U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2016, 08:21 PM

57 posts, read 53,870 times

Advertisements

Looking at Denver & Colorado Springs areas as a possibility for a relocation. Would like some opinions from those who know Colorado better than I.

So a brief description of who this is for and what the hopes are of finding...

1. 37 yr old single mother of boys with a big age gap- 1 under 5, 1 entering the teen years. Both kids are mixed race and so a place that is tolerant of differences is important. My kids have always grown up in VERY white towns and it would be nice to have at least a little diversity in hopes for less issues with bullying, etc.
  2. Moving to start over completely and so will eventually need to find a job that will provide enough, childcare options for after school & the like. I need to keep these things in consideration, however, since I am not planning on working for the first 8 months after moving I'm not focusing on that as much right now. Will pray to God as I go along
  3. Always seems easier to find plenty of things in places that will be good & fun for the younger kids but hoping to find a place that can offer as much to my oldest as well throughout the "tough-to-please" teen years. Not a big sports kid- loves science, reading, ice climbing, skiing, biking, hiking, art, music & dance, building things, and leadership/young business entrepreneur type programs.
  4. This move comes at a time where as a family we really need to find a place with a lot of positive attributes, plenty of things to do, schools that can provide a great education that can really prepare my oldest for college & his future, and a place that we can be proud to call our home at least for the next 10 years (don't want to move again for a long time). So an established area, known for it's safety is really important.
  5. A convenient location is a must. I need to live in a place where it's easy to hit the market & other necessary stores on the way home and easy to get to activities, attractions & whatnot. I like areas that aren't "dead" & have some movement to them. Even better if the area is somewhat walkable but still a place where kids can ride their bikes & play outside safely. My biggest concern is that I will feel out in the middle of nowhere in Colorado after being centrally located on the east coast for a long time with such easy access to the offerings of DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and NYC.
  6. Single but really hope not to die that way Dating is pretty impossible for me right now & I'm busy enough to be in no hurry. However, I would like to be in an area where when that time comes, it would be easy to meet single men in their late-30s to mid/late-40s who are sane, decent, down to earth, active, employed, and possibly marriage-minded (eventually). In the meantime, a place that can offer a little bit of a social life when possible would be nice (not a college bar scene).
  7. As far as a home goes... I would like a comfortable, clean & modern or updated house with at least a little bit of a yard. 3 bedrooms with at least 2 full bathrooms is doable but 4 bedrooms (or more) would be preferred. My budget is on the low end I think $275k but if everything was exactly what I'd hope for I may be able to go up a bit to $300-325k at the most and live life pretty broke for a while.
So to sum it up.... Absolutely priority is a safe place with good schools that is close to the action but far enough away to live a good family life mixed in with a healthy, easy to find social life.

Any ideas as to whether or not the Denver, Colorado area or Colorado Springs area would be a good fit for us? Any suggestions on areas, neighborhoods, schools, etc? Any places that a person concerned with safety should avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 06:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,385 posts, read 39,704,721 times
I would choose Colo Springs, for a better support structure and smaller city with thousands of great single guys. (3 military bases). There are several superb churches with ministry focus of helping singles parent and avaiiling surrogate grandparents / big brother / fatherly type care. Including recreation activities like skiing and fishing.

Of course your best bet will be to find good neighbors. I feel Colo Spr will be superior for this as well. You need to determine where you can work and have good schools and programs nearby. I like older areas, like nearby Olympic Training center, as the neighborhoods are stable and there are plenty or grandparent types to help out, and for you to help, and to share garden produce!

I have several friends in Denver, 4 are in Highlands Ranch (south metro / suburbia) they have done well with their families, but I would not be able to tolerate suburbia / sprawl. You likely would be driving a lot. Walkable neighborhoods are great with kid's activities nearby.

Colo Springs has a lot going for it, and for a single mom with age seperated kids. I think you will be impressed and well cared for. Ez to get lost in the crowds and fast pace and HUGE sprawl of Denver.

Colo Springs is quite beautiful and close to mtns. Lots to do, and much more compact. When you head to the mtns, the crowds are far less than Denver. Area (which also feeds high population north (to Ft Collins) trying to get to Colorado ski areas.

Denver is brown cloud smog and brown lawns and trees, it is more like Kansas than the mtns you might expect in Colorado.

With a name like tetonmom... I would be heading to WY Tetons !!! They can be a bit remote....

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-13-2016 at 06:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or