U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:24 PM

18 posts, read 44,904 times

Advertisements

The current plan is that me and the other will be selling my house in Florida and moving to Colorado. I spent a week in New Mexico in 2005 in May and I really liked the weather and the scenery and over all, almost everything I saw when I was there. The desert can be an unbelievably beautiful place when the cactus are in bloom. I drove just about everywhere but the Santa Fe, it was just too expensive there so I didn't stay long. I grew up in Florida, never lived anyplace else but I know I HAVE TO GET OUT OF HERE the people get dumber every day and the political scene (especially that moron we have for governor right now) just gets worse all the time.

After fifty six years here it is going to be time to go, it already is but if I don't stick it out I have to wait until 62 to get my meager pension. The BF has some health problems that would be helped by that awful plant everyone hates so much so he doesn't really care much where we live. I am looking at the south end of the state probably more east side than west side. Alamosa seems to be a place with some fairly priced housing around it (outside the city). I am planning a trip possibly mid to late 2017 for a week just to drive around and look at stuff, I know May is a beautiful month but what's a really good month to go to really get the feel for the place? (Cheap plane tickets also desirable) Heat with no humidity doesn't scare me, I'd much rather have 95F with under 10% humidity then same temp at 90+% humidity any old time. It's going to be us and my pit bull who will be getting up in his years by then. I've been doing some research to sort of get a feel for the political atmosphere and attitudes about things in Colorado, I figure if you're open minded enough to totally legalize that awful plant that there must be a very open minded political scene indeed. I know I'm going to have a couple of miserable years in store until my body becomes acclimated to the climate and altitude if we end up someplace that isn't flat as a pancake like Florida is, I'm also going to have to learn to drive in the snow and ice...now that is a little scary. If anyone here has lived in Florida before I'd love to hear a few comparison stories about what it's like to live in Colorado vs. Florida.

If you have a typical under 2000 sq ft house what sort of utility bills do you have? I'm sure you run heat more than AC or am I wrong? What does it cost for auto tags and required insurance in Colorado (are there mandated minimums for PI amounts etc.). Do rural homes typically end up with septic systems and wells or city water and sewer? We are pretty addicted to our broadband, are there areas that no one covers? Do you have any taxes besides personal income tax and sales taxes? I read pensions below a certain amount aren't taxed is that still so? Unless we end up in a manufactured house or a kit home (like an A frame) I think I'm going to have to get a small mortgage what are rates like and are mortgages easy or tough?

I'd appreciate any tiddbit of information so I can expand my research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 01:43 PM

179 posts, read 165,666 times
What is so awful about that plant, out of curiosity?

Old 05-13-2016, 03:09 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,984,910 times
Weed legalization happened because of organizing effort and probably voting margin provided by front range cities in particular. Most of Colorado away from the front range is moderate to conservative save for the resort towns.

Alamosa has some things going for it but be aware that on average it freezes at night 7 months of the year and then most of another 2. ALAMOSA SAN LUIS AP, COLORADO - Climate Summary I don't think humidity will be a problem. Gone by mid-morning or never shows up at all. With regard to temps, Alamosa average 2 days over 90 degrees for highs and 47 times when it gets below 0 at some point, night or even all day. 34 days / yr never get above freezing. One of the coldest spots in nation with mountains to east that stall the cold air.

A lot of folks advise to check out the winter but a first visit sometime between May and October is best to run around and see stuff. Maybe schedule a winter visit as trip #2, if you are still interested after trip one.

Alamosa does have a modest sized population and a small college. Salida is probably more "liberal" / "progressive" though. Trinidad is somewhat similar to Alamosa but a lot warmer. http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?co8429
24 days per yr over 90 degrees and only 5 below zero. Both places have fair large populations with challenges with poverty and substance abuse. But, then again , many places do. Salida is more pricey. Buena Vista might be a little cheaper. Canon City some to a lot cheaper.

For comparison stories about what it's like to live in Colorado vs. Florida, use the search tool- in Colorado forum with keyword Florida in the post.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-13-2016 at 03:27 PM..

Old 05-13-2016, 03:22 PM

18 posts, read 44,904 times
Thank you so much for that...and there is nothing awful about the plant unless you're 70+ years old and watched that stupid movie that blames pot for nearly every social problem from aggression to unwed mothers. Anyone that wants it should be able to get it people don't go home and beat the spouse and kick the dog after a joint, they do that after a few beers.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:14 PM

13,947 posts, read 20,190,335 times
In 2020, we are going to be filled up.
When Colorado fills up to capacity
Sorry.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:40 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,616,291 times
Sue, my advice is to spend the next four years doing research (like reading this forum) and visiting the state. A LOT of things can change in four years; heck, who knows what's going to happen after November. But that's for another forum.

You mentioned that you spent a week in New Mexico, but have never said why Colorado (except pot) and whether you've ever been to the state. You mentioned the south end of the state, east side. Is that because you think that area will be warmer with less snow?

