U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 07:45 PM

10 posts, read 14,133 times

Advertisements

Hi -

My husband and I are strongly thinking of relocating, we haven't completely decided on where, but we have started our research for a few different states (namely: Colorado, Idaho, S. Dakota, Tennessee, Kentucky). We plan to move the end of this year and we have sort of honed in on Colorado, Nebraska, or Idaho. Currently, we live in Ogden, UT and we like being here for the most part so we'd like to move some place similar.

Who we are and what we enjoy:
- Young, 23 & 27 yrs old - no kids
- Black, African American
- reserved, quiet introverts
- movies, shopping, family fun, restaurants,
- not really into the club scene, but wouldn't mind a nice bar

I want to know about Colorado state as a whole, but really want to know more about the cities of Greeley, Ft. Collins, Longmont, and Pueblo.
-How is the weather during the seasons? (heat, snow, rain, etc)
-Are there tornadoes? If so, how frequent and bad are they?
-Are there malls or department store centers within these areas? If not, I don't mind traveling to the big city: Denver
-What types of crime/violence occur in these areas? (I don't mind some crime, I grew up in St. Louis, MO so I'm pretty sure I can deal, LOL).
-What is the job market like? I currently work for in call center for an insurance company and could have the opportunity to work at home from a remote location, but I'd still like to hear what opportunities are out there. My husband also works in a call center, but a job is a job and he has worked production/warehouse jobs before.
- Which location is financially affordable on rent?

For any who have lived in Idaho what differs from Colorado (besides the MariJane legalization) hahaa?

Any and all information/thoughts are welcome.
Thanks,

(P.S. We are not LDS or Mormon)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 11:49 PM

3,908 posts, read 4,054,709 times
Here is a quick reply on most of the things you asked about.

Lots of call center type jobs listed here Call Center jobs in Colorado - Indeed Mobile

All four cities you mention have malls and stand alone department stores adequate for most people. And anything missing / more specialized can be found in Denver.

Crime rates tend to vary by neighborhood within cities; but in terms of city averages from lowest crime to highest reported it is Longmont, Fort Collins, Greeley and Pueblo.

In terms of housing cost from highest to lowest it is FC, Longmont & Greeley then Pueblo. Average rents for a 1-2 bedroom place are probably $300-500 less per month in Pueblo. If you want to buy a starter house Pueblo would be the by far easiest. If pay is near the same, Pueblo will be the most affordable.

Plan a 5 plus day visit and you will probably narrow your list. Til then read the many threads. Pueblo and Greeley draw a more mixed to negative set of reactions but some are happy in each town. Sort it out for yourself.

You might give Pueblo extra points if you don't particularly like snow / cold or want to try a place with a strong Hispanic population / culture.

It may end up being take the best set of job offers and then look for housing close by. After a year or two if you want a different city, job and housing hunt around again and go for a better fit in place 2.

Boise metro will have a lot in common with the CO front range with a moderate dose of LDS community. Idaho Falls and Pocatello will remind strongly of Utah. Coeur d'Alene leans right politically like almost all of Idaho but the ecology is very different and the people are a mix of native northwesterners and a lot of mostly conservative Cali transplants.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-17-2016 at 12:40 AM..

Old 01-17-2016, 12:48 PM

Thank you NW Crown, I appreciate your response.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:37 PM

3,908 posts, read 4,054,709 times
You are welcome.

For more weather info, poke around here: Colorado Climate Summaries

Tornadoes are occasional. Some references https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Tojrnadoes_in_Colorado
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_2581443...adoes-colorado

If you want more info, repeat most important questions, give more detail about your priorities or ask more specific questions. The folks who get the most help usually post several times to try to increase the flow, but the response rate varies even when the thread starter makes an effort. Weekends are often slow.

Good luck with the search / evaluation process.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-17-2016 at 05:07 PM..

Old 01-17-2016, 07:34 PM

14,033 posts, read 20,349,383 times
Consider Tennessee, Kentucky.
Cheaper living.
No jobs, but whatever.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:05 AM

14,555 posts, read 22,418,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Consider Tennessee, Kentucky.
Cheaper living.
No jobs, but whatever.
I'm scratching my head on this one.

Did you post in the correct thread? If so, what the hell are you talking about?

Old 01-18-2016, 12:58 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,138,987 times
Newash12, being quite familiar with the Wasatch Front, if you liked living in Ogden I believe you'd like it here as well. I've mostly addressed Colorado Springs (COS), but comments on weather can apply to the entire Front Range.

-How is the weather during the seasons? (heat, snow, rain, etc)
Somewhat similar to Utah. We have a dry climate with about 12-17 inches average precipitation and 300 days of sunshine a year. We are generally cooler in the summer and a little warmer in winter than Ogden is. Winters are quite mild for our elevation although it can also get cold but not for long periods. We have better air quality and few if any inversion days even in Denver.

-Are there tornadoes? If so, how frequent and bad are they?
We get the occasional tornado on the eastern plains and a few alerts in the cities, but nothing like the Midwest. We do get hail almost every year and afternoon thunderstorms are common during summer afternoons. The showers are usually brief and cool things down on warmer days. Average temps in summer are around 75-90 with winter in the 40's.

-Are there malls or department store centers within these areas? If not, I don't mind traveling to the big city: Denver
Yes we have indoor and outdoor malls. Usually no reason to travel to Denver unless you're looking for a specialty item. There are also outlet stores in Castle Rock, between COS and Denver as well as between Denver and Ft. Collins.

-What types of crime/violence occur in these areas? (I don't mind some crime, I grew up in St. Louis, MO so I'm pretty sure I can deal, LOL).
About average for a mid-sized city. Last year there were 26 homicides in COS. The southeast part of town is more infamous for crime in general.

-What is the job market like? I currently work for in call center for an insurance company and could have the opportunity to work at home from a remote location, but I'd still like to hear what opportunities are out there. My husband also works in a call center, but a job is a job and he has worked production/warehouse jobs before.
I'm an insurance agent. No shortage of call center jobs in COS. Several large telecom and insurance companies have call centers here, such as CAA, USAA and Progressive, just to name a few.

- Which location is financially affordable on rent?
Rents are rising in COS. You can still find a nice home or apartment about anywhere in the city and COL is just below the national average. Newer homes and apartments tend to be on the north and east sides of town. Affordability and location will depend on where you work and of course your budget.

Hope that helps a little!

Tom

Last edited by Kar54; 01-18-2016 at 01:36 PM..

Old 01-18-2016, 07:23 PM

Kar54, thanks for your response. It really helps get a feel of CO in general.

davebarnes, I think we've already decided on Colorado, any other state is out of the question at this point, but thank you .

Old 01-19-2016, 05:29 PM

5,342 posts, read 7,216,566 times
Greeley is a college town, home to UNC, and a plains/agrarian based industry over all. Some people mention some concern over crime/gangs in Greeley, but I don't know enough to say if I would agree.
Ft. Collins - of the cities you listed, this one is probably the youngest with a large university as its heart - Colorado State University. Closer to some mountains. Probably a little more diversity, but not drastically so.
Longmont - the last time I was there it was basically a gas station stop on the way between Denver and Fort Collins but I think it has grown a great deal and come more into its own and now might be considered more of a bedroom community to Denver.
Pueblo - Pueblo has a longer history than the other towns - going back at least to the 1840s or so. It sits right on the border between the U.S. and Mexico when the Arkansas was the divider. It also has a pretty big college - CSU Pueblo - but it has a relatively small influence on the city as a whole. Pueblo is the most blue collar and least conservative of the listed towns in many ways. It has a strong hispanic culture but is still primarily 'white'. It used to be known for its Steel industry and has never really quite find something to replace that when it essentially died. There are definitely some run down areas in Pueblo and some areas where gangs are a problem. But there are plenty of nice areas too. Many people seem to like Pueblo West.

You might also like Colorado Springs, Grand Junction, Golden, Canon City, La Junta, Lamar, Fountain, Falcon, Monument, or Palmer Lake, to name a few.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:46 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,424,164 times
OP, Kar54 sold me on Colorado Springs for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or