U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,404 times

Advertisements

Hi I've known about this site for a bit but am just now joining. I'm 23 and I just moved back to my home state of Arkansas about a year ago from Florida where I went to college and received an AA degree. I have only worked in retail (was a pharmacy tech for 4 years while in school) and am now a cashier for a dollar store making around 11,500/year. I'm struggling to say the least renting an apartment for 620/month including electric and a car payment of about 410 a month including insurance. I have no other debts.

Arkansas is a lot more boring than I remember growing up. There aren't really any jobs around my area and I'm really interested in getting away for good. I keep hearing how much Colorado's economy is growing since legalization and am wondering how exaggerated that is. How easy would it be for me to get a job there with my degree? I know Denver and Central Colorado are very expensive but what are some affordable cities to live in? I got burnt out on hot, muggy FL weather so the cold weather in the winter wouldn't bother me at all.

I stayed with my aunt during college so I have only been living on my own for about a year and am just trying to figure it all out. I still have enough money in my prepaid account to get a degree that actually specializes in something so I'm wondering if I should hold off of CO until then and just move back for awhile (something in computers like programming would be nice as a career). Are there just tons of available dispensary jobs waiting for me if not? Any advice would be more than appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 03:45 PM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
On your salary you'll need roommates or house mates to live in Colorado which is a good deal more expensive.

Check padmapper.com for what's available and beware the scammers on listings in craigslist.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:31 PM

129 posts, read 164,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Based View Post
I'm struggling to say the least renting an apartment for 620/month including electric and a car payment of about 410 a month including insurance. I have no other debts.
Cut that car payment immediately. $410 a month (even with insurance) is far too much for someone your age to be spending on a vehicle at your income level. If you keep that payment and move to Colorado, even if you happen to find a good living arrangement and decent job, that will always be a weight around your neck holding you down from contributing to savings, retirement, mortgage down payment, etc.

I'm not much older than you, so don't think this is coming from the perspective of a crotchety old person. I just have far too many friends who are weighed down by a needlessly expensive car payment because they want something big and nice.

I'd settle that issue before you ever even consider making a move to anywhere. You will need a large amount of savings to move here and get established.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:36 PM

4,875 posts, read 9,619,939 times
I'd be very surprised if there were "tons of available dispensary jobs waiting for you" since you are one of hundreds looking to move to Colorado for the same reason.

You have a solid plan -- move back for a while and go to school for something that you can make a career out of. Your current AA degree and job history is just not enough for you to be able to support yourself in someplace expensive like Denver. There are plenty of affordable places other than hot, muggy Florida for you to live in while you get yourself established.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:41 PM

11,053 posts, read 12,403,387 times
I moved the Colorado from Fayetteville. My car tags went from $24 a year to $250, insurance doubled. Most rentals run $1,000 a month and UP. Everything is more expensive, people in general are not friendly at all. That billion dollars in pot money must be going to line the pockets of Denver politicians because I've never seen a place with worse highways than here.

The good thing is there's no humidity or bugs and if you like, no love snow, snow 6 months out of the year, and amazing cold, you'll just adore it here.

I don't know what part of Arkansas you're in, but Fayetteville sure was never boring. Anyway, you're young, get out and explore and have fun.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I moved the Colorado from Fayetteville. My car tags went from $24 a year to $250, insurance doubled. Most rentals run $1,000 a month and UP. Everything is more expensive, people in general are not friendly at all. That billion dollars in pot money must be going to line the pockets of Denver politicians because I've never seen a place with worse highways than here.

The good thing is there's no humidity or bugs and if you like, no love snow, snow 6 months out of the year, and amazing cold, you'll just adore it here.

I don't know what part of Arkansas you're in, but Fayetteville sure was never boring. Anyway, you're young, get out and explore and have fun.

I'm from Hot Springs. I wish I could explore and visit upstate but I'm living paycheck to paycheck with no savings and am having to work every day just to survive. It's pretty depressing and feels like I'm trapped unless I were to move back to FL which is probably what I'll end up doing.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:10 PM

6,528 posts, read 10,197,404 times
Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but if you're living paycheck to paycheck in a low COL state like Arkansas odds are you'll struggle to eke out a living up here. You're looking at having to up your income 15-30% just to break even in the COL department.

Don't know why the pot jobs are such a draw. Most of them are low-wage, dead-end retail gigs a la McDonald's and Wal-Mart.

Use your stashed funds to get a degree in software engineering or graphic design and then look into coming up here.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:01 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,363,601 times
If you worked as a pharmacy technician for 4 years while in Florida, why not do that again? If you can get a pharm tech job with the Veterans Administration, then you would have the option of transferring to any state.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:05 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,079,489 times
Colorado's economy was growing prior to legalization. Weed is not the end all be all for financial salvation. It is also legal in DC, Oregon, Washington and Alaska.

What is your AA degree in? If it is something relevant, it may help you with a hand up in Colorado. Same with pharmacy experience.

However, if you think things will be any better for you here than they are there if you insist on pursuing entry level retail jobs, then you are simply fooling yourself into wishful thinking. Dispensary clerk jobs are entry level retail jobs that could have the Federal hammer dropped on them at anytime.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:59 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,991,054 times
If you can get in state tuition in Arkansas, that is worth a look.

CO job market is relatively good. You can try applying places from out of state or if you can save or borrow $3-5,000 (family or maybe co-signed credit card?) come out, get a cheap place and make something happen.

Are you interested in CO deeply, for more than job (and possibly weed)? Probably better to look elsewhere unless you really want CO.

I noticed the new minimum wage is almost $11 / hr. in Santa Fe next month. If you got a job there and shared a place (in or out of town) perhaps you could make it work / save some. There are fairly cheap apartments down there. Might be small, old, dumpy or even sketchy but sometimes folks take cheap with idea of getting out of there in 6 months or a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or