Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 09:04 PM

403 posts, read 755,079 times

Advertisements

Evergreen. Safe, great schools and easily accessible to Denver and the mountain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 10:12 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,434,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
Evergreen. Safe, great schools and easily accessible to Denver and the mountain.
Agree.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:14 PM

3,959 posts, read 4,328,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingto... View Post
I kept looking at Colorado Springs, but the safety is concerning me. Along with the schools. A safe area with good schools do not seem to come hand and hand for some reason.
Yup, cuz the half million people that live in Cos metro area like risking their lives every day and prefer to send our kids to substandard school. I'd re-evalaute your sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Well, moving to......, if you are worried about contaminants, then pretty much nowhere in Colorado will be safe for you.
This might be closer to the truth than you imagine. Along with high crime and lousy schools, Colorado is rife with radon gas from all the decomposing rock that constitute the Rocky Mountains. Its everywhere. As is high altitude radiation received from being a mile closer to the sun. We are a national leader in skin cancer and arteriosclerosis.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:00 AM

285 posts, read 373,979 times
Quote:
I think after much thought, Oregon is out. There's quite a few places in Colorado that look appealing and have a very promising job market. I kept looking at Colorado Springs, but the safety is concerning me. Along with the schools. A safe area with good schools do not seem to come hand and hand for some reason. The list of Superfund sites is keeping me from heading to Denver or Boulder, even though everything else about it seems pretty good. It's kinda hard to willingly move somewhere with so many listed existing contaminants. Is there anywhere that is "clean" that has low crime and good schools? A town with more than 3 people is preferred. Hah, that seems to be the only places that meet that particular requirement!
Safe with good schools would also be Orange County, and Carlsbad, California, Valencia (Santa Clarita), CA, Scottsdale, AZ, and also Thousand Oaks, CA.

But then you said you were concerned about Missouri being too Republican. If you're looking for something that's very liberal, these area are 50-50 liberal-conservative. Which is true of Bend, too, the other poster is correct that it's "purple."

I don't know your budget, but these areas are so popular that people do have kids in 2 bed / 2 bath condos in HOA's where it is safe and away from single adults who might be into the drug scene.

There is some sort of superfund site in Superior, CO (near Boulder) that was on another thread, here, somewhere.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:07 PM

812 posts, read 1,462,835 times
Quote:
I think after much thought, Oregon is out. There's quite a few places in Colorado that look appealing and have a very promising job market. I kept looking at Colorado Springs, but the safety is concerning me. Along with the schools. A safe area with good schools do not seem to come hand and hand for some reason. The list of Superfund sites is keeping me from heading to Denver or Boulder, even though everything else about it seems pretty good. It's kinda hard to willingly move somewhere with so many listed existing contaminants. Is there anywhere that is "clean" that has low crime and good schools? A town with more than 3 people is preferred. Hah, that seems to be the only places that meet that particular requirement!
Regarding your comments/concerns about Colorado Springs, I've lived here 14 years, am married with two pre-teen kids, and don't quite grasp the safety and school concerns. El Paso County (COS) has three of the five highest ranked school districts in Colorado (D-12, D-38, and D-20, in order of scholastic performance), all of which perform/test higher than any district in Denver. In other words, the public schools here tend to range from "good" to "excellent" and in some cases "superb." I live in the foothills west of town, have a 12 minute commute to downtown office, make a great living in part because there's a fair amount of wealth here that demands high-quality professional services, and I've never been mugged, robbed, assaulted, or even felt slightly threatened. So, as a local, I'm not quite grasping the "bad schools" and "dangerous vibe" you seem to have heard about from somewhere. I look around and see top-notch schools and districts and a safe, civilized environment. A certain amount of crime exists anywhere. I grew up in "posh" Santa Monica and the monthly crime map published in the daily newspaper made one think it was an absolute cesspool of violence. COS (at least my experience of it) is as close to ideal as I can imagine a real place being. Perfect? No. Excellent on many "quality-of-life" fronts? Yes.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:11 PM

285 posts, read 373,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Regarding your comments/concerns about Colorado Springs, I've lived here 14 years, am married with two pre-teen kids, and don't quite grasp the safety and school concerns. El Paso County (COS) has three of the five highest ranked school districts in Colorado (D-12, D-38, and D-20, in order of scholastic performance), all of which perform/test higher than any district in Denver. In other words, the public schools here tend to range from "good" to "excellent" and in some cases "superb." I live in the foothills west of town, have a 12 minute commute to downtown office, make a great living in part because there's a fair amount of wealth here that demands high-quality professional services, and I've never been mugged, robbed, assaulted, or even felt slightly threatened. So, as a local, I'm not quite grasping the "bad schools" and "dangerous vibe" you seem to have heard about from somewhere. I look around and see top-notch schools and districts and a safe, civilized environment. A certain amount of crime exists anywhere. I grew up in "posh" Santa Monica and the monthly crime map published in the daily newspaper made one think it was an absolute cesspool of violence. COS (at least my experience of it) is as close to ideal as I can imagine a real place being. Perfect? No. Excellent on many "quality-of-life" fronts? Yes.
Why has the city data crime score ranged from the 300's to the 400's for Colorado Springs, with 10+ murders a year ??? I've never been there, just driven through on I-25, are there good and bad areas of town ???

Old 05-15-2016, 09:43 AM

3,959 posts, read 4,328,386 times
30-40% of the crime in Cos occurs in two zip codes, so there is a pocket of the city that produce the highest numbers that drive the overall score. For better or worse, the high % of military population also contributes to that data within their communities. Many areas can be near or at zero violent crimes and some rarely see even petty crimes.

I'd also have to say that 10-12 murders annually in a 450,000 person city seems fairly low to me.

I'd also agree with smdensbcs that there are some pretty highly rated districts in Cos. 12 and 38 are routinely in the top of most reports, not to mention some exceptional private school campuses as well. Although, interestingly but perhaps because of the quality of the public education, there are no high end private schools in the northern part of the city/county.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:54 PM

19 posts, read 41,614 times
When looking at Colorado as a whole, the most "dangerous" areas are, of course the larger cities. Now, have I compared numbers to, say St. Louis, Detroit, Memphis.. no. I'm looking statistically just at Colorado. While the most "dangerous" areas may not actually be what many would consider dangerous, I still am taking it into consideration. It will still be a concern of mine simply because, I'm not interested in making "just a move", I want to make "the right move" So perhaps the concerns may seem asinine to you, however people move here without checking everything out and it bites them in the ass.
Contamination sites, for some reason, are not a worry for a lot of people. Perhaps the severity of the site itself should be looked into a little more before going off the deep end. But when there's areas with radioactive waste in the groundwater and a city is burying a large number of infants and children, it's something that shouldn't be ignored. Try looking up Times Beach and Weldon Spring in Missouri before you act like there should be no cause of concern when it comes to Superfund Sites. I could go to the middle of South Dakota where there are none, but of course, there isn't anything else there either. There's a happy medium that I intend to find.
Moving on... I do appreciate the other suggestions as to where to look. When checking out Oregon there were quite a few people who private messaged me saying the schools were awful even though they ranked pretty high FOR OREGON. Looking at a bunch of numbers on google doesn't mean too much, which is why I'm on here I do plan on making a trip this summer, and I think I have a better idea of where we will be heading.
Thanks

Old 05-16-2016, 05:01 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,434,598 times
Quote:

I do plan on making a trip this summer, and I think I have a better idea of where we will be heading.
Thanks
Definitely the best thing you can do. It's a big state though and given your concerns and limited information you're giving us to help you narrow it down, I hope you're planning a couple weeks to drive around.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:08 PM

2,324 posts, read 5,483,196 times
Since you don't seem to care about the costs, the perfect place is Boulder. Beautiful, VERY liberal, good schools. There is a TJ in Boulder and a Costco 10 minutes away on Hwy 36.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado