U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 04:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,481 times

Advertisements

The average rent for a 1 bedroom in Denver is $1375.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 04:49 PM

285 posts, read 272,507 times
Additionally, diversity needs to be better defined. Compared to many other places, there is much less ethnic diversity. There is some LGBTQ diversity, more than most Midwest metro areas, probably. There is some socioeconomic diversity, but still much less than say, any major metro area on either coasts or Houston or Chicago.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:01 PM

3,143 posts, read 1,933,065 times
Tornado risk is much lower in west part of the state. Eastern CO is essentially same as NE and KS.

History of tornadoes in Colorado, 1950-2013: Interactive graphic - The Denver Post

I'll echo the recommendation for considering the western slope. There are some areas that are known for their peach orchards, I believe around Palisade?? I don't have any idea about the schools or the job situation, though.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:21 PM

3,768 posts, read 4,620,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I tend to agree with most of this. In the OP's profile, she lists that they live in Defiance, OH. It's a town of 15,000 people that is 55 miles from Toledo, which is a metro area of 600,000.

If she is trying to replicate that, there really isn't anything similar to that in Colorado that I can think of. Maybe something like Palisade with a population of 2,600 or Fruita with a population of 12,000. Both are only a few minutes from Grand Junction and included in the Grand Junction metropolitan area with an overall population of 150,000.

It is going to be a fairly drastic change from Ohio. It's high desert living in the Colorado River valley. Beautiful, but very different. Jobs will be a concern.

If she does want to go Front Range, maybe check Louisville. Population of about 20,000. Easy access to Denver and Boulder. Might feel like more of a suburb though than a small town since it is part of the 3,000,000 person Denver/Boulder metropolitan area.
The problem with that is the job market is terrible in Grand Junction and the western slope as a whole unless you are in a handful of very specific fields, such as medical doctor. Also unless diversity is native Americans and Hispanics there is not much diversity in the Grand Valley (I believe there is 1 African American kid in my son's school)

Old 05-18-2016, 07:54 PM

13,950 posts, read 20,207,715 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey lewis View Post
Would like towns no larger than 10,000 - 15,000 with good schools, a mixed race population, good job opportunities, a decent grow season!
Does not compute.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:33 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,334,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey lewis View Post
Hi! My husband and I have been discussing a move to Colorado. We are actually going to visit the state this summer and I would like to tailor our trip with an eye towards livable areas. We have discussed the mid to northeast section of the state. I would like towns no larger than 10,000 - 15,000 with good schools, a mixed race population, good job opportunities, a decent grow season, and no tornados...sorry Wray! Thanks for the help!
The northeast part of Colorado consists mainly of lonely little agricultural towns way out on the plains. The area gets hit by tornadoes probably more than the rest of Colorado. Rural Colorado ain't no Denver and the rural parts of the state are hurting with high unemployment and schools which are not all that good. It's "mixed race" if you want to count the migrant farm workers, but when they're gone it's all pretty much white bread communities. What made you decide on NE Colorado, anyway? Oh, never mind.

Come on out here to Cortez (pop 8,000). At least we seldom if ever get tornadoes, and we are very mixed race since Cortez is located almost on top of the Ute rez and the Navajo Nation. We also have a number of Hispanics who live here year round. No African Americans though. Our growing season is fine IF you can find the water to irrigate your crops with. If you just want a veggie garden in the back of your house in town, you can do it as long as you don't choke on your monthly water bills. The bad news is that our schools suck (second lowest ranking in the entire state), and our unemployment is high. When you do find work, it's usually a low paying job in the tourist industry. Hey, three out of five is better than you'll do in most other parts of rural Colorado. Visit Cortez and we'll do lunch on me.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:47 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,594,155 times
Wife and I lived south of Denver, in Englewood and Parker for 5 1/2 years (mid 2002 thru Oct. 2007). Doesn't appear that the diversity of the area has changed at all since we lived there. We don't need "diversity" like some folks who have lived around a lot of diversity in other cities.

I've read about people planning, or thinking, on moving to Colorado and asking about the demographics of any area. They find out that cities/towns in Colorado aren't nearly as diverse as they really want or were use to. Well, all I can say is "welcome to Colorado!"

As for us, we are currently living in northeastern Florida, which some folks think is "utopia" , but we sure don't! Looking to move back to Colorado in a year or so. By that time, wife will retire, I already am, and we won't have to endure the winter months there like we did when we had to work. Heck, we still have our Winter Parka's and snow/ice scrappers from when we lived there.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:11 AM

5,321 posts, read 2,759,690 times
That is not a realistic list for Colorado.

Sounds more like a small-medium town in the northeast US. Yes, there is farming in the northeast, so the grow season is decent for at least some things. Watermelons, no. Apples, corn, leafy greens like chard and lettuce, zucchini, tomatoes, yes.

Diversity is the one thing that might be missing, but New Englanders are a fairly polite bunch overall, so unless you are very thin-skinned, it should be fine. Then again, your defensiveness to BornInTheSprings' response may put you in the thin-skinned category...not only in the northeast US but anywhere, including in CO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or