Since you have four years, why not plan at least two or three visits a year, during all of the different seasons, and spend time driving around to different areas. Is there some reason why your first trip isn't planned until a year and a half from now?

It's way too soon to worry about things like utility bills, car registration, mortgage rates, etc.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:47 PM

22 posts, read 29,393 times
Please don't OP, this place has too many people as it is. If you come here you will just drive rents up even higher. Be warned that the jobs here are mostly low-paying, so if you do decide to move here make sure you have a good job lined up beforehand.

Your best bet is to wait for weed to be legalized in other states and allow the Colorado cost-of-living bubble to deflate and come back down to earth.

It's just unbelievable what they charge here compared to what you get, and it is 100% tied to the legal weed law. I distinctly remember you could get a 1 bedroom apartment for $500/month, but post-2012 you can't find a 1 bedroom apartment for less than $850. So much insanity.

Unsurprisingly, i've noticed a sharp uptick in homeless people that are visible on street corners etc. Rents have gone up and up and up and up, but people's wages are flatlined or they have lost their jobs altogether. An unsustainable situation all-around driven by greedy landlords "taking advantage" of the weed bubble. Between 2010 and 2016, it was an "overnight" spike in cost-of-living directly tied to huge influx of outsiders and pot-smokers relocating here.

I urge you to do your research and wait it out, that's the best course of action. It's a nice place, but grossly overpriced at the moment.

~ i've lived in and around the greater Denver area for 20+ years

Old 05-18-2016, 07:58 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,124,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
In 2020, we are going to be filled up.
When Colorado fills up to capacity
Sorry.
Good one Dave!

Old 05-18-2016, 09:24 AM

571 posts, read 364,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suemccartin View Post
The current plan is that me and the other will be selling my house in Florida and moving to Colorado. I spent a week in New Mexico in 2005 in May and I really liked the weather and the scenery and over all, almost everything I saw when I was there. The desert can be an unbelievably beautiful place when the cactus are in bloom. I drove just about everywhere but the Santa Fe, it was just too expensive there so I didn't stay long. I grew up in Florida, never lived anyplace else but I know I HAVE TO GET OUT OF HERE the people get dumber every day and the political scene (especially that moron we have for governor right now) just gets worse all the time.

After fifty six years here it is going to be time to go, it already is but if I don't stick it out I have to wait until 62 to get my meager pension. The BF has some health problems that would be helped by that awful plant everyone hates so much so he doesn't really care much where we live. I am looking at the south end of the state probably more east side than west side. Alamosa seems to be a place with some fairly priced housing around it (outside the city). I am planning a trip possibly mid to late 2017 for a week just to drive around and look at stuff, I know May is a beautiful month but what's a really good month to go to really get the feel for the place? (Cheap plane tickets also desirable) Heat with no humidity doesn't scare me, I'd much rather have 95F with under 10% humidity then same temp at 90+% humidity any old time. It's going to be us and my pit bull who will be getting up in his years by then. I've been doing some research to sort of get a feel for the political atmosphere and attitudes about things in Colorado, I figure if you're open minded enough to totally legalize that awful plant that there must be a very open minded political scene indeed. I know I'm going to have a couple of miserable years in store until my body becomes acclimated to the climate and altitude if we end up someplace that isn't flat as a pancake like Florida is, I'm also going to have to learn to drive in the snow and ice...now that is a little scary. If anyone here has lived in Florida before I'd love to hear a few comparison stories about what it's like to live in Colorado vs. Florida.

If you have a typical under 2000 sq ft house what sort of utility bills do you have? I'm sure you run heat more than AC or am I wrong? What does it cost for auto tags and required insurance in Colorado (are there mandated minimums for PI amounts etc.). Do rural homes typically end up with septic systems and wells or city water and sewer? We are pretty addicted to our broadband, are there areas that no one covers? Do you have any taxes besides personal income tax and sales taxes? I read pensions below a certain amount aren't taxed is that still so? Unless we end up in a manufactured house or a kit home (like an A frame) I think I'm going to have to get a small mortgage what are rates like and are mortgages easy or tough?

I'd appreciate any tiddbit of information so I can expand my research.

This could almost be my post. Surviving in Fl., meager pension, can't retire until 2020.
Except the plant part.
My smoking days are well past although I might be interested in edibles.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:59 AM

5,444 posts, read 4,811,646 times
I really don't think your questions can be answered this early in the game. You mentioned 2020 would be your timeframe. Nobody knows what real estate prices will be in 2020. You are looking at housing now, but by then, they might have increased by another 100K. As for my utilities, it is only 2 of us in a 1700 sq/ft house and our power bill is roughly 80 a month, water varies between 70 and 150 because of sprinklers (this includes sewage), and our gas bill runs anywhere between 20 during the summer to 80 in the winter. Of course there are a lot of variables when it comes to utilities.

My wife and I came from the Melbourne area in Florida. We weren't beach people and we both hated the heat and humidity along with all the bugs. We've been out here for about 3 1/2 years now and absolutely love it. We find ourselves spending more time outside because the weather is so much nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado