U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2016, 12:35 PM

49 posts, read 241,926 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am interested in hearing about things to do in Grand Junction for families with young children as we are relocating there this summer for my husband's job. I'd also like to hear about the public schools.

We have two boys - ages 1 and 4. I understand that Grand Junction is a very outdoorsy city, and we are not "outdoorsy" by nature. HOWEVER, I am interested in trying new things and becoming more of an outdoors person. My oldest son does love to be outside, so I want to support my kids in fostering an interest in outdoor activities as much as possible. What might be some things we could try as amateurs?

And on any given weekend, what are some activities that we can do with our kids? Are there museums we can go to that have kid-friendly activities? I understand there is a splash pad in town? What about sports through a Dept of Recreation? My oldest son enjoyed the tumbling class he took recently in our current town - it would be great if there was something like that in GJ. I've also heard there are orchards in the area that are beautiful to tour.

Also, I'd like to know more about the school system. We will be sending our kids to public school when the times comes.

I understand that GJ has a lot of things going for it (outdoor scenery and beauty), less traffic, and all four seasons (right?). I also know it has limitations, and that it doesn't have as much shopping/dining as a larger metro area. That's okay with us, and I'm determined to love living in GJ, so any and all suggestions would be welcomed. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 05:43 PM

12 posts, read 12,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgirl1009 View Post
Hi, I am interested in hearing about things to do in Grand Junction for families with young children as we are relocating there this summer for my husband's job. I'd also like to hear about the public schools.

We have two boys - ages 1 and 4. I understand that Grand Junction is a very outdoorsy city, and we are not "outdoorsy" by nature. HOWEVER, I am interested in trying new things and becoming more of an outdoors person. My oldest son does love to be outside, so I want to support my kids in fostering an interest in outdoor activities as much as possible. What might be some things we could try as amateurs?

And on any given weekend, what are some activities that we can do with our kids? Are there museums we can go to that have kid-friendly activities? I understand there is a splash pad in town? What about sports through a Dept of Recreation? My oldest son enjoyed the tumbling class he took recently in our current town - it would be great if there was something like that in GJ. I've also heard there are orchards in the area that are beautiful to tour.

Also, I'd like to know more about the school system. We will be sending our kids to public school when the times comes.

I understand that GJ has a lot of things going for it (outdoor scenery and beauty), less traffic, and all four seasons (right?). I also know it has limitations, and that it doesn't have as much shopping/dining as a larger metro area. That's okay with us, and I'm determined to love living in GJ, so any and all suggestions would be welcomed. Thank you!
Well it's been a long time since I had small kids but when my son was young (he's 25 now) he loved to go to the Dinosaur Museum in Fruita. There is also a "Dinosaur Days" celebration around July, not sure of the exact date, where the kids can dig for (fake) dinosaur bones.

There is a rec center in Fruita with an indoor and outdoor pool and a large pool in Grand Junction in the park.

My son played T-ball and soccer but when he was 10 he decided he liked football better so he played that. He also took fencing lessons thro parks and rec.

One thing we did when he was young was take a raft trip down the river. A place called Rim Rock Adventures offers rafting and they had a trip that lasted about 2 hours. It was down a mild part of the river and the grandparents came along too.

I know there are places to take tumbling lessons and I think you can do that through parks and rec.

As I said it's been a long time...

Old 01-31-2016, 07:38 AM

49 posts, read 241,926 times
Thanks! He would LOVE to go to a dinosaur museum, so we'll definitely check that out. Your suggestions are all very helpful.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:16 AM

56 posts, read 51,264 times
I've lived in GJ for 22 years. I've heard many times there are complaints that "there's nothing for kids to do here". I do not have children but from what I've seen there are TONS of things for kids to be involved in here. If you can't find SOMETHING to be involved in here (for both kids AND adults) I think you're just not looking very hard. From the attitude you seem to have in your post I think you'll do just fine here!!

Old 02-01-2016, 06:24 AM

1,598 posts, read 2,746,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westslopeguy View Post
I've lived in GJ for 22 years. I've heard many times there are complaints that "there's nothing for kids to do here". I do not have children but from what I've seen there are TONS of things for kids to be involved in here. If you can't find SOMETHING to be involved in here (for both kids AND adults) I think you're just not looking very hard. From the attitude you seem to have in your post I think you'll do just fine here!!
We have 2 small children ( 4yo and 2yo ) and yes, your options for things to do are quite limited. If it involved outdoor activity, the options are endless - and that's one of the reasons I originally decided to move out here.

The problem is, you don't always want to do something active and outdoors. Sometimes we'd prefer something educational, etc, and those options are just too few out here.

Museums, Zoo'z, etc - I think important things to visit occasionally, are just not here.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:15 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,608,047 times
While I cannot speak to the things to do indoors as of yet (I moved to Grand Junction about 9 weeks ago and with the holiday travel and what not we have been begging for a weekend to do nothing), I will say that I have been very impressed with the schools. We moved from what is considered as one of the better school districts in the state (I and many I know disagree with the ratings but that is another thread) out to Grand Junction and love it. My daughter is special needs and their program here has been great. but assuming your children are typical children than I will tell you that my 9 year old son is having a hard time and I love it. He is struggling with his school work trying to catch up on many subjects that he fell behind on in the supposedly better school system, the teachers and school have been great giving him some extra attention and working with him to answer any questions, and in the few weeks he has been here he has learned more than I believe he learned in the last 2 years at his previous school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or