U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 06:33 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,174,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
As I said, a person could live like a king on $600k in the Colo Spgs area, or in this case, just $560k: Full Listing Detail
this house last sold for $475,000 on 11-18-13.

Note the details ... which is a big difference between Colorado real estate sales practice/taxation and Washington state RE sales ...

The house is listed at 2002 sq ft (main level) and 2002 sq ft (99% finished basement) for a total of 4,004 sq ft. I've dealt with clients from the Seattle area, and they're typically baffled, if not astounded, at what is a misrepresentation to them. In Seattle, this is a 2,002 sq ft house. Yes, this has a "garden level" walk-out basement with useable sq footage (that 99% of 2,002 sq ft) to yield a 4,000 sq ft of livable space. The OP wanted "at least" 3,000 sq ft. Unless they're familiar with the difference in RE marketing terminology between the two areas, this is a "2,002" sq ft house, not a 4,004 sq ft house.

As well, "high end finishes" comes into play here. Yes, it's a "nice house", and it's got a stainless steel residential stove/oven upgrade, and some stainless appliances, and upline countertops ... for a "nice" kitchen. But it's nowhere in the league of "high end".

For example: Essentially, you're looking at the difference between a decent $800 residential stove/oven and a (perhaps) $3,000 residential unit that could fit in the same area. Nice, but it's only a $2,200 upgrade of residential appliance, not "high end". There is a second small broiler/oven in the kitchen island, a "nice" touch. Similarly, the refrigerator and dishwasher are nominal upgrades of residential items, not "high end", let alone commercial/restaurant type appliances. The gap between "high end" and "nice residential" is huge here ... and we're not splitting hairs, it's not a trivial difference in a homebuyer's marketplace.

Wanna' see "high end"? start looking for commercial grade appliances. Check for warming drawers for food serving such as bread warmers or dish warmers. Trash Compactor. High end dishwashers, preferably TWO (a common trend is a standard size dishwasher and then a secondary "drawer" type smaller dishwasher for convenience of smaller items/location in the kitchen area). Additional sinks at food prep and serving areas. Commercial duty disposals instead of residential 1 HP upgrades from 1/3 HP residential standard disposals. Specialty functional workplace and entertainment lighting. Commercial size/grade refrigerators & freezers. Wine storage cooler. Water filtration? Built in appliances to help with food prep/serving, such as a commercial service micro-wave, or a salamander, or an indoor grill top or warming counter? Until you've crossed the bridge over the gap between "nice" upline image residential stuff and a pro chef's kitchen, you're not yet in the realm of a "high end finishes" residence.

As well, looking at the lighting fixtures in the house, they're "nice" ... but still in the realm of stuff you can find in a box store. Nothing jumps out of the pictures to suggest that a lighting designer showroom had a hand in the layout or fixtures. It's nice utility grade stuff from the main suppliers to the residential industry, nothing special.

Similarly, look at the bathroom fixtures. Nothing there that isn't readily available at your favorite "box store" ... sinks, faucets, showers were "nice", but not real upline grade products. Sauna? Steam Shower? Hot tub? Bidet? This house has two domestic hot water heaters, which may have been a design feature to minimize distance from supply to point of use, or it may have been the result of a deficiency detected by an owner trying to take a hot shower when laundry facilities and dishwasher were in use. "high end finishes" houses will typically address these issues with upsized capacity commercial hot water heaters and larger diameter pipes to balance the system so that all points of use can be utilized effectively.

The flooring throughout looks like pergo rather than custom installed wood flooring.

While there was some detail in the house interior architecture that I'd classify as "gingerbread" touches, nothing in this house came off as "high end finishes".

Overall, a "nice" house ... but nothing approaching "high end finishes" here. By your standards, perhaps "fit for a king" ... but it's not a "high end finishes" house in the Seattle marketplace nor the Front Range, not even close.

The OP, of course, has to make their own determination as to what will satisfy their needs/desires/budget. Buying 5 acres may be nice, but it's a lot more than the 1 acre site they were asking for ... which means a lot of their purchase budget is being spent on dirt instead of house. The barn may be of value to them. For some, that's a viable trade-off in their budget ...

PS: had a friend build a retirement house in a gated community near Cherry Creek and Colorado Blvd a little over 20 years ago. He wanted to downsize from his lot (and big family house) in Old Crestmoor, so the footprint of the house was the size of the lot plus a nice curved driveway to the front door and a patch of lawn in back under a patio for outdoor b-b-que summertime enjoyment of Denver (although he backs up to a heavily traffic'ed corridor so the ambient noise is pretty loud) blue skies and ambient temps. Their budget for a 3-bdr/3ba house with the types of features I mention for a "high end finishes" home was $750,000. By the time they finished building it, they'd spend over $1.5 mil. Nice sauna, nice steam and needle-shower. Nice hot tub. A lap pool ... one of those affairs where you set the water flow and swim without actually moving more than a couple of inches, it's not much bigger than an oversized tub. Custom built stairways, with a dramatic entrance curving stairway to the upper level bedroom suite. In-ground heated garage floor. Commercial kitchen appliances, two dishwashers, multiple sinks, built-in icemaker, separate huge refrigerators and freezer. Walk-in Pantry, custom built hardwood cabinets in the kitchen. Dramatic custom lighting for their sizable art collection, nooks for the statuary, entryway fountain and wishing well seating area. Custom lighting fixtures throughout the house ... they were into very modern stuff, whimsical and fanciful ... many dimmers and programmable controls for mood, utility, and ambient or workspace lighting. And that was 20 years ago for an 1,800 sq ft house, not a 3,000 sq ft residence.

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-22-2016 at 07:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 06:58 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,041,284 times
I have to go by the OP's price point of $600k, a level at which no one is going to get the superb appointments you've listed. If the OP really wants that level of luxury he needs to tell us, and he won't get it for $600k in Seattle or here, so I steered him to the most house he can find in the I-25 corridor for $600k, an acre, and excellent schools.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:27 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,174,512 times
Quote:
I have to go by the OP's price point of $600k, a level at which no one is going to get the superb appointments you've listed. If the OP really wants that level of luxury he needs to tell us, and he won't get it for $600k in Seattle or here, so I steered him to the most house he can find in the I-25 corridor for $600k, an acre, and excellent schools.
Ah, we finally get to the same page ... what I've been saying all along:

"OP's price point of $600k, a level at which no one is going to get the superb appointments you've listed".

It is, indeed, highly unlikely that the OP will find their wish list of a 3,000 sq ft house with "high end finishes" and the rest of their requirements met in the Front Range marketplace at $600,000.

I'd bet that it would take more like a $300-450 psf budget to get a true "high end finishes" house in the area given today's marketplace.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:35 PM

Agree. At my level of understanding, $600k gets one a superb house here in COLO SPGS.

Your level of knowledge and sophistication in these matters is head and shoulders above the average poster on here whose concept of high end finishes no doubt varies wildly from person to person. Would love to hear back from the OP as to exactly the level of quality desired.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:12 PM

62 posts, read 154,832 times
Hi guys, appreciate the banter! I think my idea of "high end" is somewhere less than sunprit's, but somewhere substantially north of builder grade/tract home quality. A nice Wolf 6 burner and a built in commercial fridge, solid surface counters, upgraded trim, but not necessarily custom. Sorry for not being clear and don't let that distract you!

Old 02-23-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_trackstar View Post
Hi guys, appreciate the banter! I think my idea of "high end" is somewhere less than sunprit's, but somewhere substantially north of builder grade/tract home quality. A nice Wolf 6 burner and a built in commercial fridge, solid surface counters, upgraded trim, but not necessarily custom. Sorry for not being clear and don't let that distract you!
Thanks for the update. What you seek is eminently available in COLO SPGS, and probably parts of the Denver metro area.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:15 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 17 days ago)

10,882 posts, read 29,304,638 times
6 burner stove is in the 700's in Denver, more likely in the 600's in the springs.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
6 burner stove is in the 700's in Denver, more likely in the 600's in the springs.
True. My home is 3800 sq ft, 6-burner range, two ovens, 50+ can lights, 4BR, 3BA, 5-piece master bath with jetted tub, large walk-in closet with built-in storage and racks, roll-out kitchen cabinets, entire wall of built in book shelves in office, 9 foot ceilings up and downstairs, solid wood interior doors with bronzed handles, arched door frames, double-pane windows, alarm system, floor safe, bay window in MBR, central air, vaulted ceilings, wet bar, 2 fireplaces, hunter douglas on all windows, whole house wiring with speakers in four rooms, pendant lights over bar, two heating systems, two humidifiers, rec room over 40-feet wide, sprinklered landscaping, french doors on office, 3 car garage, glass front cabinets, under-cabinet task lighting, trex deck, tile to the ceiling over range hood and in master shower, upgraded carpets and pads, tile floors, hardwood floors, silestone countertops on kitchen counters and island, premium lot, all in all over $200k in upgrades over the base price of $350k and homes like this can be had in this area today for $450k - $500k or so, in one of the best school districts (D20).

All that being said, I think the OP can do quite well here in COLO SGPS with his budget.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:02 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,485,646 times
Quote:
True. My home is 3800 sq ft, 6-burner range, two ovens, 50+ can lights, 4BR, 3BA, 5-piece master bath with jetted tub, large walk-in closet with built-in storage and racks, roll-out kitchen cabinets, entire wall of built in book shelves in office, 9 foot ceilings up and downstairs, solid wood interior doors with bronzed handles, arched door frames, double-pane windows, alarm system, floor safe, bay window in MBR, central air, vaulted ceilings, wet bar, 2 fireplaces, hunter douglas on all windows, whole house wiring with speakers in four rooms, pendant lights over bar, two heating systems, two humidifiers, rec room over 40-feet wide, sprinklered landscaping, french doors on office, 3 car garage, glass front cabinets, under-cabinet task lighting, trex deck, tile to the ceiling over range hood and in master shower, upgraded carpets and pads, tile floors, hardwood floors, silestone countertops on kitchen counters and island, premium lot, all in all over $200k in upgrades over the base price of $350k and homes like this can be had in this area today for $450k - $500k or so, in one of the best school districts (D20).

All that being said, I think the OP can do quite well here in COLO SGPS with his budget.
But if he wants all that on an acre with pine trees, mountain views and access to shopping isn't the price going to be alot more?

Old 02-26-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
But if he wants all that on an acre with pine trees, mountain views and access to shopping isn't the price going to be alot more?
No, he can get all that and an acre for under $600k. The listing I provided is just one of many that are in his ballpark.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm not a realtor nor am I in any of the businesses that are in any way associated with real estate, development, banking, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or