U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 09:39 AM

18 posts, read 44,904 times

Advertisements

The significant 0ther has expressed the desire to move to Colorado and we are in the process of trying to decide where we are going and looking at practical issues now before we get there. I will be selling my florida house and expect to get about 70k maybe a little more after all the expenses that go along with selling a house. I think that for that we're looking at a couple of acres and a manufactured home, unless we get an additional small mortgage to get us where we could think about a existing house or even a kit house like an A frame or some such. I hope we get land with utilities and water/sewer but of course outside a city we may get septic and a well too...I know sometimes those can be an adventure all by itself.

I have been watching Zillow for real estate listings but as we well know not everything is going to be there and some of the lower priced offerings probably sell local word of mouth and the sellers aren't paying for listings. The place doesn't have to be the taj mahal but I don't want to live in an economically depressed neighborhood with all the attendant issues that brings either. We know it will be rural but I don't want to be so far out of a city that we can't get cell phone and broadband internet service or an ambulance if we need one. I am not used to the snow and ice and I don't want to be someplace they never plow the roads and we could get trapped in the house during nasty weather. I know the weather is going to be culture shock for me at the first heavy snow, I was born in Florida we just get the occasional long cold no snow unless it's a real freak weather front. I've had Trinidad suggested to me and I've been looking at Alamosa area.

I will have a small pension (which appears to be exempt from taxes because it's under 20k) which I know isn't going to cover all our expenses for sure. The bf has been an over the road trucker for years with a perfect driving record so I suspect jobs won't be tough for him but I will probably end up getting something part time as well. We are not younguns for sure, at 50+ jobs become a bit hard to find in most areas and I'll have to go to paralegal school in Colorado to be able to work in the area I have been in for 30 years. Are there a lot of chain stores like walmart in outlaying areas? I am curious about stuff like typical utility bills in the summer and winter, food costs, price of gas, property and other taxes you can't get around and of course things like maintenance on the vehicles and the house etc. One of the bigger culture shock items is probably going to be the state income tax for sure but from all I've read my pension is small enough to be left alone but jobs we get will probably be subject to it for sure. We are planning a trip out there sometime in 2017. I was in New Mexico in May back in 2005 and I thought the weather was great, and plane tickets tend to be cheaper in May from what I'm seeing. Denver is out but I would prefer to be central or eastern not north or west. I would love to hear from some folks that know south central or south east Colorado that can offer some information or suggestions. I love this forum, thanks in advance for answering my post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 09:54 AM

6,903 posts, read 6,494,653 times
Ummm you posted this same topic about 15 thread down the page.

Moving from Florida to Colorado in 2020, advice????

Old 05-23-2016, 10:06 AM

oopss sorry musta hit the button twice

Old 05-23-2016, 10:25 AM

thanks folks, the reason i can't come out yet is i'm digging out of debt now and wont have the available cash to save up for a bit and I want to be able to afford to do it right. What you said about mj being the big draw and housing prices hopping up because of that did cross my mind. I do plan on one trip a year at least. 2020 isn't set in stone, we could go another year or two if we have too but don't really want to. The feds talking about taking pot off the class one list will probably help with the legalization issues but I don't see that in the southeast at least not full legalization any time soon. Sounds like good advice to let the boom settle down, who knows if the state develops a good revenue center with pot the tax structure could be changing too. Job situation sounds like Florida low pay and not many but I bet they pay better than Flori-duh does.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:51 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,616,291 times
Well, Sue, you have plenty of time to read all the threads on this and any other forum you find out there.

Just wondering why you asked about south central and south eastern Colorado. Look at a map to see what's in those areas. Jobs are going to be located in the major cities along the Front Range -- Ft. Collins/Boulder/Denver/Colorado Springs/Pueblo plus Grand Junction. Absolutely nothing in south eastern Colorado (small old agricultural towns on the plains) and not much in south central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado