U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2016, 07:02 AM
 
11 posts, read 9,782 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

My husband will be graduating from chiropractic school in Dallas,TX soon and we will be associating in New Zealand for two years after that. Once We are done in NZ it will be time to set up in the states. We have narrowed our options down to Texas or Colorado due to their economies and support for small businesses. We can move anywhere but prefer to live somewhere that has fun outdoor activities and where my husband and myself won't feel strange being of extremely diverse backgrounds. We also will be trying to start a family by then and would prefer living in a great location for families. So please give me all your advice and knowledge concerning your preferable location. Would you rather live/start a business in Colorado or Texas and if so, where? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2016, 09:22 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,401 posts, read 39,713,740 times
Reputation: 23426
From a straight financial perspective...
Texas for sure, do the math on your business taxes / organization(LLC/LLP/Legal) / labor / office costs( Real Estate related)

Add in the Income Tax Free benefit of Texas

Subtract the Business Risk factor of CO politics / business issues / energy / infrastructure costs / risks.

Calculate the potential revenues / growth of your business (the ultimate resale value / or value over time to your income)

There are some pretty nice areas of Texas, (certainly better than DFW), Look to Boerne and Helotes area for business starts and potential growth. (Huge influx of new families and active retirees.)

Colorado has potentially a better Quality of life, but probably higher risk to that QoL. I would suggest CoS, and Loveland / Ft Collins for growth in your future client base, and decent access to Recreation (without fighting the Denver crowds to get there). Really nice if you can LIVE within your recreation space (Evaluate Glenwood Springs as a mtn destination, downside is quick access to international airport, upside is a nearby college and good growth of your potential client base / stable economy and MAYBE a chance to add niche clients from Aspen area or have a satelitte office there or in GJunction to sustain needed revenues.

Have your local SBDC or SCORE office help you run the numbers. (This is free, there are likely many retired Chiropractors as free business counselors in either organization). The national headqtrs of SBDC is in SA, TX. They are a wealth of information on market studies and finances for small business and practices. Seriously look at ways to service the US VA patients / revenue stream. Which state has the most robust medical / ACA / insurance board structure to assure your future revenues?

There are LOTS better states to consider this practice / recreational / quality of life. Do you have any student debt that needs 'forgiveness'? My Dr. did time on a NA reservation to get his debt forgiven, he said the Educational value of this stint was beyond expectation and made him a much better MD.

You mention need for 'cultural diversity / great family area'. Both TX and CO are not stellar at that virtue.

You might want to clarify.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-30-2016 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 05:21 PM
 
11 posts, read 9,782 times
Reputation: 14
Thank you for that wonderful advice! We appreciate your knowledge! We definitely feel like we would enjoy colorado more because of its natural beauty but feel it might be worth it to grind in Texas for a while to build up our finances. We definitely have NOT enjoyed our 3 yrs in Dallas though so we are researching other towns. And about my diversity comment, I am Guatemalan/Welsh born and raised on the coast of Maryland and my husband is Hawaiian/Filipino born and raised on Oahu. I guess you could say we are a tiny bit concerned for our future children and if they will feel a little out of place or treated differently because of their diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 08:48 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,401 posts, read 39,713,740 times
Reputation: 23426
Thx, I can see why you might be concerned.

I would head west (coast)

Areas near Vancouver BC ( but still in USA) are really nice for recreation and diversity.
Consider Bellingham and Fairhaven, WA.

CA and OR have some tax and school funding issues, so consider that. Race is generally a non-issue on most of the west coast, especially PNW.

Is HI an option? Both WA and HI offer free FT college instead of HS. That solves a lot of unnecessary social problems for your HS aged kids.

Colo can be less than pleasant for racial issues in schools, but certainly near high tech, metro / military is not as bad, and could actually be quite diverse. Keep CoS on your list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,525 posts, read 10,194,145 times
Reputation: 9757
Honestly COL and cost of doing business are the only two pro-Texas arguments I can come up with. Houses are cheap and the state is really business friendly, but IMNSHO the Texas Triangle is a dreadful place to live due in large part to the awful climate and really bland geography.

Unless you REALLY like the water (and golf or tennis) the triangle region is an outdoor wasteland. If you like mountains, the closest Texas comes can be found in BFE, 8-10 hours drive west of DFW.

One thing to keep in mind about Colorado is the possibility of single payer healthcare becoming the law of the land after the election in November.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 03-30-2016 at 09:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2016, 11:13 AM
 
1,316 posts, read 1,177,526 times
Reputation: 1932
Chiropractors will not be as much in demand in Colo. now that Colorado has legal cannabis.....just sayin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2016, 06:35 PM
 
11 posts, read 9,782 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
From a straight financial perspective...
Texas for sure, do the math on your business taxes / organization(LLC/LLP/Legal) / labor / office costs( Real Estate related)

Add in the Income Tax Free benefit of Texas

Subtract the Business Risk factor of CO politics / business issues / energy / infrastructure costs / risks.

