U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 11:07 AM

811 posts, read 1,228,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newash12 View Post
Hi -

Who we are and what we enjoy:
- Young, 23 & 27 yrs old - no kids
- Black, African American
- reserved, quiet introverts
- movies, shopping, family fun, restaurants,
- not really into the club scene, but wouldn't mind a nice bar

(P.S. We are not LDS or Mormon)
Any of the cities you mentioned in Colorado could work for you but I'd echo what some others have said that you not cross Colorado Springs off your list based on some potential perception it will be unwelcoming or upleasant or (ahem) overly conservative. If you and husband happen to be evangelical conservative types, you'll likely find the north and east portions of COS to be a really nice fit. If you are neither evangelical nor conservative, you'll likely find a better fit downtown or anywhere west of I-25, which tend to be very diverse areas in terms of mindsets.

Colorado Springs is very much more of a "laid back" slower-pace family-fun type place than Denver or Boulder, which means it's not right for everyone. It's probably more "outdoorsey" than Denver and equal to Boulder, given the proximity to mountains and the general mindset of folks around here. From your description of yourselves though it does seem like it could be a good fit, though I suspect you and husband could make it work anywhere. Sorry to bring up the "race" thing but our next-door neighbors are a mixed-race couple (husband a captain in the Army, wife a schoolteacher) who raised two reserved, quiet introvert boys who went through the local school district with stellar grades and both just graduated from CU. They seem to really enjoy the neighborhood, the city, and Colorado in general. You just find ways to make it all work, wherever you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 02:38 PM

10 posts, read 14,139 times
Otowi and David I was just going to say I think I'm sold on COS! I think I would really like it there. I've even convinced my husband this may be the place for us! I cannot wait to move, now all I have to do is start saving, LOL. I'm so excited, I've been reading all of the threads and the more I read the more convinced I am.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:53 PM

smdensbcs, I appreciate your response. As a stated above, I'm already convinced that COS is the place. Now, I'm just researching the neighborhoods and parts of town that would make a great fit for the two of us. I like that COS is more "laid back" as that is what we are.

thanks for bringing up the "race thing" different areas are different for certain people and it's good to know how they adjusted to it. Although, there aren't many black people where I am now, so I would be fine just about anywhere as long as the community is accepting

Old 01-20-2016, 06:30 PM

Does COS have heavy snowfall/icy roads in the winter compared to Utah? How are COS winters compared to other parts of CO? I know it's south of Denver, so I imagine it couldn't be that bad..

Old 01-20-2016, 08:47 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,433,481 times
Quote:
Does COS have heavy snowfall/icy roads in the winter compared to Utah? How are COS winters compared to other parts of CO? I know it's south of Denver, so I imagine it couldn't be that bad..
It's probably milder than Ogden TBH. It IS milder than Denver.

I was there a couple of weekends ago, after a fairly decent snow event. The west side of town had more hanging around, even on some of the roads. Parts of the east side, you wouldn't have even known it had snowed recently.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:16 AM

3,083 posts, read 2,119,568 times
When big storms blow in from the west coast, they tend to drop significantly less snow on Cos than on areas north. This is due to the geography. There is a huge granite monolith to the west (Pikes Peak) and a large ridge to the north (Palmer Divide) that tend to push bad weather around the immediate Cos area.

However, when we get moisture that pushes up and stalls as a low pressure system over Albuquerque, then we get the dreaded Abq low, which tends to funnel snow right up into and gets locked over Cos by those same geographic features.

Long winded way of saying we don't get a lot of snow regularly, but when we do, it typically is A LOT.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:34 PM

5,345 posts, read 7,221,159 times
Quote:
Depends a lot on what part of the city you live in. The north side of Colorado Springs sits on the Palmer Divide, a geographical feature that can lead to more snow than areas north or south, and often serves as a barrier to weather creating a divide of weather conditions sometimes. The south side of Colorado Springs like Fountain can be 10 degrees warmer and drier a lot of the time than the Palmer Divide. Also, there is more snow and/or it lingers longer when you get closer to the mountains, typically, especially if you go up in elevation or end up in the shadow of a mountain or in a canyon, etc. The east side of the city can often have less precipitation but sometimes once you get out as far as Falcon you are more likely to have high winds contributing to blizzard conditions.

One of the first things to know about Colorado Springs weather is that it is not monolithic at all - different areas of town can have very different weather.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:21 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,140,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Depends a lot on what part of the city you live in. The north side of Colorado Springs sits on the Palmer Divide, a geographical feature that can lead to more snow than areas north or south, and often serves as a barrier to weather creating a divide of weather conditions sometimes. The south side of Colorado Springs like Fountain can be 10 degrees warmer and drier a lot of the time than the Palmer Divide. Also, there is more snow and/or it lingers longer when you get closer to the mountains, typically, especially if you go up in elevation or end up in the shadow of a mountain or in a canyon, etc. The east side of the city can often have less precipitation but sometimes once you get out as far as Falcon you are more likely to have high winds contributing to blizzard conditions.

One of the first things to know about Colorado Springs weather is that it is not monolithic at all - different areas of town can have very different weather.
Otowi is spot on. We are located in a micro-climate zone, meaning there is a great variation of weather within a relatively small area.

I live in the northwest foothills, similar to the bench areas of the Wasatch Front. I can get 10" of snow at home, drive to the south part of town (10 miles) where I work, and it's dry and sunny. My brother's kids attended District 20 schools in the north part of the city. He'd complain at times when they'd close the schools district-wide for a snow day while at his home it was dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or