U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 07:59 PM

93 posts, read 74,690 times

Advertisements

We are planning to visit in September. The main things we are interested in seeing are Rocky Mountin State Park, Stanley Hotel, and Durango Silverton Railroad, we want to visit when the fall colors are at their height of color. we are thinking of flying into Denver September 10th and flying back out on the 18th. We will of course rent a car, could anybody give any suggestions? Thank you. We are planning in flying in from Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 09:09 PM

3,797 posts, read 3,987,784 times
Time of turning will vary by elevation and influenced by the weather. Your planned trip timing would be early in the turning of fall leaves in most places but it might be midway to early peak at highest elevations in northern Colorado. I might suggest a week or two later (especially to get color that arrives later in southern Colorado) if that is an option but there are other folks that have probably tracked it more carefully. There are some other threads that touch on this topic, perhaps to be found by using search tool and the phrase "fall colors".

Lots of different ways to get between Rocky Mtn NP and Durango. The choice depends on if you want maximum travel speed or scenery and stopping places. If you want suggestions on places to stop between RMNP and Durango, beyond foliage gazing, let us know what most interests you.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-27-2016 at 09:36 PM..

Old 03-27-2016, 09:32 PM

Thank you for the reply, a week or two later would be fine, we are open to anytime, we just want to get the maximum photo ops.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:42 PM

3,797 posts, read 3,987,784 times
This old link from the Durango Silverton 23rd Annual Fall Photo Train | Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train is one vote in favor of a last week of September peak for Durango foliage.

For reservations at the Stanley Hotel and on the Durango train, you are probably wise to decide and lock in before July, maybe earlier.

A half a day and perhaps a night on the west side of RMNP around Grand Lake / Granby is a nice, quieter addition to time in the Estes Park scene.

There a few links to old citydata threads on the topic on the first page here http://www.google.com/search?=client...wbCD0QrQIIFDAA The very first link has a list of some of the best fall color sites in the state.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-27-2016 at 09:55 PM..

Old 03-27-2016, 11:53 PM

603 posts, read 732,647 times
I agree with NW Crow unless it's an unusual year, Sept 10 will be too early for peak fall colors.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:20 AM

2,019 posts, read 4,323,062 times
The aspen are typically at peak in Rocky Mountain National Park at the end of September. They start changing mid September but any time between the third week of September to the end is good timing for photos. Some years they last into the first week in October but I wouldn't wait that long.
You might use this guide as reference for color change in the state: When and where to see the fall colors in Colorado

Colorado fall colors guide 2015: Where and when to find the most beautiful changing leaves - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

Old 03-28-2016, 11:48 AM

Thanks all, I've been doing a little more research and husband is fanatical about visiting Pikes Peak, so at this point we want to visit that, I'm also researching Seven Falls and Cog Railway, I also want to visit Rocky Mountain National Park and do a ghost tour at the Stanley Motel. Is this all doable in 7 days? Right now the plan is to fly into Denver and rent a car, touring for seven full days, then returning car and flying back out of Denver.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:06 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordy920 View Post
Thanks all, I've been doing a little more research and husband is fanatical about visiting Pikes Peak, so at this point we want to visit that, I'm also researching Seven Falls and Cog Railway, I also want to visit Rocky Mountain National Park and do a ghost tour at the Stanley Motel. Is this all doable in 7 days? Right now the plan is to fly into Denver and rent a car, touring for seven full days, then returning car and flying back out of Denver.
The above is definitely doable, but add a trip to Durango/SW Colorado and it is not.

Just FYI, the elk rut is happening in RMNP from mid September through October. It's an awesome time to be there.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,401 posts, read 39,713,740 times
Do the last week in Sept, plan route by watching 'fall color map'. Web postings chronicling the peak colors. Keep flexible, Book the Stanley during mid week.

Consider Chama, NM railway and drop Durango, tough to fit both in one week. Both are great, with lots of Aspen. Since the days will be short, consider some night driving between destinations, especially for the return to DEN.

Option 2... Add a week and do Northern NM and the Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Fiesta.
http://www.balloonfiesta.com. Pretty and amazing (fall colors and balloons)

Old 03-28-2016, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the reply guys, if everything pans out we are planning on flying in on Sept 24th. I'm not sure if it's better to do the Colorado Springs portion first, or the Rocky Mountain National Park, entering from the Estes Park area.and doing the Stanley before entering the park or not. I have AAA working on an itenerary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or