U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 09:25 PM

16 posts, read 24,072 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So this isn't something immediate, but possibly 1-3 years down he road. We moved out to Washington State for an adventure, getting our careers going. It's just my wife and I, and our 2 dogs. Hopefully a kid soon. I work for the Army as a civilian. I am wanting to transfer to Fort Carson, and move to the Canon City, Penrose, Florence, Just West of Pueblo area. We are both midwesterners at heart, originally from Kansas and Oklahoma. We currently live near Tacoma, and there are just WAYY to many people here in Washington, and they are all liberal (yuck), sorry if you're liberal. Highways are clogged, it takes 45 minutes to drive 12 miles. The neighborhood we live in is full of beautiful homes, we paid $335,000 for ours, built it brand new in 2013. Prices are soaring out here, and we look to make about $100,000 off the house when we sell it. We want a smaller home with a lot of land. We think that Southern Colorado might be the ticket.

We like space, space, and more space. We like small towns where people know each other, and life is simple, and my idea of heaven is gardening, having chickens and goats, and sitting on a front porch to watch the sunset while I sip on some Sweet Tea or a cocktail. We love being close to mountains as well for hiking, fishing, camping, exploring, etc. We are taking a road trip in June and will be staying in the Canon City area to check it out. We are slightly more familiar with Colorado Springs but have never been South of that area.

Any thoughts would be appreciated on whether based on the info I provided that this seems like a good move for us or things we should consider or be skeptical about? Another bonus out of this is that we will be a half days drive from all immediate family, that alone makes this worth it. I will miss the ocean, but I just CANT STAND all the people out in Washington. It's freakish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 10:00 PM

3,883 posts, read 4,043,121 times
Yeah, it sounds like a good plan for you.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:06 PM

2,693 posts, read 2,342,941 times
I suggest checking out Fountain, it's a suburb of Colorado Springs, just south of there.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I suggest checking out Fountain, it's a suburb of Colorado Springs, just south of there.

Thanks for the suggestion. I briefly looked at properties in that area, it seems a bit more barren than Penrose or Canon City......like really barren; and from what else I saw, it was really "suburb" cookie cutter neighborhood heavy. Do you know if this is true? We definitely want a minimum of 5 acres. Thanks!

Old 05-16-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Yeah, it sounds like a good plan for you.
Thanks! I'm thinking so too.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:21 AM

2,693 posts, read 2,342,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerloder View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I briefly looked at properties in that area, it seems a bit more barren than Penrose or Canon City......like really barren; and from what else I saw, it was really "suburb" cookie cutter neighborhood heavy. Do you know if this is true? We definitely want a minimum of 5 acres. Thanks!
It is suburb cookie cutter unfortunately. There's a few areas with more acreage, cross streets of Link Rd and Circle C Rd on the east side of Fountain are more exurb area that have septic tank and wells for sources of water. Not sure if they're a minimum of 5 acres, but close.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:58 AM

1,011 posts, read 639,316 times
I find it ironic that you complain about "all the people" in Washington when it's only ranked 25th in terms of population density among the 50 U.S. states and the fact you'll probably end up living in a home on a postage stamp-sized lot where you can practically touch your neighbor's home if you move to Colorado.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
As a Colorado to WA transplant, you may be gravely disappointed in CO.

Consider WY, SD ( both are income tax free and conservative and outdoor cultures). Sheridan, Powell, Spearfish, Sturgis are all nice. Star Valley Wy gives you quick access to great UT skiing and ID hunting and WY fishing and hiking.
Similar, look at Sandpoint, ID and Logan, UT.

Colorado has had growing pains for 50 yrs. do a history course in Colorado politics and state funding changes, then look at growth management and access to necessary infrastructure including WATER. You might re consider. Colorado is bumper to bumper recreation seekers on roads and trails during late summer and fall. Do a 'lifetime earnings' projection comparing CO wages, taxes, CoL with at least 3 other options. My WA wages were 30% higher than CO, and CoL 20% lower + no state income tax, so my move from CO to WA netted me a lot of extra savings that enabled me to retire pre age 50. On a single earner hourly wage income.

What are your employment and access to airports and higher education?

36 of 39 counties in WA are conservative, and very sparsely populated.

If you like the outdoors, look north of Newport, WA. My friend in Ione, WA has 20 fishing lakes within 20 miles, and seldom is there anyone else fishing on them. BC Canada is 20 min away with pristine camping and skiing.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:29 AM

1,869 posts, read 3,128,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I find it ironic that you complain about "all the people" in Washington when it's only ranked 25th in terms of population density among the 50 U.S. states and the fact you'll probably end up living in a home on a postage stamp-sized lot where you can practically touch your neighbor's home if you move to Colorado.
The problem is that MOST of the people in WA State are crammed into the Puget Sound area where the OP lives. The Seattle Metro area (Everett down to Tacoma) is approaching 4 million and growing quickly.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:02 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,368,175 times
Your planned June road trip is well advised.

The realities of living in the area under consideration may be somewhat different than your outlook about a rural lifestyle in Colorado these days .... particularly regarding COL, land/housing prices while located within a reasonable commute from your base. Don't forget that inclement driving conditions present during the winter months which can be a game-changer if you have to report to work for a scheduled shift. Small Acreage properties will be expensive when you're seeking places to keep livestock as most HOA's/residential subdivisions or most incorporated areas will typically restrict such operations. It's somewhat of a conundrum ... you can buy larger acreage rural properties for less $'s per acre, but you have to buy considerably more acres so the total purchase price becomes much higher. Land developers and speculators have been active in the area for decades, so the "cheap" acreages have long been tied up by folk with a profit motive, along with water rights.

Gardening at altitude is a whole 'nother topic compared to the mid-west or the PNW area you're in now. It is be done, but the growing season is much shorter and water availability/use is different in the area you're considering. Take the time to learn about Colorado water law/use/availability for any given property under consideration; ie, do not take for granted that you will have the use of water outside the residence.

Last edited by sunsprit; 05-17-2016 at 04:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado