U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 11:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,401 posts, read 39,713,740 times

Advertisements

Oops. I see you are seeking a transfer to Ft Carson.... In that case.... Come and enjoy, and take heed of all previous advice. I can understand you wanting to get closer to extended family.

There are strong points for each. Location mentioned. Just realize that Colorado is deemed a political battleround state, and it WILL be liberal, not conservative. It will continue to suffer the baggage into it's subsequent chapters, and future generations will pay the dear price of losing its democracy. And... Colorado will become more crowded. The areas you mention wlll not suffer as bad as those nearer to Denver populace. WA has the advantage of sending recreational activities to the sea, and to BC. That helps keep the crowds down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 11:36 AM

3,795 posts, read 3,987,784 times
Cascade, Chipita Park and Green Mtn Falls along Hwy 24 might be worth a look too, though they will have more snow and probably will be more expensive than outside Canon City. Maybe even Woodland Park. Time the commutes when you visit.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:02 PM

3,795 posts, read 3,987,784 times
If you decide to hang on to current job for longer, you might find land around Roy, McKenna or Yelm WA that would be to your liking. Or Orting and Graham. Or Buckley or Enumclaw. Or Eatonville. Some of the outer fringes of the south Puget Sound region.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-17-2016 at 12:10 PM..

Old 05-17-2016, 02:10 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,882,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Oops. I see you are seeking a transfer to Ft Carson.... In that case.... Come and enjoy, and take heed of all previous advice. I can understand you wanting to get closer to extended family.

There are strong points for each. Location mentioned. Just realize that Colorado is deemed a political battleround state, and it WILL be liberal, not conservative. It will continue to suffer the baggage into it's subsequent chapters, and future generations will pay the dear price of losing its democracy. And... Colorado will become more crowded. The areas you mention wlll not suffer as bad as those nearer to Denver populace. WA has the advantage of sending recreational activities to the sea, and to BC. That helps keep the crowds down.
Colorado is NOT a liberal state. About 1/3 of the population is Democrat, 1/3 of the population is Republican, and 1/3 of the population is unaffiliated.

To win a statewide election, you must win the unaffiliated vote. To win the unaffiliated vote, you can't be a left wing or a right wing nutjob.

The Republican party, at both the state and national level, keeps trotting out ultra-conservative candidates, and their message doesn't fly here. The Democrats have been much better at running moderates (Yes, Obama IS a moderate), so they keep winning.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:54 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Colorado is NOT a liberal state. About 1/3 of the population is Democrat, 1/3 of the population is Republican, and 1/3 of the population is unaffiliated.

To win a statewide election, you must win the unaffiliated vote. To win the unaffiliated vote, you can't be a left wing or a right wing nutjob.

The Republican party, at both the state and national level, keeps trotting out ultra-conservative candidates, and their message doesn't fly here. The Democrats have been much better at running moderates (Yes, Obama IS a moderate), so they keep winning.
While I think, ideologically, Stealthrabbit is far better positioned than I am to give the OP advice, I have to laugh at his notion that Denver is losing its democracy. We simply aren't letting conservative Christians dictate their laws and values to us. Maybe that feels like losing democracy to him, but it feels like freedom to me.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,401 posts, read 39,713,740 times
The OP specifically is including politics in decision, so they will need to look into the way Colorado is voting on far more issues than US President. It is helpful to see where the money is coming from to fund campaigns for initiatives. Often it is from supporters in other states that have an agenda of their own (sway the politics / laws of a battleground state).

A recent highly contested WA initiative campaign was 99% funding by out of state interests, this may continue to be a problem if OP goes to CO to escape PNW politics.

Our own freedoms always come at a cost to others, for many, they lose their livelihood. (Ranching / farming/ businesses / jobs/ ability to provide jobs). Often it is great for renters and employees.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:15 AM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
The OP specifically is including politics in decision, so they will need to look into the way Colorado is voting on far more issues than US President. It is helpful to see where the money is coming from to fund campaigns for initiatives. Often it is from supporters in other states that have an agenda of their own (sway the politics / laws of a battleground state).

A recent highly contested WA initiative campaign was 99% funding by out of state interests, this may continue to be a problem if OP goes to CO to escape PNW politics.
We agree on this.

I don't agree with painting the picture that it's mostly liberal influences from out of state though. Being a battleground state as you mention, we get plenty of outside money on both sides.

Looking at voting history, Colorado has always been fairly purple. My grandmother, whose mother was born in Pueblo in 1896, voted for Obama. Native liberals all around.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:15 PM

16 posts, read 24,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Your planned June road trip is well advised.

The realities of living in the area under consideration may be somewhat different than your outlook about a rural lifestyle in Colorado these days .... particularly regarding COL, land/housing prices while located within a reasonable commute from your base. Don't forget that inclement driving conditions present during the winter months which can be a game-changer if you have to report to work for a scheduled shift. Small Acreage properties will be expensive when you're seeking places to keep livestock as most HOA's/residential subdivisions or most incorporated areas will typically restrict such operations. It's somewhat of a conundrum ... you can buy larger acreage rural properties for less $'s per acre, but you have to buy considerably more acres so the total purchase price becomes much higher. Land developers and speculators have been active in the area for decades, so the "cheap" acreages have long been tied up by folk with a profit motive, along with water rights.

Gardening at altitude is a whole 'nother topic compared to the mid-west or the PNW area you're in now. It is be done, but the growing season is much shorter and water availability/use is different in the area you're considering. Take the time to learn about Colorado water law/use/availability for any given property under consideration; ie, do not take for granted that you will have the use of water outside the residence.

This is very helpful information to look into, things I didn't even think much about. I appreciate it. The water thing was on my radar, but I wasn't aware of the property ownership/market culture. Thanks!

Old 05-18-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Cascade, Chipita Park and Green Mtn Falls along Hwy 24 might be worth a look too, though they will have more snow and probably will be more expensive than outside Canon City. Maybe even Woodland Park. Time the commutes when you visit.
Great advice! Thanks. I am putting those places on my radar.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:26 PM

The debate back and forth around Colorado politics gives me a good sense of the makeup. It sounds like a typical divided battleground state. My hope is, wherever we move, I can post my sign at the entrance to my property that it's open liberal hunting season. Just a little backwards political humor. I find that typically the further you move away from major metropolitan areas, the less extreme liberalism you find. I can tolerate stuff from both sides quite honestly, it's the extreme stuff that drives me nuts, and I don't like being around it.

To the poster above that described my statement of "all the people" where I live as ironic.....I suggest you take a trip to where I live. The school district where my spouse works is one of the most dense in the country. Just the "South Sound" area is a conglomerate and glorified Seattle Suburb with 1 Million people in it. I'm pretty sure that dry Southern Colorado with 20-30 acres backed up to 1000's of BLM acreage is a bit of a different experience. But then again, I dont' live there, that's why I posted here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado