U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2016, 07:23 AM

28 posts, read 36,629 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I may have a job offer in Grand Junction, CO working with vets.

I'm an Army vet myself in my early 30's.
I'm not familiar with the area but I'm starting a new career in counseling so I have been applying all over. After looking at the demographics of GJ I'm wondering if it would be a good fit for a young, middle class AA family.
We are very laid back and most of our activities evolve around our children (8y/o and 5 months).
Let me know what you all think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 07:43 AM

11,049 posts, read 12,394,760 times
Junction is a high desert city of about 70,000 so don't expect to be living in mountains. It can get very cold in winter due to an inversion layer, and in the 100's in summer with blowing dust and howling winds. The Grand Mesa at 11,000 feet is minutes from GJ as well as the Colorado National Monument. Junction has some very very nice areas, and a huge homeless population.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:07 AM

16,505 posts, read 20,899,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicaljewel View Post
Hello all,
I may have a job offer in Grand Junction, CO working with vets.

I'm an Army vet myself in my early 30's.
I'm not familiar with the area but I'm starting a new career in counseling so I have been applying all over. After looking at the demographics of GJ I'm wondering if it would be a good fit for a young, middle class AA family.
We are very laid back and most of our activities evolve around our children (8y/o and 5 months).
Let me know what you all think.
One thing that is a plus is that you have a job offer. That helps! I've lived in Mesa County for over two decades and had worked on various construction projects for another two decades. Unemployment continues to be a problem as is the homeless population

I'm aware that certain VA hospitals have come under criticism lately but Grand Junction's is first rate. They've had some expansion in the last several years. They DO send some people to the VA in Salt Lake City for certain physical issues.

Youth sports are fairly busy here, there are several baseball and soccer fields out on I-70 between 24 and 25 roads. JUCO (Junior College World Series) has been held in Grand Junction since the 1950's. The area also has a minor league baseball franchise-the Grand Junction Rockies--(rookie league-class A) Yes, they are the farm club of the MLB Colorado Rockies. When Spring comes Lincoln Park cranks up various activities for families, GJ Chamber Of Commerce could help you in that regard. The Lincoln Park area (12th to 20th street--Gunnison to White) IMO is an area I'd check out. Not super upscale--just a great neighborhood and the houses are well kept.

Come out for a visit, there are lots of motels on I-70 and Horizon Drive. Ask the locals--that's always the best way to find out what's best for you.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or