Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 04:14 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,100,955 times

Advertisements

Google has been in Boulder since 2006. They broke ground on their three-building 330,000 sf campus last year.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Colorado filled up decades ago. May of us long term residents were forced out in 1970's due to property valuation increases leading to unsustainable property tax rates.

Neighboring states do not have any screaming bargains, and KS and NE are very high tax burden states.

Sure, CO is busting at the seams, and has very strained resources. But.... That is not stopping people from coming. Look at other desireable regions. They do not implode. People are willing to pay the price of admission.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:39 PM

8,373 posts, read 8,589,909 times
My understanding is the new Google campus is intended to accommodate 5-6 times as many employees as they had before. 300 to 1500-1800. I don't know how far along they are on that expansion.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:43 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,559,358 times
By 2050, the front range will have roughly 10 million people.

Front Range - America 2050

Old 04-30-2016, 03:36 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,884,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan View Post
Are people expected to start spilling over into the neighboring states? Kansas, Nebraska, etc? What are the forecasts on that? I'm curious since property values are so high already in CO and only seem to be getting higher. Surely at some point people will start leaving for the lower cost of living of the neighboring states... Right?

One word: water. Non-Westerners don't have the slightest idea of the severe water crisis Colorado and the rest of the West is facing. We have a couple of good winters with average snowpack and everyone runs around all smiley faced that the water problem has been "solved" or that it never was a real problem at all. I guess no one has gotten around to telling the good news to Lake Powell (THE water source for the West and which deeply impacts Colorado's water supply because of downstream compacts draining Glen Canyon. During WY 2016, water storage at Powell has fallen by 1,392,619 AF and total outflows have exceeded total inflows by 1,382,115 AF. And even when annual precip in the mountains is close to the standard average of days past, the ambient temperatures are not. Each year it's been getting warmer and greater warmth means more water evaporating off into the sky and not obediently running down to the nearest damn to pool up and give us a little something extra to get through dry periods.

Other than that, I would imagine that as long as employers with good and plentiful jobs continue to arrive, people looking for work in a desirable location such as Denver would keep arriving, as well. Eventually a bust will follow the current boom since what goes up must also go down. I've watched Colorado Springs go through a number of boom/bust cycles all my life. Denver has had such cycles as well, but usually they're less dramatic and easier to ride out. Right now the downturn in the extractive energy industry has hit rural Colorado hard. In the Four Corners, real estate has been losing value as workers are laid off or transferred to other states. As usual, Durango seems to be faring better than other towns around here, but places like Cortez have taken a real hit. This time the energy slump doesn't seem to have been much of a problem for Denver, but I can remember when the great shale oil bust of the 80's came along and even Denver was hard hit by that. The coming elections could possibly have an adverse impact on the urban centers of the Front Range since a lot of private defense industry work along with various federal government activities is located there. But that's only if Bernie Sanders wins. Otherwise, every other faction longs only for bombs and more bombs. Of course the powers that be may be considering out-sourcing the US military industrial complex to Syria to save time and money, but I'd worry about that when it happens.

My advice? Buy water rights to the Ogallala Reservoir and hold on to them as long as possible. Only sell when it's nothing but densely packed sub-divisions all the way from Cortez to Sterling. You can then retire to a nice off shore type spot in the Bahamas and worry no more about finding a tiny house to lease in the SLV for $6 million/month, water rights not included.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:02 AM

7,120 posts, read 9,185,840 times
Colorado full? Hardly.

As other posters have noted, the key requirement for additional development is water.

Colorado Springs has just turned on the new Southern Delivery System, a ratepayer funded tribute to the developers that will provide sufficient water sucked from the Pueblo Reservoir for many years. Read about it here: Home

Our water will not be cheap, but it is available.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:09 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,764,657 times
I forget "Colorado" means the front range. Here in the other Colorado we're doing fine.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:30 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,884,708 times
^^^

Shhhhhh! Don't spoil it by letting our secret out. As everyone knows, Colorado ends at the Summit County line. Anywhere else is actually Utah or Wyoming or possibly Montana. Everyone! The only housing in Colorado is in Denver with maybe a few studio apartments in the Springs. Don't venture out anywhere else. There are mountain lions in the Montana part of Colorado. I've seen them with my very own eyes!

Old 04-30-2016, 08:48 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,671,558 times
Quote:
My advice? Buy water rights to the Ogallala Reservoir and hold on to them as long as possible. Only sell when it's nothing but densely packed sub-divisions all the way from Cortez to Sterling. You can then retire to a nice off shore type spot in the Bahamas and worry no more about finding a tiny house to lease in the SLV for $6 million/month, water rights not included.
For those that don't understand Colorado Water Rights. They are bought and sold. A city may require 3 acre feet of water rights every acre of housing. If you are the developer, you have to buy water rights from the irrigation sysem and use them on the land you are developing.

The holders of water rights, have to own land that they can be used on. You cannot just buy water rights and hold them without owning land for the water rights to be used on, with the exception of buying them to turn them over to the city as your water donation to develop.

Thirty five years ago, I bought an older home on the west side of Loveland Co. When I got the paperwork I found there was one acre feet of water rights from an irrigation ditch. I found from the water company, that it was the only lot in town that still owned water rights for irrigation. I called a Realtor friend that was buying water rights for a new development, and sold it for $2,200. Usually the paperwork has to be prepared by an attorney, but in this case the water company offered to write the paperwork for me, so they could get having to keep a ditch to that property. I got the papers, took them to my friend and picked up the check. The water rights were worth 10% of the value of the entire property with a home on it at that time. I sold the home within 24 hours of getting it under contract for a nice profit to an investor, and that $2,200 was a nice additional bonus. I bought the home for $1,000 personal note as earnest money, and never had to put up one dime to make a profit on the house, and the money for the water rights.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:00 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,450,749 times
PPL are commuting from Loveland even Windsor to the Denver Metro. Its only going to get worse. Factor in the boomers retiring here....property values will sky rocket, everything will be overcrowded, but the ultra left will love it and try to steel money for social programs. The people that make the money that supports everything...some will leave so they get more for their dollar when they realize it will be easier just to take a week of vaca to ski vs battling the crowds on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado