U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 912 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My husband, our 3 year old twins and I are looking to move to Colorado soon from Houston. We are interested in the front range area, great school, low crime, lots of outdoor activies (hiking, horseback riding, skiing). My husband is semi-retired (can work from anywhere), and we are in our 40's and 50's.
We like a more treed area vs open plains, however for the right community that'd be okay.
We want to stay under $650,000 for a home. I like the idea of a smaller town with good schools, however we like Fort Collins and Colorado Springs too.

Any thoughts on Monument, Castle Rock, Evergreen, Manitou Springs, Golden, and Arveda etc?

Any thoughts on the landslides in the Broadmoor area of Colorado Springs?

Any ideas, thoughts and assistance would be much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 12:12 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,993,771 times
If you want to be in the natural forest above the plains, you need to be willing to accept a heavier winter (80 to 100 plus inches of snow / yr). Evergreen is lush green, good schools. Golden or above it could work too though it is generally not as lush. Both have a bit of head start to the high mountains compared to places lower and further to the east.

Manitou Springs is a liberal small town adjacent to a pretty big (conservative) city. The combination may be appealing. Older housing stock. Manitou will get and hold snow more than down lower. Monument, however, gets a surprisingly amount of snow despite being out of the mountains because of a bit of elevation gain as the storms move from the north from Denver towards Colorado Springs. Castle Rock's separation from Denver is a feature some seek, while the drive is a growing hassle if you want to be in Denver a lot for work, shopping, entertainment. The areas on the west side of Fort Collins and Loveland are nice too and if you don't go too far up the winter is relatively mild for the region.

You have a good list of candidates and your budget will give you options in any, though what it buys may be somewhat less than in Texas. Read more threads, visit for 5 plus days and you'll find one or more places you'll like. A lot comes down to preferences for size of city and nearness to big city, how much land you want, etc. If you haven't lived in a small city or town, think about it carefully. Lots of people don't realize how much convenience / choice they lose when they go below 50,000 or 20,000 or down to 5,000. Some like the tradeoffs enough, some don't.

I know what I wrote is pretty thin and may not contain a lot of news. If you want more specifics, you may have to ask some additional questions. Past threads will yield some details if you are willing to skim through them.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-02-2016 at 12:56 PM..

Old 05-02-2016, 12:31 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,884,118 times
If you have not lived anywhere but Houston (or Texas for that matter), Colorado will be a huge adjustment.

Colorado doesn't do small towns that much. Most of the population is in the urban corridor that runs from Ft. Collins to Colorado Springs. Golden, Arvada, Castle Rock and even the Broadmoor area are all just suburban parts connected to the larger city.

Trees need water and water is found mostly in the form of snow in the mountains/higher elevations. Are you ready for a winter that starts in October and extends into April. My good friend in Evergreen just posted pictures of the deep snow they still have up there. Monument and Manitou Springs will have similar climates.

Best place, in my estimation would be eithe Monument or Academy Dist. 20 area north of C. Spgs.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:39 PM

397 posts, read 588,824 times
Moving to Co with Little Kids-evergreen-may-2-2016-snow.jpg

Out of the places you mentioned, I think Evergreen would fit the brief depiction of what you want for your family. It is located approx. 40 minutes west of downtown Denver in the foothills. The public schools are highly rated from elementary through high school which is great for families. Plenty of options for horseback riding, hiking, and cross country skiing throughout Evergreen and you'd be well on your way to the major ski areas such as Loveland, Breck, A-Basin, Keystone, Copper, and Winter Park. It's a great community to raise a family. Most people are transplants from other parts of the country (and even world) and that makes it easy to meet people and settle in.

We do get some more snow than some other areas that you mentioned, but I have attached a picture to show what our snow is like as of 5:00 p.m. this afternoon after snow fell here for the past three days. It was a spring snow so it didn't stick to the pavement while it was coming down, but it's almost non-existent now. Unless you live at the top of one of our mountains (such as Bear Mountain) at 10,000 ft and face totally north, the snow does melt quickly. Most Evergreen residents live at about 8,000 ft and get plenty of sun throughout the day so the snow doesn't stick around too long. We did have 41" inches over one weekend two weeks ago and by Thursday of that week, it was totally melted. The last time we had a snowfall like that was April 2009.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,732,014 times
I would suggest Colorado Springs or slightly west of there.
Denver traffic headed to the mtns, spewing thier brown cloud is not a favorable route or destination.

If your husband works from home.... Why not go to another income tax free state, or a USA protectorate? Skiing is a bit of a journey from most USA protectorates, you might need to take up scuba

Consider a state with more water and less growing pains. Out of the 5, there are plenty. Each with plenty of space and recreation.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:43 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,079,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinmamma View Post
Hello!
My husband, our 3 year old twins and I are looking to move to Colorado soon from Houston. We are interested in the front range area, great school, low crime, lots of outdoor activities (hiking, horseback riding, skiing). My husband is semi-retired (can work from anywhere), and we are in our 40's and 50's.
We like a more treed area vs open plains, however for the right community that'd be okay.
We want to stay under $650,000 for a home. I like the idea of a smaller town with good schools, however we like Fort Collins and Colorado Springs too.
Good schools, low crime, outdoors activities are accessible in most front range cities. What else do you want? dining, theater, higher education, spectator sports, etc...

Bringing your own horses with you? That will make a considerable difference on where you should be looking or the price range your dealing with.

Like davidv said, we typically don't have commuter towns around our metro areas like you may be familiar with in Houston. There are some, but most are not distinctly different than the metro areas they adjoin.

There are numerous topics like this in the Colo Spgs and Ft Collins sub forums. You might do some browsing or topic searches in those sub-forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinmamma View Post
Any thoughts on Monument, Castle Rock, Evergreen, Manitou Springs, Golden, and Arvada etc?

Any thoughts on the landslides in the Broadmoor area of Colorado Springs?

Any ideas, thoughts and assistance would be much appreciated!!!
Those are some of the more distinctively different towns adjoining or close to metro areas. Again, do some searches on them in this forum and you can uncover a lot of opinions. All are pretty neat in their own right but come with their own list of nice features, interesting quirks, and intolerable issues.

Thoughts on the landslides...due diligence. Unless you buy in a city core that was stable 100+ years ago, odds are nearly any place in Colorado has expanded to and been built on in the last 50-75 years on a place that could have abandoned mines, radioactive material, seismic subsidence, mining subsidence, landslide potential, seasonal dry wells, subterranean water table issues, expansive soils, sandy soils, radon problems, termites, and a host of other potentially house wrecking items. If you have a question, ask it of your real estate agent and insist they get you an answer while doing some high level checking yourself. Things agents are not obligated to tell you about in most areas could be any of the above plus meth history, paranormal activity, murder or other mayhem, etc. If with all of that you find a place that fills all your dreams, make sure you speak with an insurance agent about if you can get and what costs may be associated for coverage for tornado damage, flood damage, hail damage, sewer back ups, landslides, subsidence issues or any other disaster riders they may offer and decide if you can live in such an environment with such coverage.

BTW, we don't too much trouble with space debris falling out of the sky typically, so there is one thing to not worry too much about.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:27 PM

9 posts, read 5,655 times
Evergreen is a good option: great schools, small community, easy access to Denver although your budget may be a bit low if you are looking for a finished home. Good luck!

Old 07-27-2016, 01:05 AM

4 posts, read 3,977 times
Rye is a very small mountain town that sits in the San Isabel National Forest.

I do not live here but I pass by it often. I go hiking on the trails past Rye and I am planing on living year round in a small cabin with lots of acres 45 min up in the mtns from Rye.

I imagine it has low crime but than again, I did work in Chicago as an EMT. Anything compared to that is good living!

It is about an hour away from Pueblo. Pueblo has crime. I am going to CSU Pueblo for my RN. I live 5 min from campus. It's small & in the middle of a cornfield. However, police make their presence known, which believe me, is not to be a "dog & pony show".

I am 34. If I had kids, I would send my kids to a private school if I lived in Pueblo. Just about every firefighter, nurse, paramedic I have worked with in Chicago sent their kids to private schools. Look at the crime rate in Chicago. I imagine Denver is the same way.The higher the crime, the worse the public schools are. They all advised me to "Get out". I got out while the gettin was good!

You will see drifters along the exit from I-25 South to Colorado City/Rye. They are just looking for a ride south and some water. I have given them water and food and they are very nice. Besides, them hiking up to Rye would be physically exhausting based on the physical condition they are in.

Rye is tucked away. I trust small towns. They look out for one another. They are not without problems. Show me a town/city/state/township/village/district...etc. that doesn't have problems.

I know nothing of the schools in Rye.

Good luck!

Old 07-27-2016, 07:24 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,079,489 times
The OP has never logged back in since posting her question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado