U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2016, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,490 times

Advertisements

Hi. My family and I are considering moving to Pueblo in a year or so and I would appreciate any feedback from current or past residents from there. I am from Illinois so this would be a big move since we've lived here all our lives. I have 2 school age kids so my main concern is the school systems there as well as job outlook and housing (renting for the moment). This is the state that my boyfriend and i agreed on and Pueblo or Colorado Springs are our 2 interests. Also, I was curious about how well residents are to newcomers in the area. I would really appreciate any input you could give to help in making our decision. Again, it would be for a year or so which I think would provide adaquate time to do our research as well. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 10:39 AM

14,500 posts, read 22,337,836 times
District 60 is horid. District 70 is pretty good.

Job opportunities? It depends. What are you looking for with regard to employment?

How in the world did you come up with Pueblo as an option? Why not the Denver metro area or somewhere up the Front Range?

Do an advanced search with Pueblo as the subject and Colorado as the state and see what comes up. There's a bunch of stuff for you to read.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:42 PM

18 posts, read 39,122 times
I certainly wouldn't choose Pueblo over any other area in Colorado. I think alot of people think Pueblo because of it's relatively low cost of living. But, you get what you pay for. Pueblo schools (D60) are pretty bad. We're in 70 and its better, but still not great. I think for this huge move you are talking about doing, you need to be very certain you will be happy wherever you land. For me, it wouldn't be Pueblo.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:33 AM

14,500 posts, read 22,337,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socofam View Post
We're in 70 and its better, but still not great.
Where in district 70? Mesa, Pueblo West, or Colorado City / Rye, or Beulah?

Old 02-21-2016, 01:35 PM

466 posts, read 907,641 times
I can't tell you anything about the school system here in Pueblo, because our children are long out of school.
We just moved last December to Pueblo from Portland, OR. I was a bit reluctant about moving to Pueblo, because of all the talk about crime here. We are renters without a huge budget, so we looked for rentals around 800 bucks. We also have 2 dogs, a labrador-mix and a cheweenie. We found a house on the east side, in the Belmont neighborhood. The Belmont neighborhood is real nice and seems to be quite safe. A couple of times a package was delivered and just put near the door and after a few hours it was still there. So, that is pretty good in my eyes.
It seems a quite neighborhood, but of course I don't really know that much, because we only live here 3 months, but I like it. A huge plus here too, is there is a trail along the Arkansas river just down the road, and it is a trail that goes all the way to the Pueblo Reservoir. There is a little map that says that the trail is around 30 miles long. So that is a great thing to have nearby. There is still so much to explore, but what we have seen and experienced so far is great. I also go with our dogs to the dog park every day and people are real friendly and easy to talk to. The dog park here in Pueblo (near the zoo) is great, it has restrooms (heated in the winter) and water for the dogs.... also in the winter, when everything is frozen. This is the first time I encountered this, and is really great. You don't have to bring your own water for your dogs anymore. They planted more trees too a few weeks ago. All in all a great place to hang out with your dog and socialize.
The riverwalk is great, and will be even better in summer with all the restaurants with patios they have there. Looking forward to experience it.
I think Pueblo is a great place to live.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:25 PM

466 posts, read 907,641 times
Now I am living here for 9 months and I can't wait to move. First of all, I have fibromyalgia and this weather is really, really bad for me. I never have had so many flare-ups before. I pain is worse, my insomnia is worse, my depression is worse. The meds I got here aren't helping a lot, and the doctors I have seen here aren't very knowledgeable about fibromyalgia either. I use now homeopathy again, it helps better than all the other medication I got prescribed.

The weather is crazy here, I heard now quite a few time, the saying here is: if you don't like the weather wait 5 min. and it will change. Spring and summer are the worst, it is hot - and I don't care that it is dry heat, it just means, it is hot and your skin is more itchy than ever before (itchy skin can be also a part of fibromyalgia - and nearly every afternoon, evening, night, dark skies move in, sometimes with a thunderstorm, sometimes not. Because of the barometric pressure changes, that is real bad for fibromyalgia patients.

Than the people, I met a lot of nice people in the dog park - there is a really nice one here near the zoo - but most of them are from other states and the people who are born and raised here.... well, I have had really bad experience here.

My neighbor is from Pueblo and he totally ripped us off. He was a CDOT mechanic - he is retired now - and I trusted him when our car broke down and the freeze plugs needed repair. He said he would do it and we trusted him, because he is a mechanic, right and seems a nice neighbor.

Well, he "repaired it" and it took him 5 days to do that and I paid him immediately, when I got our jeep back. 2 days later I went to Colorado Springs and on the way back, the car was suddenly shutting down. I overheated badly and I called him to tow me back home. I had a bad feeling about his "repair" and lucky enough I had a friend who was a mechanic too (when I needed the repair with the freeze plugs he was in the hospital) and when he saw the engine, he said it he never saw a car that hot before, that the engine melted the water pump. We had a total loss now and a huge repair bill.

I try to talk about it but he denied that he did anything wrong and told my husband, well, you can take me to court. I wanted only my money back, the money we paid for his "repair". Now, he doesn't even want to talk to me. Well, seems the attitude here in general: I don't give a ****. I heard other stories from the people I met at the dog park, but I always took it with a grain of salt, well guess what, Pueblo sucks.

So people, I bet there are decent people living in Pueblo, but I can't wait till we move.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-26-2016 at 09:43 AM..

Old 08-25-2016, 08:38 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
I live in Pueblo and love it. We are a live and let live city so new residents are welcomed. I do not have kids so will not comment on the school system expect to say I loved it and went on to get a masters.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:35 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,102,128 times
the only city in Colorado where a person can afford to live but not very many jobs either

Old 08-14-2017, 07:00 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,102,128 times
Home
General Laborer/Solar Crew Member
HCS Renewable Energy LLC - Pueblo, CO
HCS Renewable Energy is currently accepting applications for solar field crew members in Pueblo, CO.

Yay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado