U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 10:25 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,575,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Consider this as well: Temperature alone is a poor indicator of comfort level. EG this morning the temp was 35, with sunny sky and calm wind. I carried my jacket on most of the 3 mile loop I walked. Now in mid afternoon, the temp is 52 with a brisk wind and cloudy sky, I'm all bundled up AND I'm freezing my ass off.
This is the essence of Colorado weather. Sun makes it feel at least 10, if not 20 degrees warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 12:54 PM

77,972 posts, read 69,907,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Ruth4Truth: Try the southern edge of the state, bordering NM. Winters have been much milder the last few years.

Yeah, BUT next winter might revert to the norm! Can't count on the milder winters.
Yes, you can, in these days of global warming. Climatologists specializing in the NW say winters will continue to be drier than normal, and temps are edging upward. There will be more record-breaking heat spikes, much less precip in the winter. Tree cover will continue to disappear, victim of summer fires--nature's way of altering the ecosystem to fit with the new climactic reality. The Sonoran desert is coming soon to an environment near you.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:52 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,332,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Try the southern edge of the state, bordering NM. Winters have been much milder the last few years. Consider Pagosa Springs. If you're looking to be in or near the mountains, you'll have colder winters, due to increased elevation. But take a look at Durango, in the SW part of the state, which has some elevation, but not like most of the rest of the state.
Winters have been getting warmer out here - sure enough - but we still get many nights when temps fall to below zero even here in the "banana belt" where Cortez is located. Not being in the banana belt, Durango gets plenty of snow and cold. I would hazard the guess that Durango actually averages more snow and cold temps than most of the Front Range. You can't get anymore southern or western in the state of Colorado than Cortez (or Durango). You might try various parts of New Mexico instead.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,401 posts, read 39,713,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
No, not necessary to be Colorado. I live in Vermont and just want something different.
Seriously consider OR, WA and Northern CA. All have moderate climates, mtns, recreation, coastline, wide range of climates (tho none as sunny and dry as CO), and much more like VT than the vast majority of CO. East of Cascades is drier and cheaper, Bend, OR; Wenatchee WA; Spokane, WA. WA will be best for retirement taxes, and has a better economy for your skillset. If you like fishing and hunting, these places will be a good choice.

Also consider Northern ID. Quite snowy, but quite decent winters and gorgeous summers. If you like recreation / camping, Consider to be near Canada. The campgrounds there are very nice and not at all crowded.

Since you are a HvEqOp, you likely have your CDL, so you can load up a semitruck and head west. I also have found really good rates on Uship.com for entire semi loads. (I recently moved some of my farm stuff from WA to Hill Country of TX.). Dozer, trucks, cycles, diesel cars, welders, machine shop...

Old 04-02-2016, 12:07 PM

77,972 posts, read 69,907,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Winters have been getting warmer out here - sure enough - but we still get many nights when temps fall to below zero even here in the "banana belt" where Cortez is located. Not being in the banana belt, Durango gets plenty of snow and cold. I would hazard the guess that Durango actually averages more snow and cold temps than most of the Front Range. You can't get anymore southern or western in the state of Colorado than Cortez (or Durango). You might try various parts of New Mexico instead.
Thanks for the detail about Durango. I agree with the suggestions on this thread to look at NM. Northern NM is still in the mountains, which the OP seems to have as a priority, but milder winters. Taos, NM could be a good fit for the OP. Easy access to hiking. Santa Fe, too, but it's a bigger town, and access to hiking isn't quite so easy, but definitely there are avid hikers there.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:06 AM

2,659 posts, read 2,306,510 times
Also look into northern Arizona south to Dewey-Humboldt, much warmer areas but not blazing hot like Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado