U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:12 AM

476 posts, read 2,123,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious_guy View Post
Can any Durango locals comment on the dramatic increase in the crime stats after 2004? http://www.city-data.com/city/Durango-Colorado.html

I am curious about Durango as a place to relocate and wondering if there is any obvious reason (population change dynamics? economic?) for such a dramatic jump in crime per capita (all the subcategories of crimes except arson).

Thanks.
I asked my Durango friend and she said there was like one or two murders and those were a boyfriend jilted kind of thing. Nothing else. There are some thefts as tourists come in and leave everything unlocked, cars too. Not smart. Not much else. Some burglaries were happening out in the lakes area but they caught them. So I think Durango is a safe place. I live in Farmington compared to there, Durango has no crime. I see people walking all over the place. Nobody seems afraid. I asked my friend and her quote was "What??" You gotta be kidding me? Crime in Durango, where?" unquote. She just laughed and a Durango guy that was with her laughed hard at that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 05:13 PM

21 posts, read 50,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LUVNM View Post
Hi Shar, I will try to help you the best I can. First about Crackerjack, I know from reading his posts that he moved to Durango and isnt online anymore. I used to read his posts so I know more about the area but anyhoo I will give you my limited knowledge. Bayfield is a small town as you know and my Durango friend who is like my Four Corners "guru" as she knows alot about the area and she said Bayfield is probably one of the best places to raise a family. The schools are great and I know that I like the green pastures with cattle and horses. It is quite pretty. Yes it would be cheaper there to buy a place. Forest Lakes? I think that is a suburb near Vallecito? If it is the one I am thinking about it has lots of trees. Tons of trees. My only concern would be possible forest fires being so dense. I would buy in a more open area with fewer trees or if you do buy there, keep your property clear of underbrush and too many trees. It is pretty. I dont know much else about it. There are cheaper properties too as you go out toward Arboles and Allison but it does get further from Durango if you have to work in Durango.
Hi ILUVNM!

Thanks for the info...I really appreciate all the information on this website. So Crackerjack moved back to Durango but why isn't he online anymore?? Doesn't need to get his "fix" because he's back in his favorite city? LOL!!

Yes, Forest Lakes is north of Bayfield off of CR501 on the way to Vallecito. It is VERY heavily wooded and absolutely beautiful. The housing seems very reasonable and it is in an association so I was just wondering how strict their covenants are. It's nice to have covenants in a way to keep things under control but sometimes they can be TOO controlling We did see a lot of dogs in the neighborhood and they were loose in their yards which is what we are looking for. We have dogs and do not want to live somewhere where you have to have them under lock and key!

Anyway, about the fires, I understand that one of the Reservoirs (I believe it was Vallecito) had a fire a few years ago. Is that very unusual for this area? I would think so as it doesn't seem dry enough to cause any real problem. Maybe it was an extremely dry year? I guess anything can burn if it gets hot enough, just didn't know that it could happen in that green of an area. I did notice that a lot of the houses have a sign saying that the underbrush had been cleared so many feet away from the house. Is that a common thing in this area?

We don't have kids but it's nice to know that the schools are good. We also have our own business so won't need to drive into Durango but will probably look for an office and small warehouse possibly in Bayfield (anyone out there know of anything for rent?).

Also, I am thinking about opening up a "dog camp" which would cater to dog owners who want to give them something special to do while they go to work. Kind of like a doggy daycare...do you think there would be a call for this sort of business near Durango?? I noticed that there were a lot of people with their dogs along the river in Durango so it seemed like a very dog friendly city. Any input from anyone out there about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the info and look forward to hearing more.

Have a great day!
Shar

Old 01-08-2007, 05:22 PM

55 posts, read 197,459 times
Sharf315,

Hi! Just wanted to touch base with you. My family is considering relocating to Durango/Bayfield next summer (June). We will be visiting at the end of this month. I am quite the "doggy" person myself. (10 years training Search and Rescue dogs, have a pet business here). I have also thought about starting a business in the Durango area so I'll be curious to read any feedback you get on your idea. If we both end up there, maybe we should connect.

LFults

Old 01-08-2007, 06:19 PM

21 posts, read 50,073 times
Hi LFULTS,

You are moving from CA right and you have 2 German Shepherds?? I read a bunch of your posts, especially the ones between you, Crackerjack and I LUVNM. Isn't this a great place to get info??!!

Anyway, thanks for writing. It was great to hear from you. How is your search going? Have you decided on Durango for sure or are you still looking? I think I posted something on one of your discussions about Forest Lakes which is north of Bayfield and about 20 miles east of Durango. That is where my fiance and I are looking as the housing there seem a lot less expensive than in Durango. Unfortunately, that area would not work for my "dog camp" idea but we would be purchasing a "starter" home just to get moved and then will start looking for acreage once we get there. My fiance has his own business so we can bring the business with us. The dog camp idea has been a dream of mine and I would probably start out slowly while still working with my fiance in his business.

What type of pet business do you have? I would love to hear more so please post again when you can.

Have a wonderful evening,
Shar

Old 01-08-2007, 07:18 PM

55 posts, read 197,459 times
sharf,

Well, you are right about the CA, but wrong dogs..(hee, hee). I currently have a 14 yr old Border Collie. He was my second Search dog until I had to retire him...not sure he will still be here for the move . He's really getting on and having troubles. I had my dogs before my kids so after we lost my first SAR dog (border collie x golden ret. mix...amazing dog!!), we decided on a puppy. My husband wanted to choose a breed so he chose a golden ret. Nice enough dog..good for a family but quite a change from the BC! I've been out of the SAR business for a while as it's not too condusive to family life and my dogs aged out of it. Sure did love it though! Dogs, wilderness, adrenaline rushes, helping community..what wasn't to love? Anyway, I started a dog training/pet sitting business here with a partner. A huge business out here, although we worked at keeping it small until we decided how far we wanted to take it. Now that my family is considering moving, will have to let it go to my partner, which is fine. Can't say I loved it. The whole day care/doggy camp thing is big here. Of course, we have a lot of double income families with disposable income. For instance, many of our clients want to have 3 visits a day for their pets while they are away. That's $45.00 a day for us. Overnights..anywhere from $75.00-$100.00 a night. Dont' think Durango would support that, but who knows?

Durango sounds wonderful on paper. We are also considering Bayfield as the housing is much more affordable. Schools are pretty good in both places. We'll be there Jan 29-Feb 3, so will take a good look around. Main scary thing is the job market. My husband would bring his job with him (he's a software guy in a start up), and as long as that held, we'd be okay. If that went under, might be scary. I think it's worth the risk unless we get there and just hate it. Can't imagine that because I can't find anyone to say anything negative about the place except that it's expensive (a very relative term...we're in the SF Bay Area!)

Well, this got long..probably should have emailed you privately...sorry to others who read thru, but was just excited that we might find people with common interests who might also become Durango "newbies"! Let me know how your search goes....and you can use my email to tell me about your pets! I'll report back from Durango after our trip (we go to Steamboat Srings from Feb 4-Feb 7, so home after that)

LFults

Old 01-09-2007, 01:33 AM

643 posts, read 2,227,832 times
You went to Durango/Bayfield/Pagosa on your visit? So what did you think about Pagosa Springs? Im worried about it being too isolated especially with a teenager. It doesnt have much to do but ski. I love the look of it but I also love being able to get to the city for her extra classes or a night/day out seeing the sights and art, I was also thinking Mancos...did you stop there? North to Silt is my next option which is east of Grand Junction but it is pretty boxed in. I would like to be able to get to Taos and Santa Fe when I want. Any help would be great! I did talk to a real estate agent in Pagosa and they got half the snow they usually get this year. I actually think this weather trend will pretty much stick, so maybe this year would be a good year to watch and see what weather you would like even if it seems wacky.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:46 AM

Hey gang, I have got to get to work but will write more later. Just wanted to comment that dog businesses should do good there. About the fire at the lake years ago, yeah it was a really dry year that year and isolated but just be aware of living in a forest area thick like that and take precautions. Lovely area for sure.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharf315 View Post
Hi ILUVNM!

Thanks for the info...I really appreciate all the information on this website. So Crackerjack moved back to Durango but why isn't he online anymore?? Doesn't need to get his "fix" because he's back in his favorite city? LOL!!

Yes, Forest Lakes is north of Bayfield off of CR501 on the way to Vallecito. It is VERY heavily wooded and absolutely beautiful. The housing seems very reasonable and it is in an association so I was just wondering how strict their covenants are. It's nice to have covenants in a way to keep things under control but sometimes they can be TOO controlling We did see a lot of dogs in the neighborhood and they were loose in their yards which is what we are looking for. We have dogs and do not want to live somewhere where you have to have them under lock and key!

Anyway, about the fires, I understand that one of the Reservoirs (I believe it was Vallecito) had a fire a few years ago. Is that very unusual for this area? I would think so as it doesn't seem dry enough to cause any real problem. Maybe it was an extremely dry year? I guess anything can burn if it gets hot enough, just didn't know that it could happen in that green of an area. I did notice that a lot of the houses have a sign saying that the underbrush had been cleared so many feet away from the house. Is that a common thing in this area?

We don't have kids but it's nice to know that the schools are good. We also have our own business so won't need to drive into Durango but will probably look for an office and small warehouse possibly in Bayfield (anyone out there know of anything for rent?).

Also, I am thinking about opening up a "dog camp" which would cater to dog owners who want to give them something special to do while they go to work. Kind of like a doggy daycare...do you think there would be a call for this sort of business near Durango?? I noticed that there were a lot of people with their dogs along the river in Durango so it seemed like a very dog friendly city. Any input from anyone out there about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the info and look forward to hearing more.

Have a great day!
Shar
Shar, first off, from the posts I read of Crackerjack he seemed really outdoorsy and couldnt wait to get to Durango to live his dream. There are quite a few people in Durango who go off the grid. They are very outdoorsy people and I marvel at one who said she didnt know what "Desperate Houswives" were!! I had to chuckle! She thought maybe that it was a real show of desperate wives trying to get their husbands to change in real life! Ok. But I think that is why that city is so fit, they are out doing things and living life rather than watching others live life so hats off to them all! Me, I gotta have my "Desperate Housewives"! But my Durango friend has got me to quit smoking, to eat healthy (well, sort of) and exercising. I can easily make friends in Durango but have a harder time in Farmington, New Mexico where people are nice but reserved. In Durango, you can make as many friends as you want, easy to do there. I also think that is why their live entertainment thrives in Durango because they go out and mingle, festivals parties, etc. instead of staying and watching TV or the internet, etc. Not all do that, but a lot do.
My friend said she thought Forest Lakes did have some covenants so be sure and check what they are. Some are good ie you cant have a bull in your backyard. HAHA just kidding! Others are a pain, so check what they are. Yes people do clear brush out there. She said they take seriously clearing land so it makes it less fire prone. About Bayfield, they are building some stores and shopping center type things. Dont know what but they should also have places to rent commercially too. I love the area you are talking about. From Bayfield going up to Vallecito. A real pretty valley. Did you get to go to Durango from Vallecito via Florida Road? That is really scenic too. I got a correction from my Durango friend, she said it is pronounced Floor eeda not Flor eh da like the state. They use the Spanish sounding I guess. Anyhoo, real nice area. Did you look out at Edgemont Ranch area? I am sure probably too expensive but nice area too. I heard they were going to build like a ton of homes out in Edgemont. Dont know about prices.

I found out that the area from Hesperus going out to Farmington, another highway you go to Farmington, that area out there is less expensive and more affordable. The area has scenic mountains in the backgound but the land is more flat out there but would make good farm or ranch land. Ok, I gotta end this, it is becoming a book!

Old 01-10-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
You went to Durango/Bayfield/Pagosa on your visit? So what did you think about Pagosa Springs? Im worried about it being too isolated especially with a teenager. It doesnt have much to do but ski. I love the look of it but I also love being able to get to the city for her extra classes or a night/day out seeing the sights and art, I was also thinking Mancos...did you stop there? North to Silt is my next option which is east of Grand Junction but it is pretty boxed in. I would like to be able to get to Taos and Santa Fe when I want. Any help would be great! I did talk to a real estate agent in Pagosa and they got half the snow they usually get this year. I actually think this weather trend will pretty much stick, so maybe this year would be a good year to watch and see what weather you would like even if it seems wacky.

The great thing about Durango is it is so close to the New Mexico border and we in Farmington often go to Durango for entertainment and they come here for shopping since Farmington has about everything. We intermingle a lot. Many work in Durango but live here and vice versa. And you are close to Albuquerque, a little over three hours and about four to Santa Fe so that makes it great.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:59 PM
jbc

1 posts, read 2,108 times
Just wanted you to be aware...my husband and I are big animal lovers also, BUT...I would be careful about your dogs being off leash if you are not supervising them... I have been told on several occassions in forrest lakes (and other areas) that people have poisoned dogs... I live outside of mancos and a neighbor has told me her dog has been poisoned. Also, be aware that if a dog is on your property, you have the right to shoot it! I think it's terrible, but it happens. I guess as long as your doggies listen to you, you should be okay. Please know this is not meant to scare you... we were unaware of this when we first moved here.

[/quote]-Sharf315 wrote: Just wanted to let you know that my fiance and I are looking to relocate from Illinois to the Durango/Bayfield area within the next year or so. So, if you are interested in meeting people your age (I'm 48 and he's 54) in that area, we would love to hear more from you to exchange notes and see how you are progressing in your search.

We just visited the area over Thanksgiving, flew into Albuquerque and drove through Santa Fe/Taos and into Colorado visiting Pagosa Springs, Bayfield, Durango, Cortez and Dolores. We were originally looking at Cortez but didn't care for the "look" of it. We really loved Durango but found that housing there is over our budget ($400,000 to $500,000 for a 3 bed/3 bath with a decent sized lot). We then started looking at Bayfield which is just 15 miles east of Durango and have found we really like that area. The town is small (pop. of only 1500 to 2000) but it has your "basics" (groceries, liquor, fast food, gas) and it is just a short drive to Durango which has all your essentials such as shopping, dining, lodging, entertainment.

We found a subdivision if you will called Forest Lake just north of Bayfield. It has a "resorty" feel even though the realtor on property told us that over 60 to 70% of the residents live there year round. You can get a very nice 3 bed/3 bath for under $350,000 and some of the lots are up to 2 acres. The area is beautiful with mountains in the horizon, tons of huge pines and some aspens and there is even a little pond in the center of the subdivision. It has a club house with limited amentities and it feels like a little community of its own. Seems very laid back (not sure about all the covenants as yet) but people had their dogs loose outside in their yards. That is important to us because we are HUGE animal people and don't want to have to keep our dogs on leashes. It is also very close to 2 large lakes (retention areas) which are GORGEOUS with reportedly great fishing (we didn't have time!).

Just wanted to give you some information as we are in the same situation as you are...looking to move to an area that is totally unknown and mysterious. It can be exciting but you want to make sure you make the right choice.

If there is anyone else out there who is familiar with the Bayfield, CO area, specially Forest Lakes, I would love to hear from you, especially you, Crackerjack. All the best, Shar in Illinois [/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado