Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 09:03 AM

958 posts, read 1,137,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah5896 View Post
Well, yes, I'll admit the surrounding areas aren't super pleasant. I do believe the city itself is a good city. This week is one of the biggest events of the year with the UNC/Greeley Jazz Festival, which attracts some of the country's best artists. UNC / Greeley Jazz Festival | University of Northern Colorado

I just don't get why so many people from Denver and other places in Colorado seem determined to hate on Greeley. Yes, it's not Boulder or Fort Collins, but we can't have a functioning economy without places like Greeley. The meat people eat has to come from somewhere. If I took a picture anywhere in most of Greeley, I doubt most people could even tell it apart from the "nicer" cities of Northern Colorado.
Totally agree. Greeley is cool. I get why people wouldnt like it, but i could live there. Great neighborhoods by unc with very affordable, historic homes. A few bad areas for sure, but i feel very safe there. Young homebuyers looking for a cheap, cute, college town to live in? Get in before you get priced out. One of the fastest growing job markets in co as well. The secret will be out soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 01:57 PM

10 posts, read 16,729 times
We'll be moving to Greeley, CO in August and we're very excited. We visited back in March and it seemed like a cute town for the kids to grow up (and hopefully a place where they won't get in too much trouble like drugs, gangs, etc). Am I right? They're still young though but that's the vibe I got.

Also, we noticed the real Estate market's crazy there in the sense that there's lots of construction going on and rental apartments being built. We're moving from Phoenix, AZ where we had a real Estate market boom going up years ago and then tons of foreclosures like 8 years ago so although we want to buy in the next 9 months or so we're also kind of afraid the same thing may happen again.

I have questions about the whole fracking industry and I guess the opinions will be very diverse but do you feel like Greeley people are OK with this or most of them are against it, are they used to it? I just didn't really get to talk about this with anybody while we were visiting back in March and I'd like to know if someone here has a better idea about it.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-24-2016, 02:22 PM

8,389 posts, read 8,593,679 times
Hope you have or will read at least a handful of Greeley threads. It has been hashed about pretty good. I hear neighborhood really matters. My impression is most folks say stick to Westside but some say only a few spots of central, south, east are truly bad. Probably wise to rent before you buy.

P.S. I wrote this before noticing you had your own thread 4-5 months ago covering the where to live issue. Are you seeking more advice about that issue? Seemed like you were already aware of the issues and general advice.

Fracking is another issue. I don't really feel like weighing on it though.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-24-2016 at 02:30 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 03:13 PM

10 posts, read 16,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Hope you have or will read at least a handful of Greeley threads. It has been hashed about pretty good. I hear neighborhood really matters. My impression is most folks say stick to Westside but some say only a few spots of central, south, east are truly bad. Probably wise to rent before you buy.

P.S. I wrote this before noticing you had your own thread 4-5 months ago covering the where to live issue. Are you seeking more advice about that issue? Seemed like you were already aware of the issues and general advice.

Fracking is another issue. I don't really feel like weighing on it though.
I know about the recommendations for sticking to the West side and we're even considering living in Windsor (not much further west because my husband will commute to UNC so we don't want a long commute for him). In general though, I say, it seemed like an easygoing kind of town. We don't wanna live close to UNC because we don't think the schools are good enough and we know there's more crime on that area but other than that it just seemed like an nice place to live.

Fracking is what I didn't have the chance to talk about in March when we were visiting so I just wanted to know if someone has an opinion about it (good or bad or neutral) as I know it's pretty controversial and, if you know, in what part of town is the majority of fracking happening because this may be a factor when we buy a house.

We're definitely renting for like 9-12 months so we can get to know the area and then buying (unless something very interesting comes up sooner than that but I think it may be wise to wait a few months just to make sure we don't buy in the wrong location.

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2016, 04:15 PM

8,389 posts, read 8,593,679 times
Here are some links into the Greeley fracking topic greeley fracking - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area