Calculate the potential revenues / growth of your business (the ultimate resale value / or value over time to your income)

There are some pretty nice areas of Texas, (certainly better than DFW), Look to Boerne and Helotes area for business starts and potential growth. (Huge influx of new families and active retirees.)

Colorado has potentially a better Quality of life, but probably higher risk to that QoL. I would suggest CoS, and Loveland / Ft Collins for growth in your future client base, and decent access to Recreation (without fighting the Denver crowds to get there). Really nice if you can LIVE within your recreation space (Evaluate Glenwood Springs as a mtn destination, downside is quick access to international airport, upside is a nearby college and good growth of your potential client base / stable economy and MAYBE a chance to add niche clients from Aspen area or have a satelitte office there or in GJunction to sustain needed revenues.

Have your local SBDC or SCORE office help you run the numbers. (This is free, there are likely many retired Chiropractors as free business counselors in either organization). The national headqtrs of SBDC is in SA, TX. They are a wealth of information on market studies and finances for small business and practices. Seriously look at ways to service the US VA patients / revenue stream. Which state has the most robust medical / ACA / insurance board structure to assure your future revenues?

There are LOTS better states to consider this practice / recreational / quality of life. Do you have any student debt that needs 'forgiveness'? My Dr. did time on a NA reservation to get his debt forgiven, he said the Educational value of this stint was beyond expectation and made him a much better MD.

You mention need for 'cultural diversity / great family area'. Both TX and CO are not stellar at that virtue.

You might want to clarify.
Oh and what other states would you recommend despite the diversity concern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2016, 08:58 PM
 
1,246 posts, read 919,200 times
Reputation: 1433
Like everywhere else there is a Chiropractor on every corner in CO. Considering everyone and their mother wants to be here, Im willing to bet the market is pretty oversaturated.

I have a very close friend thats a Chiro and I feel bad for her.

Not sure if you know what the Joint is or not but its a Chiro chain. They are popping up everywhere. They charge a flat rate of $20/visit. My friend was offered a job there. The hours were like 10-7 6 days a week with no lunch break. Starting pay was $38k. According to her, its the death of the practice. Not sure how you can compete if you have your own and you charge insurance and the copay is the same. She had issues getting into a network with insurance. She was constantly told there were too many chiros already and couldn't get on board. Made opening her own practice difficult.

good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2016, 03:40 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,401 posts, read 39,713,740 times
Reputation: 23426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapinadancer View Post
Oh and what other states would you recommend despite the diversity concern?
Colorado and Oregon forums are not too keen on recommendations to other states, from within THEIR forum.
I have lived with these folks for decades, it is best to let them remain thinking they have the BEST state in the whole world, it gives them warm fuzzies about their own choices.

You have a criteria list, Make a spreadsheet with weighted scale (scoring) add the numbers you need to determine the future success of your practice, Validate assumptions. Run the math, states will drop like flies and you will be left with only a couple viable choices (one might even be Colorado!). It is not unlikely, since it has growth, recreation, and a fairly equitable tax structure, and versitile economy.

Go and visit and do market research including LOTS of personal interviews with existing chiros, BEFORE you head to NZ. Do business analysis very thouroughly, stay wil local people when visiting (not hotels). Stay away from Economic Development people and Chamber of Commerce. You want a non-biased business study. There are tons of stats, especially at business school universities. You can find out very accurately what is being spent on chiro services, as well as the income figures for that NAICS sector. https://www.census.gov/eos/www/naics/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2016, 09:28 AM
 
11 posts, read 9,782 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Like everywhere else there is a Chiropractor on every corner in CO. Considering everyone and their mother wants to be here, Im willing to bet the market is pretty oversaturated.

I have a very close friend thats a Chiro and I feel bad for her.

Not sure if you know what the Joint is or not but its a Chiro chain. They are popping up everywhere. They charge a flat rate of $20/visit. My friend was offered a job there. The hours were like 10-7 6 days a week with no lunch break. Starting pay was $38k. According to her, its the death of the practice. Not sure how you can compete if you have your own and you charge insurance and the copay is the same. She had issues getting into a network with insurance. She was constantly told there were too many chiros already and couldn't get on board. Made opening her own practice difficult.

good luck.
Thank you for your input, yes we have definitely heard of them. My husband was even asked to join by the head manager of the company but politely refused. They are not providing quality care and are kind of like the mcdonalds of the chiro business. You can get an adjustment there but that doesnt mean you are recieving the best treatment. My husband will be a specialized neuro chiropractor which there are only a handful of them in the u.s and he will be treating more severe cases. And yes over saturation can be an issue but if the population continues to grow as quickly as it is, so will the need for chiros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top