Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 06:35 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Workplace injury

It's called ESSENTIAL SERVICES. Healthcare is an essential service in every modern democracy except yours. Stop being so thickheaded.
Workplace injury is handled by Worker's Compensation, funded by employers.

The only reason the Canadian system survives, with its pathetic level of service, is those who can afford it drive 50 miles south and get treated in the US.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:31 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,069,942 times
This is what you think, but carry on.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:11 PM

1,013 posts, read 977,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
If your house catches fire and the fire dept puts it out, why should taxpayers bail YOU out? For every excuse someone gives against public insurance, I can give one for:

Traffic accident
Sudden illness
Genetic disease
Workplace injury

It's called ESSENTIAL SERVICES. Healthcare is an essential service in every modern democracy except yours. Stop being so thickheaded.
The question is what amount of healthcare is essential? We can't afford unlimited healthcare for everyone. Other essential services are not unlimited. We'd all like a policeman at every corner and our own private fire dept but we can't afford it.
Are we ready to decide who gets what amount of healthcare?

Old 10-30-2016, 09:21 PM

1,013 posts, read 977,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
And it's because of capitalism that the US has the worst health system outcomes among the countries of the western world. Profits before people. No other health care system causes medical bankruptcy like our system does. Health care should be not for profit....period. That's why other countries do so much better.

You can't blame capitalism for problems in a system that doesn't follow any free market rules. There is no supply and demand. No direct interaction between consumer and provider. Huge amounts of government restrictions. Insurance is not just insurance, but also a prepaid service plan. Costs are shared by consumer, employer, and government.
And before you think "for profit" is the problem, take a good look at "non profit" hospitals and health care systems that make all the same financial decisions and charge patients the same amounts as for profit hospitals.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:32 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
If this nonsense passes the state of Colorado should be boycotted the way all the library's boycott North Carolina over the LGBT law. What a freaking disaster.... 10% additional payroll tax. I'm sure the illegals will get into the system too somehow. Doctor who created this crap should lose her license

Old 10-30-2016, 09:52 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,069,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
The question is what amount of healthcare is essential?
Whatever your doctor deems medically necessary to get you as close to a full recovery as possible. No more, no less. Healthcare isn't cheap and it only gets more expensive. The goal of universal health insurance is have healthy people who can be productive and happy and less of a health LIABILITY.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:38 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,166 times
The US spends 22% of GDP on health care. That is the largest portion of spending. It covers Medicaid and Medicare. Defense is 12%. Even if you cut defense by 25% and allocated that money to health care spending, you still would only cover a small fraction of the population. It would be a massive tax increase to have a single payer system across the board. The tax for CO Care would just be stupid and it won't pass.

Speaking of Canada...The Trudeau honeymoon might be in trouble. Funny how the economy is dependent on a healthy crude market. Also Canada and Euro countries get away with spending on fancy social programs because they dont spend jack on defense and depend on the US to bail them out.

Canada

Old 10-31-2016, 12:38 AM

93 posts, read 68,763 times
There is a reason America became the greatest nation the world has ever seen, its called Capitalism (not democracy like the media would have you believe).

So Democracy has had nothing to do with it? All the wage slaves who lived in dire poverty because they were not paid anything except poverty wages, or the slaves who labored for free on plantations against their will, while the capitalist or slaveholding masters lived in luxury off of their labor, working eighty hours a week for those nice plantation homes or those gilded mansions had absolutely nothing to do with? No, it was all capitalism and its glory of buy low/sell high and how Donald Trump screwed his sub-contractors

"Stupid us, because my great great great great grandpappy and grandmammy came over here illegally lets just give illegals everything for FREE..."

So it's ok for you and yours to come over here for free without legal documentation, but not for anyone else?

Worst proposed law I have seen in my lifetime.

I am not sure what your health insurance situation is, but I am sure that you would not say this if it saves you money. The trouble is that it also insurers everyone else (excluding those on Medicare, etc), and people do not like that, though I do not see too many on Medicare who want to return to private insurance and high deductibles. If you are on Medicare and want to do this, I say go ahead.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:43 AM

Please tell me, if this law is not solvent in the future what safeguards are put in place to prevent my taxes going up even further? A simple question you have previously failed to answer.

For one, ColoradoCare will replace the health care premiums and deductibles, which are simply a tax by another name. I do not know what health insurance you have, but the tax of ColoradoCare will never be as much as the premiums and deductibles you pay now. Secondly, with ColoradoCare, you get to vote for whatever raises ColoradoCare must institute along the way. In other words, ColoradoCare has to put it to a vote. Insurance companies do not have to do this. They just crank them up when the spirit moves them.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:52 AM

"Also Canada and Euro countries get away with spending on fancy social programs because they dont spend jack on defense and depend on the US to bail them out."

Exactly what is the US bailing them out of? Are you suggesting that these countries should impoverish their population, throw them out into the streets, in order to buy more bombs, planes, ships, and tanks, and a fancy nuclear arsenal. The US has such an arsenal, half of which is probably not needed, because we have an amazing welfare program called the military-industrial establishment (that Eisenhower warned us about), that successfully pays off Congress for our tax dollars to keep building up our arsenal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado