U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 09:52 PM

9 posts, read 7,337 times

Advertisements

My family and i live in Phoenix Arizona. We are looking to move for colder weather. We are looking for a nice small mountain town but not to far away from shopping. My wife is a 20 year elementary school teacher and i own my own carpet cleaning business. My wife would need a teaching job at a school and i would need a town where i could stay busy with my carpet cleaning business or be able to travel to a good size town not to far away to be able to work. We have 2 kids one is 13 and the other is 14 so hopefully we could find a nice town where Our kids wont be bored. We are going to take a trip to Colorado next week to check out some towns. Does anyone have some suggestions on what towns we should check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 10:29 PM

4,875 posts, read 9,619,939 times
What size is "small" to you?

Define "not too far away from shopping"?

What kinds of activities do your kids like to do?

Old 04-12-2016, 11:16 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,991,054 times
If you are driving, perhaps you could look at Bayfield, Pagosa Springs, Del Norte, Salida, Canon City, Woodland Park, Manitou Springs, then maybe Evergreen / Conifer, Golden, Eagle, Glenwood Springs, Rifle and Montrose. If you had enough time. Or pick a couple. If you are flying to Denver or Colorado Springs then driving, the order would be different. Depending on your answers to DOH's questions you might eliminate half or more of these possibilities. Probably better to spend time on just a few but this is one list you can pick from. Your housing budget is another criteria that will affect your choice.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-13-2016 at 09:09 AM..

Old 04-13-2016, 06:59 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,199,644 times
two primary criteria will determine "where" in Colorado you may have the opportunity you seek:

1) teaching job market for your wife. I'd suggest your selection of places to visit start with a serious inquiry into where she might find employment. Consider that many of the jobs will have lots of qualified competition.

2) your price range of housing; ie, how much money are you bringing to Colorado for your move? Tourist oriented towns will be your primary market for your cleaning biz, but these are not priced towards the support people. You'll need to be in the outlying areas where the "worker bees" live unless you've got a lot of money to put into housing when you arrive. The dichotomy here is that the "affordable" small towns for housing will be some distance away from your business clients.

As well, keep in mind that there's a huge amount of competition in what you do ... and there's folks established here already that have cornered the low cost end of the marketplace with cheap labor in the service sector.

In all candor: unless you've got a location with job prospects lined up for your wife's employment, I'd save your time and travel expenses for the day when you've got an area to investigate.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:48 AM

11,053 posts, read 12,403,387 times
Ouray

Old 04-13-2016, 09:15 AM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
We actually right now are in the hiring season for the next school year, which starts in mid-August in most areas here in COLO.

Colorado Springs has excellent schools and enough population to keep a carpet cleaning business active. We're at the foot of Pikes Peak, have milder weather than Denver and much more affordable housing prices. IMO you don't want to live in the high mountain areas, too much snow, too few carpets to clean and not sure about the school systems up there. Good school districts in COLO SPGS to check out are D38, D20, D12, D11, D8 but not sure about D49 as far as teaching jobs. We have many threads in the forums on teaching jobs, COLO certification, etc, and these can be found quickly with our search tool and/or the Index of Key Threads.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:31 AM

603 posts, read 733,002 times
Woodland Park or some of the smaller towns along Ute Pass (Cascade, Green Mountain Falls) might be a possibility due to it's proximity to the larger metro area of the Springs. Shopping is accessible and your wife could have a better chance of finding a teaching opening in Colorado Springs than in a small town. It would make more sense for your carpet business as well.

I work as a real estate appraiser so I go through a lot of homes, I can tell you that in the more mountainous areas carpet is not the flooring of choice, most people prefer hardwood or tile floors for the ease of maintenance as well as the look. Out of every 10 mountain homes I walk through probably only three have carpeting.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:12 PM

9 posts, read 7,337 times
We will be driving up from Arizona. We will be in Colorado for 4 days so we would like to check out some towns. I guess our best choice for a town would be medium size so my wife can find work as a school teacher. She has been teaching 20 years and has a masters in early education and a masters in counseling. My wife is looking for a kindergarten job in a good school district. I would like to be able to clean carpets in whatever town we move to but dont mind traveling for work. Just looking for a nice town and nice weather for my family. Please let me know what towns to check out.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:14 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,991,054 times
In 4 days you could do a completely surface, fast drive-by a bunch of places or you could give a modest depth look at maybe 1-3 places. If you are now thinking "medium size", I'd probably focus on Canon City, Woodland Park and Evergreen / Conifer and Montrose. You may need to do a ton more research and followup trips, unless you are a quick decider and fall for a place... and make it work on employment front.

You say you are looking for colder weather. Are you willing to accept 50 inches of snow a year or closer to 100? If not willing to accept near 100 stay out of Woodland Park and Evergreen / Conifer. If not willing to deal with 50 inches stay out of Colorado expect for a few spots like Montrose and maybe Canon City.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-13-2016 at 05:24 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 05:16 PM

15,147 posts, read 12,008,996 times
Small mt town...Salida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or