U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 12:04 PM

29 posts, read 104,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFults View Post
Montanagirl,

Just wondering why the move from beautiful northern Montana to Colorado? We have been looking to relocate and are trying to decide between No. Montana (Kalispell, Whitefish), southern Montana (Bozeman) and Colorado (Durango). Durango is currently leading our "spreadsheet" wars. I would love any feedback on Montana that you could offer. I have travelled thru Kaispell and stayed for a week in Fortine. (Loved it!) My husband and I took a "look and see" trip to Bozeman a few months ago. We are now looking to take a similar trip to Durango. Curious as to your perspective.
To LFULTS..I am glad you asked me the question about why we want to move from Montana...We do not live in Whitefish/Kalispell/Bozeman area...We live 50 miles northeast, (sorta central I guess )of Canada and 110 miles from largest town which is Great Falls,Mt...it gets VERY cold here..we love the people but winters are like living in Alberta Canada..the summers are awesome but they don't last long and sunshine IS an issue for me(not enough obviously!)..the severe cold here is bad for my husbands back..we like the cold in winter but not THIS cold!!! weather here tuesday, Nov 28th is --4 BELOW (high )and a low temp of --15 BELOW...get my drift?!!! yep, a bit much and since my hubby is disabled we don't have to live in such extreme weather..we plan on moving by summer '07....As far as living in Whitefish/Kalispell it is beautiful there but very dreary in winter and housing prices go up daily..California millionaires have moved in and forced the locals out by raising taxes big-time...Bozeman,Mt weather is ok with me but too large an area than I want to live and age in..it will only increase..traffic is already an issue there if ya ask me..Near Billings,Mt. there is Laurel,Mt and it's a nice town but can be very "clicky" with the locals..(Am I gonna get in trouble for stating that?!!)-but they will eventually accept you as they do with all people..I wouldn't mind living in the Helena,Mt area or surrounding towns...a bit warmer there and love the valley...lots to do there too!! Let me also state that no matter where you live in Montana, the wind blows and in winter it can make the temps go down more than is registered !! I also like the Lewistown,Mt area but again, the wind will blow..warm or cold, whatever the season is..Property taxes are high in my opinion but we don't pay sales tax either...love going to buy something and it's exactly what is on the sticker price...(hotel rooms are taxed tho with luxury tax)
My husband was born/raised here and would rather experience another part of the U.S.-having farmed here and worked for the railroad all his life for the last 30 yrs..It's just a choice he has made and I am all for it since I want the sunshine more days per year!! If you have any questions about Montana, please feel free to ask..It is a wonderful state, but we want something new..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 12:26 PM

TO LFULTS (AGAIN!!)
you had asked me about Fortine,Mt and wanted to let you know I know nothing about the area..but I looked it up on the US map and it looks COLD and snowy in winter..it is very close to Canada so you would get winter winds/cold out of there for sure..if you really want to know anything about the weather of any town, look at their weather averages/snow/wind/mean temps and compare it to where you live or--what temps you know you can live with..for instance if you go into MSN.com weather and you type in town, or zip code then scroll down and you can see what the temps are for the rest of the months..remember these are only averages..so what I am doing is to look daily at Durango,co to see what the temps really are..this is where I think I want to live..Oh!! another montana town I like is Libby,mt...I have answered your questions on another page about the other towns..LOOK!! Good luck also!!

Old 11-26-2006, 03:59 PM

55 posts, read 197,777 times
Montanagirl,

Thanks for all the info! I surely understand all your reasons but was curious as we have been looking at both MT and CO. Yes, I know it is very cold in the northern regions which is why we focused on Bozeman, which claims 300 days of sun a year. Sunshine is important to me as well...I don't mind some cold temps and snow, but don't like the dreary gray skies....Bozeman does have some traffic issues, and is getting pretty pricey. However, decent job prospects, great schools are a draw. Durango is looking great although we are worried about the whole job thing. My husband would bring his job with him as long as it lasted (hopefully that would be a while!). Can't wait to take a trip out there and check it out. Maybe this summer we'll both be Durango residents! Best of luck to you...hope you find what you are looking for. I'd be interested in hearing where you decide to live!

Old 11-30-2006, 03:37 PM

To Crackerjack--
Thank you for the info you posted..now I have more questions..LOL!! Can you tell me about the snow--I have seen it stated that Durango area gets about 71 inches of snow a year..does it stick and everyone has to shovel out of their homes?!! Or does it snow and melt soon there after ? I am not used to that much snow where I live and to me it seems like a LOT of snow to live in..So what I really would like to know is in winter months, how much actually stays on the ground for the duration of winter...I know higher elevations would have more snow, I mean around durango and not much higher..Also, are you able to have a nice lawn and grow vegetables/if so, for how long in the summer months, approximately? Is the wind a problem all year long? wind chill here can make a fairly warm day seem like the arctic..LOL!! no kidding...also my mother would move with us, are there any senior housing to live in that serves meals other than her living in a rest home? Here, she lives in a retirement apt and she recieves 3 meals a day for about $500 a month!! I know this is a lot to ask but I need to know the answers to all these questions while considering moving to Durango..Thanks SOO much....
I wanted to mention... in one of my last statements on this website (earlier post of mine)--I said a lot of "millionaire Californians" had moved into the Whitefish,Mt area and raised the taxes/prices on housing there..True!! But I did not mean to imply in any way that I disliked californians..I am also a native californian and I don't blame anyone for wanting a better life elsewhere....Don't we all!!

Old 12-05-2006, 03:51 AM

476 posts, read 2,127,449 times
Montana Girl, I think Crackerjack left for Albuquerque and on to Durango in a few months so he isn't online. I am from Farmington, New Mexico, and I know Durango well so I will try to anwer your questions plus I sent you a Private Message so look for it. Ok, Durango is a pretty city and growing rapidly. It doesnt get much snow. They have had like two inches all year so nothing bad. It melts off quick in Durango. Usually the days are warm and nice. Sunny and dry. The nights in winter are cold. Most of the west is cold right now even down in southern New Mexico which is usually warm, is chilly because of a major cold blast from Canada. The days in summer are warm to hot and summer nights are cool and great. The wind doesn't blow much at all in Durango which makes Durango extra great. Durango doesnt get the winds like the front range gets. Famington, where I live gets wind but Durango is great about that. They have several retirement places including senior housing and apartments but I dont know any names. You can look them up in the phone books when you are in Durango. HTH and I wish I could answer more but I can say that I think Durango is the best city to live in the south and west part of Colorado IMO.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:56 PM

Thumbs up Thank you I LUVNM !!

To ILUVNM---
Thanks soooo much for replying to Crackerjacks questions I had asked!!
I had already made out my christmas cards telling everyone I thought I'd found the perfect spot to move--when these Stats appear and made me totally confused...I really appreciate you setting me straight..Now I don't have to tear open ALL those cards, I can send them out tomarrow..LOL!!
I am SO relieved to know Durango IS what I thought it is..
My best...Montanagirl...

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 02:18 PM..

Old 12-08-2006, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanagirl View Post
To ILUVNM---
Thanks soooo much for replying to Crackerjacks questions I had asked!!

I had already made out my christmas cards telling everyone I thought I'd found the perfect spot to move--when these Stats appear and made me totally confused...I really appreciate you setting me straight..Now I don't have to tear open ALL those cards, I can send them out tomarrow..LOL!!
I am SO relieved to know Durango IS what I thought it is..
My best...Montanagirl...
Glad to help. I have a good friend in Durango and I asked her about those weather stats and she is certain the low stats about 14.5\15. of rain\snow is in Durango and the other 20.2\66.5 rain\snow would be up at Purgatory, but I think it is called Durango Ski Resort now but the same place. Anyhoo, that area up there is way higher in altitude up at the ski resort and they get lots of snow up there and out toward the snowy town of Silverton. By the way, if you are afraid of heights, Silverton isnt for you. I thought my heart was up in my throat most of the way up there! She has lived in Durango for over 15 years so I know she knows what she is talking about. Take care.

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-07-2007, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,281 times
Default Durango Crime Stats in 2005?

Can any Durango locals comment on the dramatic increase in the crime stats after 2004? http://www.city-data.com/city/Durango-Colorado.html

I am curious about Durango as a place to relocate and wondering if there is any obvious reason (population change dynamics? economic?) for such a dramatic jump in crime per capita (all the subcategories of crimes except arson).

Thanks.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:30 PM

21 posts, read 50,191 times
Hi Montana Girl,

Just wanted to let you know that my fiance and I are looking to relocate from Illinois to the Durango/Bayfield area within the next year or so. So, if you are interested in meeting people your age (I'm 48 and he's 54) in that area, we would love to hear more from you to exchange notes and see how you are progressing in your search.

We just visited the area over Thanksgiving, flew into Albuquerque and drove through Santa Fe/Taos and into Colorado visiting Pagosa Springs, Bayfield, Durango, Cortez and Dolores. We were originally looking at Cortez but didn't care for the "look" of it. We really loved Durango but found that housing there is over our budget ($400,000 to $500,000 for a 3 bed/3 bath with a decent sized lot). We then started looking at Bayfield which is just 15 miles east of Durango and have found we really like that area. The town is small (pop. of only 1500 to 2000) but it has your "basics" (groceries, liquor, fast food, gas) and it is just a short drive to Durango which has all your essentials such as shopping, dining, lodging, entertainment.

We found a subdivision if you will called Forest Lake just north of Bayfield. It has a "resorty" feel even though the realtor on property told us that over 60 to 70% of the residents live there year round. You can get a very nice 3 bed/3 bath for under $350,000 and some of the lots are up to 2 acres. The area is beautiful with mountains in the horizon, tons of huge pines and some aspens and there is even a little pond in the center of the subdivision. It has a club house with limited amentities and it feels like a little community of its own. Seems very laid back (not sure about all the covenants as yet) but people had their dogs loose outside in their yards. That is important to us because we are HUGE animal people and don't want to have to keep our dogs on leashes. It is also very close to 2 large lakes (retention areas) which are GORGEOUS with reportedly great fishing (we didn't have time!).

Just wanted to give you some information as we are in the same situation as you are...looking to move to an area that is totally unknown and mysterious. It can be exciting but you want to make sure you make the right choice.

If there is anyone else out there who is familiar with the Bayfield, CO area, specially Forest Lakes, I would love to hear from you, especially you, Crackerjack.

All the best,
Shar in Illinois

Old 01-08-2007, 08:57 AM

Hi Shar, I will try to help you the best I can. First about Crackerjack, I know from reading his posts that he moved to Durango and isnt online anymore. I used to read his posts so I know more about the area but anyhoo I will give you my limited knowledge. Bayfield is a small town as you know and my Durango friend who is like my Four Corners "guru" as she knows alot about the area and she said Bayfield is probably one of the best places to raise a family. The schools are great and I know that I like the green pastures with cattle and horses. It is quite pretty. Yes it would be cheaper there to buy a place. Forest Lakes? I think that is a suburb near Vallecito? If it is the one I am thinking about it has lots of trees. Tons of trees. My only concern would be possible forest fires being so dense. I would buy in a more open area with fewer trees or if you do buy there, keep your property clear of underbrush and too many trees. It is pretty. I dont know much else about it. There are cheaper properties too as you go out toward Arboles and Allison but it does get further from Durango if you have to work in Durango.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado