U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 12:56 PM

19,430 posts, read 17,674,661 times

Advertisements

We are planning on taking a vacation to Colorado this summer and this time plan to fly instead of driving, takes us 3 days each way the last 2 times we visited. My wife's friend, who we will be staying with lives in Littleton. Flights seem a bit cheaper flying into Colorado Springs that Denver Int. I understand the drive from the Springs to Denver is about 1 hour but which airport is better to fly in and out of? We will be renting a car when we get there. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 01:22 PM

1,885 posts, read 2,285,010 times
I have flown into both airports. I would never use Denver international as a destination airport. Denver is fine as a place to fly in and catch a connecting flight, but as soon as leave the airport controlled areas you will regret it.

Colorado Springs is a much friendlier airport with fewer people and traffic.

Colorado is a great vacation spot after you can get away from the people and traffic.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:26 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
DIA is one of the largest and busiest airports in the country. COS is a small regional airport. COS will be easier in and out, but the time you save at the airport will likely get eaten up with the drive down there. If it is a lot cheaper, COS would be worth it, but there are probably significantly fewer flight options in and out of there.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:54 PM

4,794 posts, read 4,896,352 times
COL airport: easy access, cheaper parking, fewer destinations, more expensive fares, rarely busy

DIA: cheaper fares, more destinations, expensive parking, sometimes crazy busy

you choose

Old 04-03-2016, 06:45 PM

8,814 posts, read 13,576,496 times
Colorado Springs airport to Littleton is more like 1 hour and 20 mins but if the flight is significantly cheaper, it might still be worth it for you.

The funny thing is though, you can wind up booking a trip that flies into Denver and then goes from Denver to Colorado Springs and yet this is cheaper than if you took the same flight into Denver without the additional flight to the Springs. If this is the case for you, you could always book the one that includes Colorado Springs for cheaper, but simply not get on it and drive from Denver. Trouble is, you can't do it the other way around on the way home - if you skip the flight from Colorado Springs to Denver, they'll assume you won't be there in Denver to get your second flight and they'll cancel it.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:14 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,037,522 times
Colorado Springs is a much smaller airport, easy to get in and out of. DIA can get bad weather and when the weather finally clears they will try to land everyone and it will be INSANE.

DIA to Littleton is 45 minutes. COS is 1h 15min. If you are checking bags, you'll likely get out of COS faster which would negate the time difference in driving. Plus, you'll actually see mountains while flying in and driving north. The car rental rates might be cheaper out of COS and MUCH easier to pickup and drop off.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:32 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,196,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Colorado Springs airport to Littleton is more like 1 hour and 20 mins but if the flight is significantly cheaper, it might still be worth it for you.

The funny thing is though, you can wind up booking a trip that flies into Denver and then goes from Denver to Colorado Springs and yet this is cheaper than if you took the same flight into Denver without the additional flight to the Springs. If this is the case for you, you could always book the one that includes Colorado Springs for cheaper, but simply not get on it and drive from Denver. Trouble is, you can't do it the other way around on the way home - if you skip the flight from Colorado Springs to Denver, they'll assume you won't be there in Denver to get your second flight and they'll cancel it.
If you skip any segment, they'll cancel your entire trip.

OP, just fly in and out of DEN. Flights are significantly cheaper and assuming since you're from Eastern NC I assume you'll be flying from some regional airport or RDU, COS is only served via DFW, ORD, DEN, ATL, and IAH, east of the Rockies so you'll have some connection to get to COS, if not two connections.

Non-stop flights from Eastern NC to Denver include: CLT, RDU and Norfolk, VA, so why not just fly directly to Denver than deal with the hassle of connecting, waiting for another flight etc.

COS only really makes sense if you live in the Springs or Pueblo and can catch a non-stop to where you're flying to/from or if DEN doesn't have a flight to where you want (such as Paris or Amsterdam) where you'll have to connect through ORD/ATL/IAH/DFW anyways.

Last edited by caverunner17; 04-04-2016 at 03:41 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 04:43 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,077,790 times
I've been pleasantly surprised at some of the cheap fares into/out of Cos. It used to be a $100-300 premium to fly from the Cos airport, so to see fares that are equal to, or even cheaper than Dia is great! I'm flying to Seattle this summer not only was my flight cheaper from Cos than Dia, I don't have the parking expense.

With that said, I don't think I would consider flying into Cos if my final destination was actually in Denver metro. Connecting flights will usually have some sort of layover of some sort so you will then have time spent on a layover vs the car rental and time on the highway. Additionally, while there is I-25 between Cos and Littleton, it is predominately a two lane stretch and traffic can be fairly heavy and an accident will easily put a 30-90 minute delay into traffic flow.

Of course, a trip from Dia to Littleton will run you an hour too and you'll have Denver traffic at the airport and the roadways. 225 will have plenty of congestion or you can go E470 and pay $15.

Looks like a toss up. Scenery from Cos to Littleton is better than Dia to Littleton, if that matters.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:26 PM

19,430 posts, read 17,674,661 times
Thanks for all the replies. I have checked prices and COS is cheaper right now by about $60 per person. That is flying in late August. I would fly out of our regional airport so the connection would be in Atlanta. I could save money by flying out of RDU but then I would have to get a motel there the night before the flight since I am about 3 hours away thus throwing away my savings.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:56 PM

5,321 posts, read 7,169,198 times
Denver's airport is pretty but I think Colorado Springs is much less hassle in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or