U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2016, 09:39 PM

147 posts, read 187,697 times

Advertisements

oops, triple post. We need edit care reform.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:58 PM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asusual View Post
"I've read that the overhead for Medicare is just 5% versus 20-30% for the insurance firms who have battalions of clerks looking for ways to deny coverage for a claim."

Mike, thanks for this, and you are correct. Medicare is about 6% admin costs, while private insurance is about 30%. As Katrina said the The ACA has mandated that insurers now have to devote something like the "80/20" rule. Not only are the insurance company medical directors there to deny as many claims as they can, they employe an army of clerks to look for reasons to deny them and save on what they call "medical losses" -- those who have the bad luck to get sick, they compel providers, hospitals, practices, and so on to employ a near army of billing clerks to wrestle with the insurers for claims. I heard a story that a female physician told once where the insurer wanted her to become the legal guardian of a patient before they would "authorize," a particular medication of that patient.

I have also experienced this. I've had to fight denied claims before, sometimes three or four at the same time. If our legislators had to go through this, we would have universal care in ten minutes.

"It burns me that first Massachusetts (Romney Care) and now Colorado are forced to step out on their own because our ho-house of a congress is on the take from the insurance industry to maintain the usurious status quo."

I agree here. It is ridiculous that states like Massachusetts and now Colorado have to do it alone because our Federal government is so corrupt and on the take from the insurance companies. This is how we ended up with the stupid ACA.

"Some companies will shut their doors and relocate. Some individuals might pack up. I will be considering it. Im fortunate to live anywhere in my territory and I don't want the govt taking any more out of my pocket and I have excellent insurance."

If it is ok to ask, I am curious what kind of insurance you do have. You are one of the lucky ones. For every employee like yourself, five or ten might have insurance so lousy that they cannot use it -- that is, if they have it at all. Why should one employee have better health insurance than another, simply by virtue of employment. At a company I worked at, for example, I had insurance that carried a $5,000 deductible and worked next to a co-worker who had full insurance, without this deductible, simply because our job classifications were different. Is this right?

Also, never forget one thing. This is why I asked what kind of insurance you have now. If this "excellent insurance" is a private policy provided by the company you work for, your company could just as easily take it away. They could go with a new insurer, for example, to cut costs or suddenly decide that they do not want offer that plan you are on to lower their costs. Or they could eliminate your position to save costs and then you would see who would be "taking money out of your pocket" and how much they extract from it if you happened to get sick. I put these out there because I have experienced them first hand. You could be next.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:46 AM

4,796 posts, read 4,901,271 times
I haven't read all 172 posts but for good reasons, this is a hot issue.

I don't think this proposition will pass because I don't think one state can unilaterally implement single payer. Vermont toyed with it and stopped after computing the costs.

If Colorado actually did this and my retirement income suddenly was subject to a 10% tax I would immediately move to Arizona. Many other retirees would do the same.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:32 AM

1,246 posts, read 919,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I haven't read all 172 posts but for good reasons, this is a hot issue.

I don't think this proposition will pass because I don't think one state can unilaterally implement single payer. Vermont toyed with it and stopped after computing the costs.

If Colorado actually did this and my retirement income suddenly was subject to a 10% tax I would immediately move to Arizona. Many other retirees would do the same.
So would a lot of people. Then a bunch of people that want free stuff would move to CO.

Hey free health care...wait a minute I take home a lot less than I use to!

10% is a lot of money when you start earning a significant amount. Its not that much to someone who earns less.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:59 AM

93 posts, read 53,185 times
"You do realize that Medicare contracts out its admin to these same companies, no?"

Yes, I was aware that Medicare did outsource some services, though not to which companies until I looked at the link here. This seems like billing for claims, etc. Unfortunately, this is not an uncommon practice. I do not approve of it.

"Hey free health care...wait a minute I take home a lot less than I use to!"

LOL...you would really take home much less without it You would probably be in bankruptcy court. Medical bankruptcies are over 60% now of bankruptcies in the USA.

"I don't think this proposition will pass because I don't think one state can unilaterally implement single payer. Vermont toyed with it and stopped after computing the costs."

I've read online that Vermont has not entirely stopped it yet, but is trying to figure a way to keep moving forward. Vermont's political situation is much different too. They have elections every two years instead where the entire slate has to run again from Governor on down the ranks and do not have anything like the ballot initiative. This is how Colorado, Washington, and some other states have legalized marijuana, for example, while Vermont tried it through the legislature and failed that way. From what I've read it was the same way with their universal care proposal. I also suspect that if Colorado does it that it will not be alone for long. For obvious reasons, the change to a universal care system in this country will have to come from the states, just like with marijuana.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:52 AM

4,796 posts, read 4,901,271 times
Whenever you make a change you should consider the adverse consequences. All systems are dynamic.

If we could actually initiate a "Medicare for All" law at the national level and do it gradually perhaps the system could evolve to make it work.

But if we do it suddenly in one state, two things will happen: The people who perceive no incremental benefit, just additional taxes or lower compensation will leave and the people who really need free healthcare will move in.

That system blows up.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:59 PM

"f we could actually initiate a "Medicare for All" law at the national level and do it gradually perhaps the system could evolve to make it work.

But if we do it suddenly in one state, two things will happen: The people who perceive no incremental benefit, just additional taxes or lower compensation will leave and the people who really need free healthcare will move in.

That system blows up."

You forgot a third thing. Other states will most likely start their own universal care movements. As for "free healthcare," no one has ever said that it is free. It is free at the point of delivery, which is a different entity.

If we wait for the national government to do a medicare-for-all, we will be waiting for another millennium. The Federals are too corrupted. Unfortunately, if change is going to happen at all, it has to come up from the states. That is just a fact of life in these United States.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:57 AM

285 posts, read 272,507 times
If the feds are corrupted, what makes you think the states don't suffer from the same problem? I personally do think they're equally susceptible to corruption, but at least on the state level, accountability and transparency is relatively more plausible.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:19 PM

I personally do think they're equally susceptible to corruption, but at least on the state level, accountability and transparency is relatively more plausible.

Agreed, phil. Your sentence here says it best. They are highly susceptible to corruption, as is our entire method of government, but at least in the states there is somewhat more of the accountability and transparency that the Fed system does not have to face every day.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:44 AM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
There were three (I believe) Op-ed pieces about CC in yesterdays Boulder Daily Camera.
Boulder DailyCamera.com Colorado, News, Business, Sports, Homes, Jobs, Cars and Information - Boulder Daily Camera
Click on "Opinion".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or