that the chances of snow on Christmas Day are very slim, and the chances of snow on the ground not much higher. Nursing jobs in Colorado are variable, depending on where you live and what type of nursing DW does. Many have posted that it's hard to find a full-time job w/benefits. I haven't looked for a while, but it's always been that way when I've been looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhinphx View Post
The same goes for me. I've wanted to move to Colorado for years, and was hoping I would be relocated for my job this year. Didn't happen, so I get to have another 70 degree Christmas, but I am about 95% sure I'll be relocated sometime next year (wife and I are crossing fingers).

It can be 65 degrees here on Christmas. That was the case a couple years ago. The record high on Christmas Day is 68 degrees per the Weather Underground. Welcome to The Weather Underground : Weather Underground Last year, we were covered with snow.

We will probably be living in Longmont, since that's where my job would be. Unfortunately it seems that decent apartments aren't a whole lot cheaper than here in Phoenix. My wife would most likely be commuting into Denver, since she is a vet tech and wants to go to school to become a vet.
Longmont to Denver is doable, but a long drive. The vet school is in Ft. Collins, so Longmont would put you in a good place for that drive.

Unread 12-02-2007, 06:43 AM

10 posts, read 16,476 times
Default Colo. Too friendly,,,maybe even for it's own good....

As well I just discovered this forum, might have come in handy for me prior to my move from Colo. I moved away from Colo. 7 months ago due to the growth and horrible imigration problems that only continue to get worse. But I stil have a strong love for the state, as it -use to be-. I was born there and lived for 50 years. One of the great social aspects of Co. is/was that has been deversified just enough from all points of the country so there has never been a " Colo. Attitude" that you'll often find with Texas, Calif, New York, ect. So not having a strong or stinky native attitude, it has always been a very friendly place to live and one of it's strong attracting features. From the areas you mentioned, I would recommend taking a serious look at Ft. Collins and Greeley. Yes they are college towns, but not unruly in any way. Greeley however does have beef plants, so on a windy day depending on where you're at, can be a bit odiferous. Both have excelent schools for the kids to grow into. I think you would find the living in either more pleasant than the huge crime, traffic, and backassward politics of Denver. I have lived in both places. But just go live there and try to be happy, don't try to drag your palm trees way of life from home with you, no one likes that. I don't think you'd like Denver is as far as raising the kids there. Not to mention moving from 80k to 2 mil. would be shock enough on it's own. And don't make the mistake of thinking Denver is till a cowtown compared to Calif, Chicago, ect. Welcome to the central version of East L.A. Good Luck.
Hi,

I just discovered this forum and we are considering a move to Colorado from California. My wife and I and our four kids (3-11) visited Colorado in July and checked it out. We are Christians and have been praying and will continue to while at the same time listening to the advice of others.

I teach high school in Northern California so we don't need to make up our mind until this school year gets closer to ending.

The pros we saw were - cost of living is cheaper, people were friendly, loved the summer weather (weather here in summer is DAILY over 100 degrees in July and August), and slower pace of life.

The Cons for us was there was more traffic than we expected and it looks like the highways are playing catch-up in regards to population (up and down I-25 - Thornton through Colorado Springs), and Colorado Springs (which we were targeting) was much more populated than we expected.

We currently live in Redding, California, which has a population of about 80,000 w/little or no traffic. I guess what we're looking for is that same situation, but in Colorado where cost of living is cheaper and weather isn't as HOT in summer.

Lately I've been investigating Greeley, Fort Collins, and Loveland as possibilities. One concern is since Greeley and Fort Collins have colleges, are they party towns? With our oldest getting closer to his teen years, sadly we need to start thinking about environmental outside sources that could be 'distractions,' hence the concern over a party atmosphere.

I'd love to hear input from any/all who live in Colorado and know about any of the above situations. Please reply. We're looking for any and all advice.
Thanks![/quote]

Unread 11-09-2008, 07:59 PM

23 posts, read 34,918 times
Default I Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
yep, same here! Being from Miami, Colorado doesn't seem that expensive to me.
I am from Miami too and I agree that I don't find Colorado as expensive as Miami at all. I Loved Denver and plan on moving over there with my husband.

Unread 09-10-2010, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,983 times
My family relocated from Redding, California to Fort Collins, Colorado in 1998. We are VERY happy with the schools (much better than Shasta school district), the people, activities, etc. Despite the rare events that the Denver media tries to make a huge deal over, there really isn't that much crime, especially when compared to Greeley and the closer you get to the Denver metro area. We especially love the weather and actually having seasons that aren't just HOT & wet. We do really miss having the lakes that are warm enough to swim in all spring, summer & fall, but the Rocky Mountains in your backyard more than make up for that. My suggestion, if you do choose Fort Collins, stay south/southeast. The party zones are the areas in and around the college campus and Old Town. The rest of the city is very family, kid & dog friendly. I've never seen a city with more parks & playgrounds. Yes, the traffic is horrendous at times, especially in August when schools are back in session and the road work is still being completed. Unfortunately, if you move to any larger city with all the perks & services, you will find that type of thing. There are pros & cons everywhere. Good luck

Unread 05-03-2012, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,152 times
Default Califorina to Colorado

I am thinking of relocating to Greeley from Colorado Springs and am absolutely amazed at what is being said about the crime, gangs and dump that is considered Greeley. I visit family there every weekend and enjoy the small town feel that Greeley has to it. I have also researched the crime rate in the Springs to that in Greeley and it is worse here in the Springs. There are a lot of people of Hispanic background in Greeley but if you don't view people differently just because of their heritage than you would know that there are more than the same people here in the Springs. Greeley does have its own odor however as it is a farmers town but most say that smell is the smell of money. Keeps people feed and the oil workers work hard to make sure your sweet amenities that we all love so much continue to find their way into our homes, cars and stores. Greeley is small town living with a large city feel, Colorado Springs is large city and no real connection but very quick to point the finger of judgement at people outside of their little " Political, Religious" views. Not to say that all people that live in Colorado Springs are that way but the ones I have had encounters with have judged before knowing anything. As for the population in Colorado Springs well it is full of military so just think how crowded it will be when our Soldiers that have fought so dearly for our freedom come home!!!!! Just something to consider. (Thank you to every man and woman that has put their safety, family and freedom on the line for My family and I.) I appreciate you all

Unread 05-04-2012, 05:39 AM

1,426 posts, read 1,433,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a51ampFuse View Post
One of the great social aspects of Co. is/was that has been deversified just enough from all points of the country so there has never been a " Colo. Attitude" that you'll often find with Texas, Calif, New York, ect. So not having a strong or stinky native attitude, it has always been a very friendly place to live and one of it's strong attracting features.
You have apparently not met some-well really, one-of the prolific Colorado forum posters who also take every opportunity to reinforce they are "natives," and who just may have a "strong or stinky native attitude."

Unread 11-25-2012, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 761 times
Default Colorado Living

I, too, have just found this forum. I also am a christian and my husband and I are so excited about the prospect of moving to Colorado. We vacation there often. We live in the Midwest. We have visited Ft. Collins many times. We have found it to be a great, friendly and clean town. This is where he would like to live although I need to be close to the airport and am not sure this would be convenient.

I am actually trying to find a reputable new home builder in the area that will customize for us without charging us a fortune to do that. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado