U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 969 times

Advertisements

Hello, Me and my girlfriend are wanting to move to ether Colorado or Washington State. I live in a Part of Illinois where the only jobs are Coal mining or Prison work. The Company I work for just laid me off as of Sunday. All the Mines around here are shutting down or laying off, there is just nothing left here anymore. We have thought about moving away to raise our son, in hope that he could have a better chance at a real job/future when he gets older. We know some about Washington or Colorado but not enough to make a for sure decision. We are in our mid/late twenties . Don't care much about nightlife or bars. I am going to pull out my 401k for the move. Should have around 10k after deductions and what not. I'm going to try and look for a job within the next month after I get my money. I know most people will think I'm silly for pulling my money out but we need out of the area "there are no jobs" and if there is any chance my son can have a good future, then ill pull the money out and work 2 jobs. Were not looking into buying a house, maybe renting on but i believe an apartment is what we will be looking into. My max on rent will be around $1200.

If you could give us some insight on the cost of living, areas of consideration to move, and just anything else that will help us make the right decision. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 01:35 PM

13,227 posts, read 24,320,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead87 View Post
Hello, Me and my girlfriend are wanting to move to ether Colorado or Washington State. I live in a Part of Illinois where the only jobs are Coal mining or Prison work. The Company I work for just laid me off as of Sunday. All the Mines around here are shutting down or laying off, there is just nothing left here anymore. We have thought about moving away to raise our son, in hope that he could have a better chance at a real job/future when he gets older. We know some about Washington or Colorado but not enough to make a for sure decision. We are in our mid/late twenties . Don't care much about nightlife or bars. I am going to pull out my 401k for the move. Should have around 10k after deductions and what not. I'm going to try and look for a job within the next month after I get my money. I know most people will think I'm silly for pulling my money out but we need out of the area "there are no jobs" and if there is any chance my son can have a good future, then ill pull the money out and work 2 jobs. Were not looking into buying a house, maybe renting on but i believe an apartment is what we will be looking into. My max on rent will be around $1200.

If you could give us some insight on the cost of living, areas of consideration to move, and just anything else that will help us make the right decision. Thank you
Are you looking at these two particular states for a particular reason?

You can afford the worse half of areas in Seattle and Denver metros. Colorado Springs, Tacoma, and everywhere else in the two states will meet your affordability. Find out which cities have jobs. Colorado is doing better than Washington in that regard at the moment.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:02 PM

4,875 posts, read 9,619,939 times
What kind of work are you and/or your girlfriend qualified for? What kind of work will you be looking for?

I assume that you have been doing lots of reading on both the Colorado and Washington forums to at least find out what cost of living is like. Many people have come to this forum asking questions similar to yours, and so this has been discussed many times.

There are places around the country that have a lower cost of living than Colorado. Since you say that you know “some” about Washington and Colorado, have you also considered looking in more affordable areas?

Old 02-15-2016, 06:36 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,991,054 times
If you are a miner (got that impression but not 100% sure) there are some, mostly small mines in western Colorado and extreme northeast Washington.

If you do prison work, Canon City is a big hub for that.

Knowing what size city or town you prefer would help in making suggestions of places. Cost of living is really more a function of city than state.

Last edited by NW Crow; 02-15-2016 at 06:50 PM..

Old 02-16-2016, 02:01 PM

2,659 posts, read 2,307,776 times
Colorado and Washington are both expensive, I suggest looking at a different state. Try Idaho or Nebraska.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:57 PM

214 posts, read 192,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Are you looking at these two particular states for a particular reason?
I was wondering the same thing...

Deadhead87, why are you interested in either Washington or Colorado?

Old 02-18-2016, 11:43 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,878,463 times
I have an idea of what CO and WA have in common that might appeal to a deadhead. If you guys think about it for a minute, you can probably figure it out too.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:25 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,079,489 times
Cripple Creek Gold Co is still operating mines. They do tend to hire on occasion. But I'm pretty sure they are doing extensive drug testing on anyone who is handling gold or driving a 300 ton capacity truck.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:00 PM

4,663 posts, read 6,088,637 times
'Deadhead' wants to move to pro cannabis states, lol, shocker.... Keep in mind most companies worth working for in both states still ask you to p*ss in a cup before they'll hire you.

Start cleaning out now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or