U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 1,385 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My family is moving to Colorado from Roswell, GA (suburb of Atlanta) in June with our twin 7-year-old boys. One lives and breathes soccer, and the other prefers rock climbing/biking/nature stuff. My husband and I both work from home in creative fields, so commuting is not an issue. We are looking for a family-friendly place with great public schools. We would love to keep our budget under $400k. Where should we be looking?

Thanks so much!
Holly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 11:52 AM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Not enough info. Urban, rural, suburban? Mountains? Need to be near Denver for any reason? How much house do you want for $400K? How about land?

Old 04-03-2016, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,385 times
Urban or suburban would work. Close enough to mountains for a day trip. No need to be near Denver, but not opposed to it, either. Ideally a 3-bed, 2-bath would work for us. Could drop down to 2 bedrooms and let the boys share. I am not a fan of yard work!

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2016, 07:30 PM

3,797 posts, read 3,987,784 times
There are tons of similar threads that could be worth browsing.

At the top end of your housing budget with reputedly very good schools are Louisville and Evergreen (with a heavier winter). Highlands Ranch appears to have high rated schools with a somewhat lower average housing price. Longmont schools vary more between average and great but has a lot lower average house price. Golden has mixed average and very good school ratings too though it is at high end of your housing budget. Colorado Springs is frequently mentioned for having good values for homes for Colorado and good schools if you pick the right neighborhoods. Between these 6 places, you can probably find something that fits. There may be a half dozen as worthy or almost but these are the ones that seemed like pretty strong options to me.

Weekends can be fairly slow. You might get more responses Mon. / Tues., especially if you decide to add some more detail about other likes or needs.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-03-2016 at 07:42 PM..

Old 04-03-2016, 09:42 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 19 days ago)

10,882 posts, read 29,310,762 times
The Springs.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:02 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,812,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyloo View Post
Hello!

My family is moving to Colorado from Roswell, GA (suburb of Atlanta) in June with our twin 7-year-old boys. One lives and breathes soccer, and the other prefers rock climbing/biking/nature stuff. My husband and I both work from home in creative fields, so commuting is not an issue. We are looking for a family-friendly place with great public schools. We would love to keep our budget under $400k. Where should we be looking?

Thanks so much!
Holly
I grew up in Roswell and lived most of my life there before moving to Boulder 3 years ago. Here are couple of thoughts that might help you:

- The front range doesn't have the sprawl that you have in Atlanta. It's good and bad. Bad? There aren't as many housing options or houses in general. This has created a lack of affordable homes. Which brings me to the big issue: $400k doesn't go very far here. There are nice places with good schools that have house under $400k, but the houses are not as big or as nice as in Atlanta.

- Soccer is growing, but there aren't as many club teams and they aren't as well established. It is definitely growing though. Plenty of rock climbing and outdoorsy things for the other son.

- The front range isn't as conservative as metro Atlanta. You might love or hate this. The South side of Denver tends to be more conservative. Denver is more middle of the road similar to the City of Atlanta. Boulder doesn't compare to anything in the area.

Have you ever been to Denver? Why are you moving away from Roswell and what are you hoping to find that's the same or different here in Colorado?

Old 04-04-2016, 12:10 PM

8,816 posts, read 13,576,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
I grew up in Roswell and lived most of my life there before moving to Boulder 3 years ago. Here are couple of thoughts that might help you:

- The front range doesn't have the sprawl that you have in Atlanta. It's good and bad. Bad? There aren't as many housing options or houses in general. This has created a lack of affordable homes. Which brings me to the big issue: $400k doesn't go very far here. There are nice places with good schools that have house under $400k, but the houses are not as big or as nice as in Atlanta.

- The front range isn't as conservative as metro Atlanta.
Except, I imagine, in Colorado Springs. Granted I don't know what Atlanta is like but Colorado Springs is very conservative.

Equally, $400K does go much further in the Springs than the Denver/Boulder area. Though I have heard the market has gone up here in the last few months, I can't imagine it's gone so far up that you can't get a good sized 3 bedroom house in a nice area for under $400K. I just did a Zillow search for 3 bedroom homes in the Springs, $200-400K, and I even added a min of 2,500 sq ft, and I got 300 results. Granted, not all of those are going to be in great areas but there's plenty of options even in District 20 (second best school district in Colorado Springs).

Conversely, the same criteria in Roswell, GA only brings up 27 results. That could be because it's a smaller area, but my point is merely that I don't agree that $400K won't get you as big or nice a home here in the Springs as it would in the Atlanta area.

The same settings for Boulder bring up zero results, which doesn't surprise me, but Boulder's market certainly doesn't define all of the front range.

My advice to anyone who is not set on the Denver area and doesn't mind a conservative area to seriously consider Colorado Springs. It's very family-friendly, very affordable, and Denver is close enough to do day trips there.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:22 PM

58 posts, read 49,740 times
You can still get a lot of really nice houses for under 400k in Colorado Springs. 3000+ sqft, 3-5 bedrooms, 3 car garage, etc... All in Briargate/D20 schools. They go fast, but they are out there!

Old 04-04-2016, 12:55 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,812,299 times
The Springs might be great for their family. It's about as conservative as the suburbs of Atlanta, and they might love or hate that. It really depends on what they are looking for. Plus, it's not like leaning a bit liberal precludes someone from living in the Springs.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:11 PM

863 posts, read 1,310,057 times
Pride Soccer in Colorado Springs is a good soccer organization- been suggested to me many times, my son is involved with them, and many of my students sing its praises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado