U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-19-2006, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 112,154 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just discovered this forum and we are considering a move to Colorado from California. My wife and I and our four kids (3-11) visited Colorado in July and checked it out. We are Christians and have been praying and will continue to while at the same time listening to the advice of others.

I teach high school in Northern California so we don't need to make up our mind until this school year gets closer to ending.

The pros we saw were - cost of living is cheaper, people were friendly, loved the summer weather (weather here in summer is DAILY over 100 degrees in July and August), and slower pace of life.

The Cons for us was there was more traffic than we expected and it looks like the highways are playing catch-up in regards to population (up and down I-25 - Thornton through Colorado Springs), and Colorado Springs (which we were targeting) was much more populated than we expected.

We currently live in Redding, California, which has a population of about 80,000 w/little or no traffic. I guess what we're looking for is that same situation, but in Colorado where cost of living is cheaper and weather isn't as HOT in summer.

Lately I've been investigating Greeley, Fort Collins, and Loveland as possibilities. One concern is since Greeley and Fort Collins have colleges, are they party towns? With our oldest getting closer to his teen years, sadly we need to start thinking about environmental outside sources that could be 'distractions,' hence the concern over a party atmosphere.

I'd love to hear input from any/all who live in Colorado and know about any of the above situations. Please reply. We're looking for any and all advice.
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2006, 11:07 AM

5,684 posts, read 10,543,804 times
Well, we moved from So. Calif. (O.C.) to the Englewood area first in 6/02 and then moved to a house here in Parker a couple of years ago. Parker is 28 miles southeast of downtown Denver. Greeley is pretty bad on crime/gang stuff and Fort Collins can be that way also (crime) at times. From what we know of Loveland, not to bad......not to bad at all. You also know that we DO get snow/cold weather here......right? And, there are times that the weather here can get pretty nasty with lightning, thunderstorms, "white-out" conditions (snow) and below-zero temps (sometimes). Remember, Loveland and Fort Collins are nested up to the Rocky Mountains. Good Luck!!

Old 11-20-2006, 11:16 AM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 53,490 times
Default Greely = bad / Fort Collins = nice / Co Springs = average

I am from FL, moving to Fort Collins in May 2007. First of all, as for Fort Collins crime, I looked at the stats and it is MUCH better than most places in the country, including Central Florida. Fort Collins seems awesome to us, we are excited to go. I am surprised at the other comment about Fort Collins crime, I need to look into it.

As for the colleges, yeah they have some partying, of course. Boulder is worse when it comes to the partying/getting wild than Fort Collins, but still expect some partying.

Greely is a dump, from what everyone in this forum seems to tell me. The home values have gone to the toilet and it seems like Greely will continue to go down. It is a problem that you must have experienced in California: massive illegal immigration invading a town. Crime, gangs, drugs... everything takes over the town. Fort Collins (The Fort, as it is called locally) is much cleaner/safer than Greely, but sometimes crime does spew over, so keep in mind you can ask the local Sheriff for a concealed weapons permit and pack heat if you feel the need. I think The Fort is pretty safe, so anyone let me know if I am wrong on that. Greely is a dump and if you do not habla Espanol or are a member of a gang, stay away from Greely.

As for Colo Springs, that area is REALLY built up now. A few years back, it was much smaller, but it is really packed now. There are awesome Christian churches there as well The Fort doesn't seem to bad about Christian churches as well, but the churches are smaller.

I guess some other considerations is employment opportunities, type of lifestyle you want (we want smaller town living, less traffic, less BS). CO Springs has a LOT of traffic, because it is so built-up and begining to sprawl like Denver (but in a smaller scale). The Fort has a lot less traffic (despite some minor complaints by the locals). We were driving downtown Fort Collins around 4:30 - 5:30pm and we saw pretty much no traffic. Amazing!

The Fort is also very very friendly and we loved it. The winters get chilly chilly, but as for snow, seems like you need to get a major storm to get some snow. When the sun comes out, the snow seems to melt... nothing like Boston or Buffalo, NY! ^_^ heh

Oh another thing to keep in mind is that Denver North (the area 20 miles N of downtown Denver) is not very nice at all. There is a township called "Commerce City" and it is a dump, full of old factories, abandoned car lots, trash dumps..... disgusting. Honestly, I wouldn't even consider Denver at all.

Look at the other forums. There is so much good info, you will love it!

Chris

Old 11-20-2006, 12:06 PM
jmc

101 posts, read 645,813 times
Ture, Colorado Springs has become more populated, but honestly it's nothing like Denver or San Diego (where I live now). I lived in Colorado Springs from 1996-1999 and worked at Focus on the Family. As Christians, Colorado Springs really is a Christian mecca of ministries and churches, so that may interest you in regard to seeking employment, finding a church with a good youth program for your children, etc. Many ministries are housed there, such as Compassion International, The Navigators, Focus, etc. As a single 20-something, I longed for a bigger city at the time (I'm now older and married and still prefer San Diego), but Colorado Springs does seem like a good place to raise a family. Best wishes on your possible move to CO!

Old 11-20-2006, 10:53 PM

169 posts, read 710,680 times
My family use to live at Round Mountain and my grandma use to live in Anderson. I am pretty familar with Redding and areas around it. Colorado is a very expensive state to live in. Anything around Denver and Colorado Springs I doubt you would be happy with. You might want to check out the western slope around Grand Junction. I don't know too much about Greeley and the surrounding areas, I spend most of my time up in the mountains around I-70.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:58 PM

615 posts, read 2,168,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Colorado is a very expensive state to live in.
That really depends on your perspective. After living in Southern California for 16 years, Colorado is a bargain!

Old 11-21-2006, 07:18 PM

226 posts, read 964,126 times
You may also want to consider south of Denver, Douglas County in particular. Douglas County has some of the best schools in the state and it is far enough from CU and CSU that you will not have to deal with that aspect of raising a teenage.

Based upon your criteria I would consider Castle Rock or Parker first. I would also look at the smaller towns of Larkspur and Monument.

Good Luck. I grew up in Norther California and my parents still live there, you are going to lover Colorado. You will especially like how much more house you get here compared to California.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:56 PM

169 posts, read 710,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
That really depends on your perspective. After living in Southern California for 16 years, Colorado is a bargain!
I also relocated here from Socal and would agree that I found CO a bargain and I live in an expensive area of CO but Redding is no Socal.

Old 11-24-2006, 11:04 PM

3 posts, read 112,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
there are times that the weather here can get pretty nasty with lightning, thunderstorms, "white-out" conditions (snow) and below-zero temps (sometimes).
Yes, I am aware of the weather but was pleased to hear that most snow melts once the sun comes out. When we visited, I loved how it became overcast in July afternoons and even rained for half hour or so, then cleared back up - much better than Redding's 100 degree, EVERYDAY summer weather!

As far as Greeley, the whole gang problem thing is news to me. Does anyone else want to weigh in on Greeley and any other Colorado gang problems.

Colorado Springs' size was a turn off but how is the traffic in town? It does seem spread out - does that help w/traffic flow? 300,000+ plus people is about 220,000 more than I'm used to so that is a huge factor. The Christian aspect is a plus, but that can be found in other cities too. Colorado seems to be more conservative and Biblically grounded than California, so it seems in most cities we'd find a family friendly atmosphere.

We want to live in a city that has a Target and Walmart and other city "regularities," but not overrun with traffic and people. What other cities should we consider? What about Longmont?

Oh yea, I am a high school teacher. Any teachers or admin. want to make suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks again for any advice; all is appreciated.

Last edited by NorCalTransplant; 11-24-2006 at 11:14 PM..

Old 11-25-2006, 12:12 PM
tao

719 posts, read 2,326,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
yep, same here! Being from Miami, Colorado doesn't seem that expensive to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado