Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,691 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving from Pennsylvania back to Colorado. I've lived in Denver twice, and Boulder and Westminster. I miss the scenery and the climate, etc. and living outside Philly (or in it) just isn't for me - too noisy, dirty, crowded, etc. I read about Paonia, and thought it sounded perfect for someone not wealthy, quirky, college educated, and artistic. I liked your suggestion to check out the area as opposed to Durango, which I am also considering. Durango sounds WAY too expensive, and Paonia sounds WAY too beautiful by comparison. Any further info? You sound experienced with the areas. Thanks for any feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
While visiting Colorado, you might consider travelling thru the Paonia -Crawford - Hotchkiss area. The north fork of the Gunnison River flows thru there and it is rather agricultural. Quite a bit of fruit is grown in that area, along with several wineries. To my eye, that area has some of the finest scenery in the state of Colorado.
This.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-21-2016 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1, fixed quoted material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 11:47 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,209,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Chance View Post
I'm not really looking at Durango, more of an out of the way place where land is cheaper. I've looked at some land near Pagosa Springs and there appears to be a buyers market there, as lots of land was bought by out of state speculators before the last crash. I'ts notlike I have my heart set on the area, but I plan to go through it this spring. It's on the list at this point.
Pagosa Springs itself is a nice town. The "land" you refer to is west of town 5 to 10 miles in a few platted but lightly developed subdivsions. A lot of access problems, much of the development is done on the cheap single wides and such, a lot of your neighbors will collect broken down old cars. If that is your thing have at it.

I have not been to Pagoasa Springs in years, but it is a nice and affordable town, mostly retired people. Of course there is no skiing nearby, which is why it is affordable. Cost of living otherwise is not extraordinary. Without a mortgage or car payment, $1,000 plus HOA fee/month would provide an ok standard of living.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:22 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLeChat View Post
I'm going to be moving from Pennsylvania back to Colorado. I've lived in Denver twice, and Boulder and Westminster. I miss the scenery and the climate, etc. and living outside Philly (or in it) just isn't for me - too noisy, dirty, crowded, etc. I read about Paonia, and thought it sounded perfect for someone not wealthy, quirky, college educated, and artistic. I liked your suggestion to check out the area as opposed to Durango, which I am also considering. Durango sounds WAY too expensive, and Paonia sounds WAY too beautiful by comparison. Any further info? You sound experienced with the areas. Thanks for any feedback!

This.
While paonia is VERY beautiful, any decent land there is expensive, at least by my standards. Maybe we have different views on what wealthy is....

Old 02-21-2016, 01:36 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Don't overlook Manitou Springs just west of COLO SPGS, it's quirky and artistic but near a decent city for the necessities and good medical care, shopping, etc. The city's motto is Keep Manitou Weird. A funky place at times, with legal MJ, often referred to as a place for old hippies, and a bit touristy.

Check homes / rentals on PPAR.com - Trusted And Accurate Real Estate Listing Information and see if it's in your price range.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:08 PM

50 posts, read 47,674 times
Salida - Buena Vista area - Chaffee County. We find that area to be a nice mix of scenery, with a huge variety of great entertainment options within 2 hours any direction, and prices are still reasonable. Banana belt weather!

Old 02-21-2016, 03:21 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Is finding a job a factor? These small mountain towns you are listing make that very difficult.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:47 PM

317 posts, read 474,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMunster View Post
Salida - Buena Vista area - Chaffee County. We find that area to be a nice mix of scenery, with a huge variety of great entertainment options within 2 hours any direction, and prices are still reasonable. Banana belt weather!
That depends greatly upon your living and work situation. In two weeks I'll have been in Salida for a year. Rent has gone through the roof in that amount of time. A place I looked at last winter that rented for $650 now rents for $900/month with 0 improvements done to the property. Most two bedrooms are $1000+ and most one bedrooms/studios start at $700.

The other kicker is pets. If you've got a pet, good luck finding a rental in Salida. It's a landlord's market and they've got tons of potential renters to choose from.

If you were to choose Salida or BV, be prepared to spend a few months looking for a place to live.

However, OP, other than the rent factors I do believe based on what you're looking for that you would really like this area. Salida in particular is a haven for artists. BV is fun, too. Salida is a bit funkier and more eclectic, but both are great towns with their own unique personalities. Tons to do and so many great people to meet.

It's tough to make a living here, but it's worth it!

Old 02-21-2016, 05:12 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
Paonia has just over 1300 residents. Add folks living just outside and you might reach 2500. It would be a very major change from living in or just outside large metros like Philly and Denver. You might miss some or a lot of stuff you take for granted. Might be very good idea to try it for a week, month or summer before committing to the long term. Are you ok with a pretty heavy winter? Are you ok driving 30 miles to Delta or 70 miles to Glenwood Springs or Grand Junction for most things and activities? If art is a business or side business are you going to compete with the dozens of artists already set up there or sell into markets 100 plus miles away?

Paonia lost about a hundred residents in last 5 years. That is not a great situation for finding a job(s) or opening a business.

If you decide to stay fairly close to Denver metro after all, maybe look at Nederland, Lyons and Greeley in addition to the places already mentioned.

If you want to try off of the front range, maybe also look at Woodland Park, New Castle, Mancos or Bayfield. They all would be less remote than Paonia yet have some of the same positives.

Last edited by NW Crow; 02-21-2016 at 05:29 PM..

Old 02-22-2016, 12:12 PM

50 posts, read 47,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
That depends greatly upon your living and work situation. In two weeks I'll have been in Salida for a year. Rent has gone through the roof in that amount of time. A place I looked at last winter that rented for $650 now rents for $900/month with 0 improvements done to the property. Most two bedrooms are $1000+ and most one bedrooms/studios start at $700.

The other kicker is pets. If you've got a pet, good luck finding a rental in Salida. It's a landlord's market and they've got tons of potential renters to choose from.

If you were to choose Salida or BV, be prepared to spend a few months looking for a place to live.

However, OP, other than the rent factors I do believe based on what you're looking for that you would really like this area. Salida in particular is a haven for artists. BV is fun, too. Salida is a bit funkier and more eclectic, but both are great towns with their own unique personalities. Tons to do and so many great people to meet.

It's tough to make a living here, but it's worth it!
This is interesting. We just bought several acres in the area, highway access, city utilities, and have been trying to come up with a development plan. We preferred a recreational vehicle park at first, second is nightly lodging rentals, but we are still considering. We aren't on the river so we aren't prime as far as tourism goes. Perhaps we need to develop into reasonable-priced housing. I'm all for people earning a living on their developments, but at the same time, it's ridiculous to price housing right out of the market. Property taxes are expensive, so landlords must recoup, but that's getting to be true nationwide. Oh, and we love pets. Well behaved pets.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:20 PM

317 posts, read 474,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMunster View Post
Perhaps we need to develop into reasonable-priced housing. I'm all for people earning a living on their developments, but at the same time, it's ridiculous to price housing right out of the market. Property taxes are expensive, so landlords must recoup, but that's getting to be true nationwide. Oh, and we love pets. Well behaved pets.
There is a desperate need for reasonable housing here. I'm very fortunate with my living situation, but I know many who are sleeping on couches or pouring nearly all of their paychecks into their rent. And these are hardworking people with at least one job, many with more than one. It's just not sustainable.

I don't know what the economic factors of doing so would entail for you, but if you choose to to develop long-term affordable housing here the community will greatly benefit from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado