Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 11:38 AM

6,823 posts, read 10,518,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia616 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I just have a quick question, I'm going to community college for education then I plan on transferring to a university. I have family and friends in Colorado, I used to live there 11 years ago and my friends want me to come back but I need to know if there is teaching jobs available before I move there? I want to be a elementary science teacher. I would like to live in my hometown of Colorado Springs or the Denver area.
There really aren't such things as elementary science teachers in Colorado. Elementary is primarily taught by a single teacher with pull-outs for PE, art, and music. So their main teacher is usually the math/science-and-everything else teacher. So if you're set on that, no, you cannot expect to find a job just doing that. There are science teachers at the middle and high school levels and for those there are plenty of jobs if you are truly qualified.

Your degree/licensure process in whatever state you are in does not automatically transfer to Colorado, either, so make yourself familiar with the Colorado Department of Education website and learn what you will need to do to become eligible to teach in Colorado specifically. If you finish your education in Colorado, the program at your university will be geared for Colorado licensure.

You will have to major in a science - there is no education major in Colorado for bachelors degrees - and then complete your teaching preparation requirements in addition to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 02:32 PM

113 posts, read 103,691 times
Thank you, for answering my question firstly. So you would suggest that I look at being a middle or high school teacher? Because I am set on being a science teacher. It was my favorite subject growing up, and i know we need more science teacher's, I've also noticed doing research that there is way more people becoming elementary teachers then middle or high school. So maybe that would be better.

Okay, i will keep an eye on that and look into it. I was thinking pf transferring to UCCS, but if I have to get a science degree then complete the teaching preparation. I might be better off just going to ASU, because they do have concentrations in science with education.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:51 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,424 times
Quote:
Thank you, for answering my question firstly. So you would suggest that I look at being a middle or high school teacher? Because I am set on being a science teacher. It was my favorite subject growing up, and i know we need more science teacher's, I've also noticed doing research that there is way more people becoming elementary teachers then middle or high school. So maybe that would be better.

Okay, i will keep an eye on that and look into it. I was thinking pf transferring to UCCS, but if I have to get a science degree then complete the teaching preparation. I might be better off just going to ASU, because they do have concentrations in science with education.
It's the same certificate. Colorado's certificates are broken up into K-6 and 7-12.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I just have a quick question, I'm going to community college for education then I plan on transferring to a university. ...
1). Be SURE you have a transfer contract with your chosen University BEFORE you take one course at a CC. It is very possible to transfer to U as a full jr status. It is also very probable to waste a lot of time and money taking CC classes that will not transfer. Get it right, get it in writing, stick with the plan, and the specific major and Uni.

2) consider a more 'techy' / specific career / position than elementary science. (If that even exists (?)) didn't think so... elementary teachers are broad based, expected to meet the curriculum requirements.

3) consider other teaching options, and other states. colorado schools are NOT well funded in a sustainable manner.

Like to travel? Friends who teach in DOD schools usually LOVE it.... Get paid to live overseas and have very disciplined and purposed students !

WY and AK have good systems, good schools, amazing school reesources, pretty good students and very good pay, and amazing recreation / mountains (And few crowds)

Teaching on a reservation can often get your debt forgiven. (And you will learn a lot (Very quickly) that schools can't teach you.)

Old 04-19-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:

You'd be better off doing it at UCCS if you intend to teach in Colorado, because your certificate from ASU will not automatically transfer to Colorado. You will have an easier time getting hired if you're already in the right system, and won't have to waste time and money taking additional courses or tests after getting here. UCCS has a good program for teachers. You would major in a science and also complete your licensure program.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
It's the same certificate. Colorado's certificates are broken up into K-6 and 7-12.
Arizona's is a little different, here elementary education is 1-8 then secondary education is 6-12.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
1). Be SURE you have a transfer contract with your chosen University BEFORE you take one course at a CC. It is very possible to transfer to U as a full jr status. It is also very probable to waste a lot of time and money taking CC classes that will not transfer. Get it right, get it in writing, stick with the plan, and the specific major and Uni.

2) consider a more 'techy' / specific career / position than elementary science. (If that even exists (?)) didn't think so... elementary teachers are broad based, expected to meet the curriculum requirements.

3) consider other teaching options, and other states. colorado schools are NOT well funded in a sustainable manner.

Like to travel? Friends who teach in DOD schools usually LOVE it.... Get paid to live overseas and have very disciplined and purposed students !

WY and AK have good systems, good schools, amazing school reesources, pretty good students and very good pay, and amazing recreation / mountains (And few crowds)

Teaching on a reservation can often get your debt forgiven. (And you will learn a lot (Very quickly) that schools can't teach you.)
1. The community college I'm attending has connections with ASU, NAU and U of A.

2. What do you mean by "techy"?

3. What other states would you recommend for a young single teacher?

I have always wanted to travel, it was suggested to me to teach English abroad. But I'm still thinking about it.

I didn't know that living on a reservation would do that, i would love to live on one because i sm native American.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:15 PM

930 posts, read 1,654,557 times
Some of your debt can be forgiven- it's a teacher debt forgiveness. I am able to get $5k off... if I Stay at my Title 1 (low income) school. If I teach the subject that I got my degree in. If you do math, science (wink!), or special ed, you can get more. I believe it is limited, however, but it's certainly something to look into. I am not sure if there are more programs for teaching on reservations.

Science is wonderful at UCCS. I strongly feel UCCS is an excellent education.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
1. The community college I'm attending has connections with ASU, NAU and U of A.

2. What do you mean by "techy"?

3. What other states would you recommend for a young single teacher?

I have always wanted to travel, it was suggested to me to teach English abroad. But I'm still thinking about it.

I didn't know that living on a reservation would do that, i would love to live on one because i sm native American.
1. You should always check with the 4-year college you attend about each and every course you take at another school to ensure that it will transfer in the way you intend. Don't take it for granted.

2. Techy - think of STEM fields - science technology engineering math - teaching jobs in those areas are in higher demand.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:51 PM

@holly, thank you for you're reply. Yes, i knew about the teacher debt forgiveness. I'm glad to hear the science programs at UCCS are good, that makes me feel good if i go there.

@otowi, I will try to get a hold of UCCS and see if what I'm taking in my first semester at my community college will work with what their requirements are. Oh, okay that's why I am going into science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado