U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 03:39 PM

11 posts, read 9,794 times

Advertisements

My husband will be graduating from chiropractic school in Dallas, TX soon and we are researching places to start a practice and raise our future family. We can move anywhere but prefer a place that has a good amount of sunshine, natural beauty and things to do outdoors (mountains or beaches) , a decent amount of diversity, and not through the roof expensive like CA.We don't mind paying a little extra for beauty but don't want to have to work so much that we won't have time to enjoy. I am Guatemalan/Caucasian and grew up on the coast of Maryland and my husband is Hawaiian/Filipino born and raised on Oahu. We don't want to live anywhere where our kids will feel outcasted because of their diverse background. We also have eliminated Texas from the list since we have not enjoyed our 3 years here so far. Do any of you live in a place that you would never consider moving out of (expenses aside)? We are particularly interested in Colorado and Florida if any of you have more details about those states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 06:22 PM

3,942 posts, read 3,240,023 times
A couple of thoughts that may or may not be applicable to your situation. My husband is a physician and we are from Texas and just moved back after 15 years away, the last 3 of which were in Denver. We loved living in Colorado and were doing well there, but made the voluntary decision to leave for job opportunity and family considerations.

1. Colorado is a very desirable place to live and the metro areas have an over saturation of many medical practitioners. Not sure if that is true for Chiro or not, but it certainly was the case for my husband's surgical specialty. All that over saturation leads to a hyper competitive market that drives down income. Of course, money isn't everything, but for us, it was the deciding factor in our decision to leave CO, as we felt we were just leaving too much on the table all things considered. So, be sure you are doing detailed research into the market for Chiro in the towns you are considering.

2. Colorado is nowhere as diverse as what you are used to, but it is a welcoming and open place and I can't imagine you or your future children would feel like outcasts, particularly if you live along the front range. I would not worry about that aspect too much, aside from the fact that you might miss living in a more diverse place.

3. You mentioned Florida, and we have lived there as well. If you want to pursue a job there, leave yourself a lot of lead time (up to 6 months) for obtaining licensure. Florida and Texas (and CA) are notoriously slow and difficult places to get licensed. Colorado, OTOH, was quick and painless.

4. Don't necessarily dismiss all of Texas out of hand because you dislike Dallas. There are a lot of people, myself included, that don't like the Metroplex. Have you considered Austin or San Antonio etc?

If you chose to come to Colorado, I think you will find it's a great place with a wonderful quality of life. For that matter, we loved Florida as well (were were in Jacksonville). Good luck and enjoy this exciting time!

Old 03-23-2016, 08:23 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,991,054 times
One list of competitor / colleagues by city: https://www.chirodirectory.com/chiropractors/CO/
Google search can give you others.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:41 PM

Wow thank you both so much! Wonderful advice. I think colorado sounds amazing to us since most of my family lives on Utah and we won't be so far away like Florida. But at the same time we are in love with the beach and will have a hard time not being near one. You are very right about saturation as it is most definately a concern for us. We still have 1.5 years to decide so we will be doing a whole lot of research. Thank you for your advice!

Old 03-26-2016, 10:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,722,706 times
PNW (Oregon, Washington, NoCA) is very tolerant and internationally diversified. No one will be in your face about ANYTHING in PNW, and if you get to income tax free WA, and near Vancouver BC you will have extra perks. (Including excellent recreation, but somewhat short on sun,,, can be mitigated with $15 flights to Colorado and CA.). Gardening, summers and plenty of water plus EZ access to Canada and Alaska and Asia flights is a definate perk.

But.... If I had small kids, I would choose an international destination. A friend graduated from a Dallas Chiro College and enjoyed Singapore for several years, and now Indonesia.

After 30 yrs in Colorado, I now prefer to visit there (and I keep a home near SA TX, if I want some sun. DFW is not my cup of TX.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:13 PM

So do you live in colorado or PNW? Yes we actually did look into the PNW but we're a little bit turned off by the amount of rain haha but I hear nothing else but good things about it so I think we will start to research it again. We actually have an opportunity to associate for two years in New Zealand but are kind of afraid to move so far away without ever having visited before so we have kind of put that to the side. But hearing about your friend is pretty encouraging!

Old 03-27-2016, 01:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,722,706 times
NZ is great, especially South Island. I would do that in a heartbeat, (excluding earthquake prone Christchurch) it is only a day's flight away, and a great place for various outdoor recreation and meeting international people. (And NZ has a very good quality of life, and even has HealthCare!!!). North Island is OK too, just a bit more crowded. (But Not nearly as crowded as DFW). Ocean beaches, views, hot springs and people are very nice. Many more sheep than people.

I lived my first 28 yrs in Colo, Driven out by inflow of TX and CA RE dollars / high property values and taxes. moved to Income Tax Free WA state for majority of my earning yrs. (also did international gigs in Asia and Europe while homeschooling kids). FREE FT college instead of HS is a nice perk in WA and HI.

Rain in PNW can be your friend, if you have ever tried gardening / landscaping in Colordo. Water shortage can be considered a crisis / negative. I don't care for Colorado pollution, and 9 months of brown. (Front Range). Recreation can be very crowded in Colorado, but also you can escape to some nice areas, and recreate in WY if you remove your "Greenie" license plates. Being a 'battleground' state has cast a negative effect on CO. There are a lot of gun violence events by youth. (There are some reasons for that).

You have a blank slate, look around to meet your most desired needs and expectations. Colorado may be best for you, but be sure to know you have considered ather choices.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-27-2016 at 02:06 AM..

Old 03-27-2016, 07:27 AM

330 posts, read 346,615 times
Omigosh. Look seriously at the opportunity in New Zealand. I can't say if it's right for your family or not. But. I've been to NZ as a tourist, and would also go back in a heartbeat to stay longer.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:33 AM

86,889 posts, read 102,301,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
PNW (Oregon, Washington, NoCA) is very tolerant and internationally diversified. No one will be in your face about ANYTHING in PNW, and if you get to income tax free WA, and near Vancouver BC you will have extra perks. (Including excellent recreation, but somewhat short on sun,,, can be mitigated with $15 flights to Colorado and CA.). Gardening, summers and plenty of water plus EZ access to Canada and Alaska and Asia flights is a definate perk.

But.... If I had small kids, I would choose an international destination. A friend graduated from a Dallas Chiro College and enjoyed Singapore for several years, and now Indonesia.

After 30 yrs in Colorado, I now prefer to visit there (and I keep a home near SA TX, if I want some sun. DFW is not my cup of TX.
With some of the "whitest" cities in the country, e.g. Portland and Seattle.
http://priceonomics.com/how-diverse-is-your-city/

Old 03-27-2016, 10:04 AM

285 posts, read 272,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
With some of the "whitest" cities in the country, e.g. Portland and Seattle.
http://priceonomics.com/how-diverse-is-your-city/
oooh! thanks for all the interesting graphs! I knew about that dot map, but those bar graphs are super interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or