U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2016, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 490 times

Advertisements

I would like to move to Grand Junction to be near family. My sister and brother-in-law, who live in Glenwood Springs, will be retiring there in 2 years. Do any of you know what resources there are for seniors looking for work and a place to live in GJ?

I live in Oakland CA currently and everything here is very expensive and getting more so all the time. We've had a hiring freeze for the last 8 years where I work so no salary raises or even cost of living raises since 2008. Housing (rental prices) have gone through the roof. Every couple of years, I move to a house with more and more roommates in order to keep my rent about the same. I currently live with 5 other people.

At 67 years old, I want to be near my sister who is my only living relative and she is definitely moving to GJ. I would love to hear if any of you have suggestions for making the transition as successful as possible.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 10:41 PM

3,797 posts, read 3,987,784 times
Hi. There are some resources here grand junction senior income assisted housing - Google Search

It might be useful to talk to one or more of these contacts https://humanservices.mesacounty.us/...-on-aging.aspx
including the workforce center.

Here is another employment program Senior Community Services Employment Program - Grand Junction - - Northwest Colorado Council of Governments, Colorado
Even if it isn't what works for you, they should be able to help you identify what other resources and options are out there. One thought worth keeping in mind is that senior services need employees to run. For some to many of the jobs being a senior could be a plus. So contacts inquiring about services could turn into an employment inquiry too.

Might be some leads for housing, employment, activities and assistance in this local targetted seniors newspaper Welcome to the BEACON Senior Newspaper | The Beacon The Beacon

Talk to people and ask them for ideas and contacts. The more you ask, the more likely it is you find what you want and need. Good luck.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-11-2016 at 11:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado