U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 01:20 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,881,407 times

Advertisements

This is a three-day drive with a U-haul. I would go south and take I-40. There is only about a 120 mile difference and you will avoid late snowstorms better going through New Mexico than you would going through Colorado or Wyoming. It is less windy too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 04:23 AM

2,408 posts, read 3,054,437 times
I agree...I would go south as quickly as possible..... south on 35 to 40, to 58 at Barstow to 5n at Bakersfield to 46w to 101s at Paso Robles. Cuesta grade is downhill into SLO....I have taken other roads btwn Bakersfield and SLO, but 46 is a safer route.
OK TX, NM and AZ can be iffy in April tho'

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-03-2016, 09:13 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,835,798 times
davidv wrote: This is a three-day drive with a U-haul. I would go south and take I-40.

IMO, this route makes the most sense! The only relative highpoint is going thru Flagstaff, and it's not too bad. Also, being further south lessens the chances of running into winter weather, though the possibility is still there.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,389 posts, read 39,704,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
This is a three-day drive with a U-haul. I would go south and take I-40. There is only about a 120 mile difference and you will avoid late snowstorms better going through New Mexico than you would going through Colorado or Wyoming. It is less windy too.
Yup... Wind and potential ground blizzards... If DRY... Use I-80 and drive it at night (you won't miss the scenery).

If any chance of WY / NE / UT ice / ground blizzards, drive I-40.

I did nightly trucking trips from DEN to Rock Springs (and Buffalo / RC)... I really hated the Rock Springs run.

Full moon glistening on snowy prairie excluded. WoW... Enjoy SLO !!!!

Old 04-11-2016, 03:23 PM

17 posts, read 13,280 times
The I-70 route is pretty, but more traffic. Another alternate is to take US 40 over Berthoud Pass. It's only 2 lanes, and a lot slower if you get behind trucks, and the dropoffs and hairpins on the pass are a bit challenging, but you sure will see a lot more than blasting by on an interstate. Ranches, wildlife (moose all the time in the Frasier valley), and peaceful vistas. You will get a chance to see what rural Colorado is really like.

Also, do you have a V6 or better in your vehicle? 4 cylinders are slow going through Eisenhower Tunnel and Vail Pass. I advise getting a high-altitude tune up. Will make a difference.

I suggest taking one route out, and another back. You'll see a lot more that way.

The I-80 route seems the best time and towing option, though.

Best wishes for a wonderful journey,
A White Raven

Old 04-12-2016, 10:10 AM

54 posts, read 63,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A White Raven View Post
Another alternate is to take US 40 over Berthoud Pass. It's only 2 lanes, and a lot slower if you get behind trucks, and the dropoffs and hairpins on the pass are a bit challenging, but you sure will see a lot more than blasting by on an interstate.
Oh lord. I'd much rather take a UHaul over I-70 than negotiate Berthoud Pass. You'll be the one to slow things down and that would get highly stressful in a hurry IMO. Better to take an interstate that has a designated slow lane....

Old 04-12-2016, 02:34 PM

3,043 posts, read 2,076,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A White Raven View Post
I advise getting a high-altitude tune up. Will make a difference.
Great Scott! Carburators haven't been used in the Ford chassis under a U-Haul since 1989. EFI and all the sensors that come in modern engines controls see no benefit from a high altitude tune up to a point I'd say it doesn't exist any more, unless you're driving a classic.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:00 AM

634 posts, read 890,696 times
When exactly is this trip? There's a big fat snowstorm on the way this weekend. GO SOUTH!
(I also had to chuckle at the Berthoud Pass and "high altitude tune" suggestions)

Old 04-14-2016, 03:19 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,124,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donfrench View Post
Yeah, I ran amok in Winnemucca once.

If I take i-80 I will turn left in SLC.
Yep. Take a left and go up Parley's Canyon, through Park City, down and around Strawberry Reservoir and by the time you hit Evanston you'll be out of the hills and in for miles and miles of wind-blown nothin.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:30 PM

13 posts, read 10,060 times
Take I-35 thru IA, MO, KS, OK. If you want to avoid OK City go W to Enid then S to I-40 at El Reno if I remember right. Then west thru TX, NM, AZ. Not a bad drive at all. A long downhill into Albuquerque and another west of Flagstaff but thats about the worst of it. Then your choice to get to your destination. Safe trip and just remember your stopping distances will be longer so plan accordingly. And don't let your downhill speeds get out of control. You'll be just fine almost any route you choose. Watch the weather.

I'm driving to Flagstaff in a couple days. The route above was my usual route. Especially in winter. But this time taking 35 to 80 to 25, but I avoid Denver, then Alb and Flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or