U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 01:21 PM

13,947 posts, read 20,196,196 times

Advertisements

Wind swept.
No water.
No utilities.
No cell phone service.
No use.

No value.
People who don't live in Colorado just cannot comprehend that land can be worthless and unusable.

This land would be very valuable if it got 30+ inches of rain a year. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 02:50 PM

2,591 posts, read 5,986,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Wind swept.
No water.
No utilities.
No cell phone service.
No use.

No value.
People who don't live in Colorado just cannot comprehend that land can be worthless and unusable.

This land would be very valuable if it got 30+ inches of rain a year. LOL
I'd say don't rain on her parade, but probably more helpful if you do.

Last edited by suzco; 05-11-2016 at 02:59 PM..

Old 05-11-2016, 03:54 PM

3,049 posts, read 2,077,790 times
You have to figure in the 150 years Colorado has been populated by agriculture minded persons, parcels selling at less than $12k for 5 acres aren't necessarily viewed as highly productive farm lands, they would priced accordingly.

I think sometimes for persons not living in Colorado for more than a few months, they have trouble comprehending how seriously dry it can be here.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:05 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,966,743 times
Water Rights are Key to doing anything in Colorado. You cannot even capture snow melt without water rights.
So, as long as you understand that, and your plan does not require year-round water available, then you can do whatever you want with the property.

Enjoy it.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:52 PM

4 posts, read 3,902 times
Default Illegal Camping On Your Own Property in Park County, Colorado

Yep, looks like it will be illegal for owners of even larger properties (many R20 and R35 lots being more than 35 acres, smaller lots in other zones included in the list) to camp on their own vacant properties more than 14 days without a permit--up to 30 days with permit (posted at the property entrance for NIMBY neighbors to be alerted) and property owner permission for general access for County officials to the lot.

http://co-parkcounty2.civicplus.com/...506?fileID=662

If a property owner there doesn't have a house with a certificate of occupation, the owner isn't established. As for smaller lots, getting a water well drilling permit for a very small lot can be difficult or impossible. Permits for septic systems for small lots can also be very difficult to obtain.

For people with larger lots, a hefty impact fee for the local fire department (Hartsel Fire area), stamped, engineered plans for a septic system (engineering fees), engineered plans for a house and/or other buildings (engineering fees), building permit, driveway permit, etc., one can get started with building to the International Residential Code, International Electrical Code, International Mechanical Code and International Plumbing Code (some of those permits with the County, others with the State).

Land Use Regulations | Park County, CO
(new regulations to be added very soon, including the camping regulation)

It appears that tourists and marijuana growing and selling establishments are quite welcome, though.

Have fun. Enjoy the rest of the economic slide, defaults and repudiations of debt.

Last edited by desolation; 05-19-2016 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 05-20-2016, 04:46 PM

386 posts, read 552,145 times
Park county is fairly large and some of the rules are of course in response to problems that have happened in the more populated areas on the 285 corridor. You have land in one of the more remote areas in PC.

Some things to consider.. this could all be bad info so keep that in mind.

It looks like where you are at was/is a subdivision. I am guessing here but doesnt that mean the plot was initially surveyed to allow for a well and septic?

In about 2000, Park County changed the rules for the distance between a well and septic from 100 feet to 200 feet. If have land in an old subdivision, there may not be room for the new rule distances and I dont know if you are screwed on not.. maybe some sort of grandfather thing comes to play. If you dont have neighbors yet, you might get in there first with a well and septic - then they have the problems with the 200 foot rule.

You cant park an old trailer out there and leave it by the rules. This is overall a good thing as if there wasnt a rule, that area would have all sorts of trashed old trailers turning off new buyers from coming there. On the other hand, if its a remote area, someone needs to complain about your old permanent trailer for you to have a problem. But you will always have the risk that eventually you would have to get rid of it. Maybe some prick buys a lot fairly close by and doesnt like you not legal structure and can cause you trouble.

Rules for septic.. imagine a lot of people living in area like that without any control over where they leave their poop. You would have to worry about disease after a while - and why there are rules.. But if its remote, you are responsible (like you composting toilet idea) and no one complains, you probably can get away with it.

If you invest in some sort of structure on the property that is not legal, you wont get your money back when you sell. In order for some new owner to get a loan to purchase, they have to get insurance. No legal structure, no insurance, no loan. Buyer has to come in with cash and this greatly reduces the number of people who can buy the property - which also reduces the value.

Have you paid property tax yet? The tax rate for undeveloped land can be higher than for developed land. Hope whatever your paying is reasonable.

My 0.2.. If you invest in building something out there, make it a legal structure. If not, you may be able to use it yourself.. but if you sell.. you going to pretty much lose the money you invested in the structure, it may even be a liability (ie, buyer wants a discount to pay for removing whatever you left there). Get a travel trailer, go enjoy the place for the summer. Park County is a great place. At the end of the summer, take your travel trailer home with you.

Hope you also dont think land prices are going up out there especially if there are no legal structures at all in the area. You got a "good deal" but your also likely to have to give someone else a good deal to get rid of it.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:58 PM

4 posts, read 3,902 times
Default Low Temperatures in Park County ("-51F")

Here's a recent low temperature recorded in the same area in Park County. Other extreme lows for the area are shown in the table down the page.

Colorado Weather Station Hits -51F, Ties One Of Coldest Temperatures Ever Recorded
Colorado Weather Station Hits -51F, Ties One Of Coldest Temperatures Ever Recorded CBS Denver

Temperatures go down into the minus-30s every winter. Extreme winter conditions often extend into March or April.

Winds in the area go to 110 mph gusts in the winter, spraying ice from the nearby peaks, closing Hwy. 285 at times and more often making roads in nearby, mostly vacant developments impassable. Buildings are required to be built to 110 mph wind loads, and snow loads, 50 psf. County claims frost depths of up to 10 feet.

Looks really scenic in summer, though, during special times of calm winds (except for the extremely short, sparse growth of plants due to semi-arid/arctic conditions. Precipitation on the hard packed, sterile soil is maybe around 12 inches per year, give or take, but the dry winds evaporate it immediately during the very few warm months.

With the regulations, fees and balkanized socio-political environment, it's much like a New York and New Jersey colony on Mars. ;-)

Old 08-19-2016, 01:56 PM

18 posts, read 18,250 times
I was looking into property in the same area as a retreat to just be left alone and work. It didn't seem like there were a lot of regulations/restriction, the summers are cool and I am assuming between the wind, elevation and dryness that mosquitoes are not a huge issue. I don't like this push to restrict use though, how bad are they really getting with that stuff? Are mosquitoes/ticks a nuisance in this area? Thanks to everyone for the helpful information so far. Sounds like there are quite a few drawbacks, but between the crime, heat, mosquitoes and humidity, anything is better than summers in St. Louis. I'm hoping this was my last one.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:27 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,527,350 times
A greenhouse in Park County at 10000 feet on a waterless exposed plain?

Hahahaha..... Funny stuff. The wind will have that knocked flat in no time at all.

I'm a freedom and liberty person but along with it goes responsibility. And with irresponsibility is one way we end up with more big government and why counties like Park County keep adding regulations. And it's thanks to these people buying junk land and leaving behind their harebrained half finished projects like greenhouses, campers and other junk and garbage everywhere. It's an eyesore and no doubt a growing one due to pot smokers flooding into the state.

I can't really call these cheap land deals scams because all the information is out there, I just think that people choose to ignore it and project their own dream like fantasies onto it.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:21 AM

14,499 posts, read 22,341,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylissa View Post
will not post here again because like always naysayers are very lame and not worth my time.
Quote:
bump (you cant troll me)

bump
Quote:
... thank you to the haters naysayers and trolls of the world you make it go around, and so do i, the lonely dreamer with dreams you can not comprehend.

Quote:
que media references which i dont know about because i give literally zero ****s

Hmmm. Wish we had a sticky in the Colorado subforum labeled "Moving to Colorado on the cheap sight unseen and don't lecture me because even though I'm asking y'all for help, I'm smarter than you and more sophisticated than you".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or