U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:10 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Do the last week in Sept, plan route by watching 'fall color map'. Web postings chronicling the peak colors. Keep flexible, Book the Stanley during mid week.

Consider Chama, NM railway and drop Durango, tough to fit both in one week. Both are great, with lots of Aspen. Since the days will be short, consider some night driving between destinations, especially for the return to DEN.

Option 2... Add a week and do Northern NM and the Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Fiesta.
The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta - Welcome to the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. Pretty and amazing (fall colors and balloons)
You don't really miss an opportunity to try to get people to leave Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 09:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,401 posts, read 39,713,740 times
Yup, Estes is about the only way to enter the park in late Sept. And on a short schedule.

Stay at the Stanley when you have the most time to enjoy it (before or after), I grew up on a ranch nearby, and had nearly the same view each morning for breakfast.... That is worth hanging around and enjoying. Even if the weather is rough (unlikely). You get to watch it change every hour.

Estes is not the premo spot for aspen colors, so it is not as important to get that stop at the correct time.. Other areas (higher and wetter) have more spectacular aspen. I would consider doing the drive to Estes from CoS or Idaho Falls through Nederland and Allenspark. It is a pretty nice fall drive. (Plus it will keep you out of (brown) Denver and traffic.)

Old 03-29-2016, 09:45 AM

2,019 posts, read 4,323,062 times
I think what stealthrabbit is trying to say is that you should drive the Peak to Peak Scenic Byway on your way to Estes Park/RMNP. It is more than "pretty nice" -- it is on every list for fall color drives.
Drive up Golden Gate Canyon (hwy 46) to join the Peak to Peak and you will see stunning stands of aspen - if your timing is good. https://www.codot.gov/travel/scenic-...l/peak-to-peak
Fall Drives in Colorado | Colorado.com

RMNP is a wonderful place to photograph fall color. I know, I live here and have photographed this area for over 30 years. Just Google for images. fall color in rmnp - Google Search
Fall in Estes Park, Colorado and Rocky Mountain National Park

Last edited by Neditate; 03-29-2016 at 11:06 AM..

Old 03-29-2016, 01:58 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,837,299 times
One of the best color displays in Colorado is Kebler Pass rd, a mostly gravel highway for it's 31 mile route between Crested Butte and highway 133 at the Paonia Reservoir. For much of it's length, it passes thru one of the largest Aspens forests on the planet. Lots of magnificent yellow in the fall.

Kebler Pass Rd

Old 03-29-2016, 05:44 PM

93 posts, read 74,690 times
Thanks so much you guys, hope this trip pans out. AAA called today, and they are working on a route for us,need to call them back tomorrow, I love planning a trip, last big one we took was to New Orleans. We are from the Harrisburg PA area.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:56 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,837,299 times
Jordy920 wrote: We are from the Harrisburg PA area.

I grew up in nearby Berks County, PA. I like Colorado MUCH better. I think you will too.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,401 posts, read 39,713,740 times
Harrisburg PA. Use the PA based guest home directory, It is my favorite for the last 25 yrs, and plenty of homes in Colorado. $20/ night worldwide with the best hosts and food you can imagine. If you are over age 40, there are several other guesthome options.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

My favorite Aspen viewing is Steamboat Springs, / Kremmling / Maroon Bells. I don't consider peak to peak (front range) as very nice aspen viewing, but since I drove it every week for may yrs, I might have missed something. All of the fall colors are very subject to frosts / snows / rain / wind. Be flexible, be informed.

Maroon Bells. - search google images... My phone connection in Indonesia is acting up today.

BTW: also be flexible with your AAA route. I have not used a 'trip-tic' for 30 yrs, but consider there are many places to get more informed and up to date info. I sure wish USA had an app like Campermate (NZ). Postings were updated real time, so you had CURRENT information on viewing / cost / wildlife / road conditions / hosts / availability. You zoomed to an area on map, and sorted postings by any of 30 plus catagories. We found so many 'off-the-road' places that made our trip an experience excellent. Tripadvisor is about the best USA has to offer, but I use Roadtrip too. I like 'non-tourist' places like natural hot springs and free farm stays. Scenic short cuts are good too. One place I found in Colo during an aspen trip was this superb spot. We were the only guests in the lodge, and chose any room and had kitchen privileges. We were the only ones using the huge hot springs pool, and had a great stay. I would like to go back for a 'working holiday'. We do that off season for places we enjoy. Work for a few weeks for free room. Just finished 6 wks in an Australia resort / vocational boarding school (nice place to be during USA winter... No blizzards to shovel this year.)

http://www.waunita.com

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-30-2016 at 03:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or