U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 04:52 PM

5,322 posts, read 7,170,865 times

Advertisements

Have you considered Manitou Springs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 09:24 AM

811 posts, read 1,224,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
There is a desperate need for reasonable housing here. I'm very fortunate with my living situation, but I know many who are sleeping on couches or pouring nearly all of their paychecks into their rent. And these are hardworking people with at least one job, many with more than one. It's just not sustainable.
Sorry to re-iterate the obvious but housing costs in funky, quirky, artistic Colorado mountain towns with access to winter/summer outdoor sports are not driven by "locals" who work in service jobs but rather by out-of-state and/or Front Range professionals like doctors, CPA's, business owners, orthodontists, etc. etc. who would love NOTHING MORE than to live in a funky, quirky, artistic Colorado mountain town but are effectively forced to live where the population lives to support their ability to earn a living, raise a family, and maybe eventually accomodate a dream/goal to own a second home in a funky, quirky, artistic Colorado mountain town. My spouse and I live in Colorado Springs not because we love it here oh so much but because we can make a very good professional living here given the population base and with a MUCH higher quality of life than we had in painfully congested Denver. After several decades of bigger city Front Range living (by economic necessity rather than by choice) despite really, really, really wanting to live somewhere like Taos or Salida that (we think) better suits our funky, quirky artistic, highly educated personalities, we've transitioned from borderline poverty to being able to comfortably afford a second home in a place like Taos or Salida, if that's what we decide to do. It's called deferring gratification and living within the forces of economic reality. Rents are probably pretty reasonable in La Junta but then nobody wants to move to Colorado and live in La Junta.

Back to the original poster, as everybody knows there are trade offs in life. One can move to a remote mountain town like Crestone and be funky and artistic and have essentially no hope for meaningful employment. Or one can move to a crowded mega-city like Denver and also be funky and artistic and have hope but no guarantee of meaningful employment. Pros. Cons. My "advice" would be to begin the process in a place where rents are not too high, where jobs are reasonably available, and you'd get the lay-of-the-land so to speak and could investigate neighborhoods and/or regions that suit you. Good luck. I did what you're doing about 20 years ago, just took a leap of faith and moved to Colorado and somehow found a way to make it work. I cheer you on.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:32 PM

129 posts, read 164,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Sorry to re-iterate the obvious but ... rents are probably pretty reasonable in La Junta but then nobody wants to move to Colorado and live in La Junta.
I'm not sure what you're getting at other than re-iterating the lack of meaningful employment options in a small mountain town, which people have already mentioned.

I wasn't ignorant to the economic realities of towns like this before I moved to Chaffee County, which were discussed at length in my original thread.

I just commented on this thread because LilyMunster mentioned prices still being reasonable here and I wanted OP to be aware that rental prices in Chaffee County aren't as reasonable as they once were, even as little as a year ago. We're slowly approaching parity with Front Range prices despite not having Front Range jobs and I wanted the OP to be conscious of that in case she chose to look into moving here.

I don't disagree with anything that you said in the quote above, I'm just confused as to the tone behind it.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:14 AM

811 posts, read 1,224,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
We're slowly approaching parity with Front Range prices despite not having Front Range jobs and I wanted the OP to be conscious of that in case she chose to look into moving here.
Sorry if the tone wasn't ideal. I'm one of (I suspect) MANY out here who has for at least the last 25+ years wanted to indulge (but resisted for practical reasons of having to make a living) a very strong desire to live in a quirky, artistic, Colorado mountain town with great outdoor-sports access rather than a "practical" Front Range city. There's probably 20 of us out here in "practical" Front Range land who'd VASTLY rather be in a funky mountain community for every brave soul who goes for it and tries to make it work where housing prices are sky-high and jobs are scarce, such as Summit County or, increasingly, Chaffee County. I have 8-10 neighbor friends in my COS neighborhood and all but one has told me how much they'd LOVE to move to a Salida or a Breckenridge and "live the dream" full time but every single one has a job and a mortgage and just can't. The point being that there's a price to pay to "live the dream" unless one is independently wealthy, there's trade offs in everything.

I'll admit it gets a bit tiresome hearing folks who have voluntarily chosen to live in those coveted mountain communities complain that there's a lack of affordable housing and high-paying jobs. Yeah, we get it, that's why the population of Salida is 6,000 and not 600,000, because it's an almost impossible balance to make work. The rest of us have to visit in short trips, stay in a motel on Hwy 50 or spring for an overpriced VRBO and try not to be too annoying to the hip artistic locals who are livin the dream.

I suppose the point and the tone is to acknowledge that its obviously hard (high rents/prices, low pay in primarily service economy jobs) because if it wasn't hard we'd all be doing it. What sane person wouldn't want to live in Summit County or Crested Butte or Chaffee County instead of hyper-congested Denver or Colorado Springs with all its wild-eyed Doug Bruce zealots running around? Everything in life involves cost/benefit and I guess I'd rather see folks who dare to dream and live year-round in the coveted mountain towns (benefit) not complain about the prices or lack of jobs (costs). It's the same reason I don't gripe about all the Doug Bruce zealots on Colorado Springs city council trying to outdo each other on who can make more anti-tax anti-services proclamations - I knew the costs I'd encounter when I moved here in order to gain access to the benefits, which are also great by the way and make for a fantastic overall quality of life.

So, back to my tone. I guess it's a bit of eye-rolling at people frustrated by the obvious costs they encounter to gain access to the benefits they desire. It's natural and normal human nature to not like the costs. But everybody out here is living in the same world, making our choices, and living with the pros/cons. For me, the pros in Colorado Springs are access to a population the affords me a highish professional income (when I'm not making dumb city-data posts) and an affordable house in a fantastic neighborhood with top quality schools. The cons are having to drive stupid 2+ hours every time I want to do anything worthwhile in the mountains. For folks who live in Chaffee County, the pros are having the glorious mountains almost at your fingertips and several cool little towns. The cons are highish prices and lowish job opportunities. The front range cities and the small mountain towns have almost inverse pros and cons. We all take our pick of the pros/cons we choose to face and wondering why the cons can't just be avoided or swept away is both human nature and also sort of pointless. It simply is what it is and it will always be thus. Sure, let's try to maximize the pros and minimize the cons but let's also be realistic.

One last observation about your point that you're "slowly approaching" Front Range prices is that in many case you've long since surpassed Front Range prices. The townhouse my spouse and I may be looking at buying in Salida is priced at roughly $275K for 1,150 square feet. You'd pay more for a loft in LoDo but I could buy that same townhouse in the Springs for maybe $150K. Of course, I don't WANT a townhouse in Colorado Springs I WANT a place to call my own and spend time with friends/family in Salida. Supply/demand. Pros/cons. On and on it goes. All we can do is and carry on, yes?

Old 02-24-2016, 05:55 PM

129 posts, read 164,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Everything in life involves cost/benefit and I guess I'd rather see folks who dare to dream and live year-round in the coveted mountain towns (benefit) not complain about the prices or lack of jobs (costs) ... Supply/demand. Pros/cons. On and on it goes. All we can do is and carry on, yes?
I'd say that's fair enough.

Thanks for clarifying and also for giving some additional insight. OP will greatly benefit from carefully reading this thread - if she ever appears again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or