U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2016, 10:56 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,225,726 times

Advertisements

My daughter got a speeding ticket for going 70 in a 55 zone last week (4 points), in Douglas County. No one in the family has ever had a speeding ticket, so we are clueless about the process. I know that each jurisdiction has different rules, so I am wanting to know specifics about Douglas County.

She can pay the ticket in the mail and automatically be reduced to 2 points. Or she can go to court. She does not plan to protest the ticket or fine, but it would be nice if the points to be eliminated altogether. Is this even possible? It would be good to not have points on her record, or risk insurance rates going up. She has a clean driving record, and was driving a rental car that she was not used to. So questions...

1) If she just accepts the 2 points and pays the fine online, is it likely her insurance rates will go up?

2) Is it worth going to court - is it likely the points will get reduced below 2?

3) If she does decide to go to court, how does it work exactly?

4) If she decided to go to court, could I attend a session to just watch beforehand so we know what to expect?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 12:01 PM

14,498 posts, read 22,347,982 times
Could she offer to go to a traffic/safe driving school for about 2 to 4 hours and take a deferred?

Good to avoid the 2 points if possible.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:02 PM

4,325 posts, read 1,788,290 times
Personally I would just pay the fine and move on. Speeding is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things as long as no one was hurt. Going to court may get the points reduced to zero but its a major headache and time sink. Just paying the fine is the way to go lesson learned so to speak.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:11 PM

4,876 posts, read 9,622,106 times
Sorry I don't have knowledge of Douglas County courts, but I have worked in other jurisdictions. I suggest that you call the court clerk in Douglas County and ask her/him to explain the process. Usually what happens is that you can go to court and request to meet with the prosecuting attorney to try to work out a deal reducing the number of points or the amount of the fine.

Yes, you can attend a court session. It may be a good way for you and your daughter to see the process in advance. You can ask the court clerk when traffic court is held.

BTW, it is good to be repentant, but don't use the excuse that she was driving an unfamiliar car. Every car has an easy to read speedometer and the driver is expected to be in control.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:51 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,390,553 times
Can someone elaborate on "points"? I never heard that term in my previous state of over 40 years residence. I can't wait to hear what this is about. Isn't it enough to get a ticket, have it on one's record, and shell out money for it? Why "points" as well? Sounds like a weird gimmick to instill fear and make life more complicated.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 05-09-2016 at 02:03 PM..

Old 05-09-2016, 03:09 PM

6,905 posts, read 6,501,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
Can someone elaborate on "points"? I never heard that term in my previous state of over 40 years residence. I can't wait to hear what this is about. Isn't it enough to get a ticket, have it on one's record, and shell out money for it? Why "points" as well? Sounds like a weird gimmick to instill fear and make life more complicated.
Basically you are allowed a certain amount of points before you lose your license (I think it's 16 for adults). Different infractions count for different amounts of points depending on severity. Points stay on your license for a certain amount of time and them disappear.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:15 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,967,807 times
She can go to court, and speak with the city/county attorney. On first offense, with no prior offenses, they will usually offer a reduced offense to a non-moving violation, usually even with no points. You plead guilty to that, pay the fine, and move on.

That is usually a one time offer. Next time you get points.

This option will usually cost you two-three hours of your day, and around 100 dollars or so. If she's generally a safe driver, and seldom speeding, may be worth just mailing in the fine and taking the 2 points. Insurance shouldn't be affected by a single violation.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:26 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,208,400 times
Points are specified by the state for various traffic offenses. The county does not have the ability to vary the points.

So when they offer a "2 pt" deal by mail where you admit guilt without having to go to trial, what they are effectively doing is agreeing to a plea bargain to a lesser speeding charge than the ticket cited which carries a 4 pt designation.

As others have observed, it may be worthwhile to contact the county attorney's office and inquire about a "plea bargain" for an otherwise good driving record driver to a lesser charge which carries no points but still has a modest fine. Such a charge might be "driving with an obstructed windshield" which carries no points. The system functions on the discretion of the attorney's office as long as the court goes along with the offered plea bargain.

Depending upon the attorney's office, the judge involved, and any mitigating (for or against) factor noted by the citing officer, this matter might be resolved with a minimal adverse outcome of time and money. The attorney's office has an interest in minimizing their court time for non-accident traffic tickets so may work with you. But keep in mind that they may just as easily stick to the current offer of a 2-pt plea bargain charge as the "best they can do".

Unless your daughter has reasonable cause to believe that she wasn't speeding per the citation and has the basis to prove it in court which will take time and money to contest the ticket with no guarantee of a dismissal, the most time and cost effective option is to try to get that plea bargain reduction. If not available, then the 2 pt offer is the next best option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or