U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2016, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 1,724 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at these homes for a while (LivingHomes - Modern Modular Prefab Homes) and would like to buy land in Colorado somewhere between Colorado Springs and Ft. Collins to live in it. I have fallen IN LOVE with this style and these green features! I know the greywater setup will probably not be allowed in CO, but otherwise I believe that the capacity for solar energy would be well suited for the CO sunshine.

This is a MODULAR home, not a manufactured home or "trailer home", but one that requires a permanent cement foundation. Having said that, are there any other issues that any of you think I need to be aware of (other than local covenants in certain areas, etc.) that would be prohibitive? I am just starting to look for land and such.

Here is a room by room audio tour of the largest and first home: http://www.livinghomes.net/tour.html]LivingHomes | Modern Modular Prefab | Green Home Builder Los Angeles (turn up your speakers). I might add, it is a NET ZERO home.

Thanks in advance for all replies.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 05:06 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,052,603 times
My first step would be to contact that firm to see if they can even deliver one of those homes a thousand miles away from their base in California. The transportation costs may be extremely high and vibrating and flexing one of those homes for over a thousand miles of highway driving might cause internal damage.

Here's a link to a local LEED Platinum firm that might be of some help to you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:36 PM

Mike,

Thank you for the link. I have already contacted them a while back and confirmed that they can bring it to CO. I will take a look at the local firm you suggested.

Anybody else know anything about this type of home building specific to CO?

Old 01-31-2016, 08:04 PM

3,048 posts, read 2,077,790 times
Modular homes are not unheard of here. There are some developments that have partnership agreements with builders for them that use them pretty exclusively. Other areas will prohibit there use no matter what. You'll want to check the locales you are considering and check with their zoning offices to verify they are allowable. Ft Collins to Colorado Springs is a huge swath of land encompassing many different counties and municipalities that will have a host of rules about these types of houses. More than any of use to begin to guess at until you can narrow it down to just a few areas.

I did not read through their website of information, but would also caution you if any of these models use in house sanitation and rain water collection as a means of operation. Most front range counties you are considering require some sort of waste water processing system or connection and collection of rain water is specifically prohibited in Colorado unless you meet some very stringent requirements.

Before paying for shipping from Ca to Co, I'd also suggest researching providers locally that may have similar models, or be authorized distributors for the company you are already considering.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:44 PM

Thanks TCHP,

Thank you for the reply. I am also already aware of CO's restriction on water rights and water/rainwater harvesting. I know these homes come equipped to siphon the tub and sinks' greywater for distribution to the lanscape, etc., and I probably wouldn't even be allowed to do that either, which has me bummed. I figure I would just modify the plans for that and pump the well water into the cistern that comes with the house (for rainwater collection) as a temp water storage so the well pump isn't constantly working. There's got to be a way to do that instead.

Specifically I was looking into the area in and around Larkspur, CO due to the proximity to Castle Rock and other Denver 'burbs. I know it is in Douglas County, and I have been doing some research and I know that there are issues with water all over the state. I have read NUMEROUS posts on this forum and have gotten quite an education about it as a result. This is the primary area that I am considering, but the water issues do give me pause in Douglas county, as some have mentioned to exercise caution there. Ideally I would like to drill our own well, as stated.

The other areas I am looking at are west of Denver, from Golden down I-70 to maybe as far as Idaho Springs. It looks like the Evergreen area is pretty nice also, and doable.

I will run my own business and work primarily out of my home, and possibly rent a very small office in the nearest city/town to work out of, so work really isn't an issue. I just don't want to be too remote from the major metropolitan areas so that grocery shopping and other "stuff" isn't HOURS away.

As far as looking in to the local providers, I did consider just buying the house plans from LivingHomes and getting a quote from the local company to see if they can build it instead of hauling it from CA. It's true they may just contract out with local companies to get the work done, anyway, so I may even come out cheaper buying locally. I do want it with all of LivingHomes' green features as it is in accordance with CO law. Looks like rainwater collection and using greywater feature is OUT for now though.

What I have noticed are some of the places we are looking at have covenants that prohibit manufactured homes. One place I looked at even specified that if it was built in a factory, it would be prohibited, and I was like, "Really?" These are not trailer houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado