U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 06:51 PM

38 posts, read 42,907 times

Advertisements

Unless you are serious about wanting to live 2-3 hours away (which may very well mean basically no Internet), my recommendations would be Bailey or even a smaller Indian Hills/Kittredge/Evergreen spot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 04:04 PM

3,113 posts, read 1,913,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
I haven't reality tested on real estate sites (that is for you) but given your request I'd probably start searching around Jefferson, Hartsel and Lake George and then look further out if necessary. Maybe Guffey, Wetmore, Coaldale, Hillside, Cuchara, Gardner, Weston, Kremmling, Red Feather Lakes.
Red Feather Lakes meets the criteria.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:26 AM

5 posts, read 4,142 times
I know OP isn't around, but I just moved to Leadville this winter and I love it. We couldn't be happier, we bought a bigger house (more then then OP's price range), I do work from home but it's awesome up here. I ski at Copper every weekend, we have a huge house, it has multiple units that we rent out on Airbnb and have amazing views wherever we go. Also everyone up here is super nice, I call it "mountain nice". Could not recommend more. My only complaint is that I wish we had a more diverse selection of restaurants.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:07 AM

50 posts, read 38,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by droti View Post
I know OP isn't around, but I just moved to Leadville this winter and I love it. We couldn't be happier, we bought a bigger house (more then then OP's price range), I do work from home but it's awesome up here. I ski at Copper every weekend, we have a huge house, it has multiple units that we rent out on Airbnb and have amazing views wherever we go. Also everyone up here is super nice, I call it "mountain nice". Could not recommend more. My only complaint is that I wish we had a more diverse selection of restaurants.
Oh, but you have Quincy's!
Steak or Prime Rib every night. Who needs diversity!
Seriously, we love Leadville, too. It was on our short list, but we ended up buying down the valley a ways.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:52 AM

8 posts, read 9,693 times
Leadville sounds good for you. No work there though. Check your property for lead. It's not called Leadville for nothing. As to house condition and costs. Mileage will vary depending on your skills and common sense.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:54 AM

8 posts, read 9,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I know! The San Luis VALLEY!
He said 2 to 3 hours from Denver. The Valley is a good 4. Saguache would work as for as other parts though.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:35 AM

75 posts, read 51,311 times
I have many good memories of Leadville having had a second home there from 2003 to 2008. Would have kept it but my wife passed away and could not hang onto that house and the primary. Leadville has unmatched scenery, lots of trails, and the Mineral Belt Bike Trail which is also great to ski on in the winter. Only downsides to Leadville are the trailer parks (since it does provide the low income housing so lacking in Summit and Eagle counties) and the downtown district which seems to be slowly dying. It is a town with a lot of potential, just need the rest of the world to realize it so buy in while it is still cheap.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:35 AM

3,037 posts, read 2,057,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBauder View Post
He said 2 to 3 hours from Denver. The Valley is a good 4. Saguache would work as for as other parts though.

That was tongue in check because of the high volume of "why is SLV so cheap" posts that were also being tossed around at the time.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:25 PM

31 posts, read 20,380 times
Default Look in Park Co.

There are some options out by Fairplay and Alma. We found nice place in the Jefferson area (Stagestop) 285 to 77 still accessible but out there we love it

Old 03-10-2016, 10:36 AM

5 posts, read 4,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBauder View Post
Check your property for lead. It's not called Leadville for nothing.
I believe there was some contamination of the soil in the back of our house by the garage, but the EPA cleaned it up years ago and poured cement over the top and made a nice car pad. So I think we're safe on that, from what I can tell the town has cleaned up any environmental concerns they could find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or