U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2016, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,259 times

Advertisements

Hi! My name is Christine and I am currently an undergraduate student in Cleveland Ohio. My boyfriend and I will be graduating in December and would like to move to Colorado. We love the idea of living in Crested Butte and ideally this is where we would relocate to. We'd like to just rent a local apartment (nothing fancy) and work at a local store or resort (basic jobs such as a barista, waitress, bartender, or even child care or schooling). Basically we just want to get out of Ohio and live out an adventure. We're young and we figure this is the time to do something like this. We don't really even know how long we plan on staying, maybe we'll get our fill in a couple of months or maybe we'll love it and stay forever. We just wanted some thoughts on how to go about this and also if it's practical. Any advice would be helpful on if Crested Butte would be the place to do this, if our jobs would be able to pay for the housing here or if looking somewhere else would be wise. We don't really know how to go about any of this but we know we want it to happen so any advice is appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 05:38 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,614,384 times
I say go for it! I did the same thing when I moved to Steamboat Springs many many years ago from the East Coast.

The best time to move would be in one of the shoulder seasons. For example, in April or May after the lifts close but before the summer people move in (lifts close April 3 this year). Summers in Crested Butte are glorious, by the way. Tons of wildflowers both in town and in the surrounding areas.

You can search for jobs and housing in The Crested Butte News or even consider the Gunnison Country Times if Crested Butte is too expensive.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:12 PM

3,793 posts, read 3,982,404 times
There might be cheaper to be had, but this is one of the few places in CB currently on Craigslist https://westslope.craigslist.org/apa/5461605277.html
1BR, upscale, $1025 per month. The other 1BR place of your own on the market right now is $1300 but actually looked lesser. Several offers of a room in a shared house for $600-$800. That is about all I saw as examples of the market conditions. I didn't pay attention to whether these were summer only or could be leased longer. For a couple both working you can probably find something tolerable pricewise but whether you can or want to rent before you arrive is a question mark. More stuff will open as ski season ends but it will get harder to find a place in person as mud season turns to pleasant summer. Getting there in April or doing a quick trip to find a place before the full move might be helpful. You will spend more on housing in CB than other places like Gunnison or Montrose. A tradeoff. If you are not sure you want to commit to the place and a long term lease thru a very cold winter, you might look at subleasing an apartment in Gunnison from a / some college student(s) temporarily headed out of town and then look for the next place a bit later in summer (but not too late).

Have enough funds to handle first / last month and security deposit and pay living expenses until both find jobs.

A job with tip income might be good if you are good, hustle and the place is upscale... and busy? It has been awhile since I visited but based on that dated perspective summer is probably not as busy as winter. Probably plenty of competition for the most desirable jobs. Pay for the lower tier jobs may be at or close to minimum wage.

If you are graduating in Dec. 2016, it would very challenging to find a place, move in subzero conditions and finds jobs after the ski crowd is already settled in. So spring-summer 2017 is strongly recommended as suggested above.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-20-2016 at 08:55 PM..

Old 03-20-2016, 10:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,379 posts, read 39,695,573 times
NOW is the best time to do this, after school is complete...

What is your skillset? ( Previous good paying jobs that are in demand)

What is your education.?

Where do you want to end up in a few years?

For an 'adventure', bring 12 months cash.
For a sustainable transition, bring unique skills and a plan.
I would hesitate to even consider a 2 month option, very spendy, and you will not have time to learn / experience the people and location.

As mentioned, mid- season is not the most opportune time to arrive in a tourist town. (Jobs and housing are already taken). Consider heading to a southern hemisphere location for FUN till AFTER ski season, rentals will be less and ezr to find. Jobs.... Elusive, thus bring skills. Thousands of 18-30 yr olds go to NZ and Australia on 1 yr work visas.

Lots of people want to live in nice places, (especially CO). And they are willing to work for lower wages and pay high living costs to do so.

I encourage your adventure, and CB would be delightful, if you are prepared.

Other locations will have more job and housing options.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:17 AM

3,042 posts, read 2,074,722 times
I'd agree you should go for it, but...Crested Butte is a resort town. Most resort towns cater to clientele who can afford to vacation there. They are not designed to be supportive of the working class that make the resort function. Two people working at entry level jobs will most likely not be able to live in the resort town they work in, unless they have 2-4 roommates. I'd also be prepared to possibly need to work a couple of jobs to make things come together for yourselves.

However, since this is a universal problem, there are sometimes less expensive towns nearby the actual resort towns where local live so they can commute to work. This can be a quick 30 minute deal, like Gunnison to Crested Butte, or could be an extensive over a pass and a hour or more away like Alma to Breckenridge. Be prepared for possibly having to locate outside the immediate town and have a drive to work.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:58 PM

40 posts, read 36,409 times
Crested Butte is a resort town, which has a strong winter crowd, and somewhat of a summer crowd for mountain biking and the like.

Many of the people I knew, who worked in CB, lived in nearby Gunnison, which has a college and its own economy. If you can afford to live in CB, all the better, as it's absolutely beautiful, just beware that many of the rentals will be priced as resort, vacation property, rather than live/work property.

Since there is a college nearby, the market for entry-level (restaurant, coffee, etc) jobs, and resort jobs, will have a following from the students.

I don't mean to sound discouraging. Gunnison and Crested Butte are beautiful places, with generally great people, and a lower cost of living than much of Colorado. There may be ways that you can apply your college degree, and have fun at the same time. It is just important to understand that much of the valley will run on the cycles of the ski-season and the college.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:03 PM

8 posts, read 12,351 times
I'm finishing my 27th year in the Gunnison Valley. And I totally get wanting to leave Ohio. My opinion is to focus on whatever careers you want to have now--add value to your academic degrees. You don't have to do that in Ohio, but it's very unlikely you'll be able to do that in CB. As others have pointed out, even with each of you working in a low-wage job, you will not be able to afford to rent in CB...Gunnison, probably, but not CB. Sacrifice more now to have a much better life later.

I came to the Gunnison Valley when I was 34 years old and I had sufficient education, skills and wealth to live fairly well. I couldn't have done that when I was 22. I recently retired and could have moved to just about anywhere. However, I chose to stay here. It is a nice place for the right people...meaning people who would rather be cold than hot...and people who aren't constantly thinking about spending time in a mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or