U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 07:57 PM

72 posts, read 76,124 times

Advertisements

Am planning a big roadtrip from Ohio to Zion National Park and then Las Vegas. A huge chunk of this trip will be I-70 in Colorado. I have been to Colorado many times when I was younger, but more in the central part of the state, but never off of 70 in the mountains. What are some good stops to pull, not more than 20-30 minutes off the freeway that would be good for site seeing, historical stuff or cool downtowns? Would Idaho Springs or Georgetown be a good choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 08:38 PM

5,199 posts, read 8,325,396 times
Georgetown, with its historic downtown shops etc could be a good stop, especially if you have time to take the "Georgetown Loop" railroad tour.
Idaho Springs not so much, unless you want to take the gold mine tour.
If into factory outlet malls, there are 2 in Dillon/Silverthorne area.
If time is not a big issue, take US 6 over Loveland Pass, instead of the Eisenhower tunnel.
Breckenridge is an older ski town about 30 minutes south on Rt9.
The ski town of Vail is right on I-70.
Glenwood Springs might be a good overnite stop to enjoy the hot springs pool.
Rifle Falls State Park is about 30 minutes north of Rifle, CO
Around Grand Junction there are peach orchards where you can pick your own, (if in season)

Old 05-22-2016, 09:27 PM

6,905 posts, read 6,499,225 times
Glenwood Springs. If you have time do the Hanging Lake hike. Also worth a soak in the hot springs pool.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:34 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,059,744 times
Idaho Springs is a little touristy, but a nice spot to shop for some knick-knacks and get a bite to eat. If it's open, you could also turn off and go to the top of Mt. Evans, which is around an hour to the top but is the highest paved road in North America. Georgetown, as well, is a nice spot for either the Georgetown Loop or a quick drive up to the top of Guanella Pass, which is quite easy to do. I agree with maybe staying in Glenwood Springs, but would encourage you to turn off earlier in the canyon and take the relatively brief hike up to Hanging Lake. It's definitely worth it.

And I know it's not CO, but once you're in UT, I would highly suggest that you take the hourlong road to Moab on 128, AKA the River Road. It has spectacular views of Red Rock Country and the La Sal Range- but it'll probably turn into a longer diversion so that you can check out Arches, Canyonlands, and Deadhorse Canyon. Worth the detour, though!

Old 05-23-2016, 02:01 AM

2,659 posts, read 2,307,776 times
If you like good root beer, check out Tommyknocker Brewery in Idaho Springs on your way to Zion NP.

Tommyknocker Brewery - Restaurant, Craft Beer

1401 Miner Street, Idaho Springs, CO, United States

Old 05-23-2016, 03:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,732,014 times
If you like unique scenery, do not miss Valley of Fire, 50 mi NE of Vegas. Go at sunrise or sunset, nice camping too...

Bryce and Arches are nice too, I don't get too excited about Zion. ( bit too much like colorado, and similarly crowded)

Glenwood Springs makes a good overnite destination. You can jet on down to Maroon Bells if you have extra time, and take the gorgeous backroads to Moab.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:36 AM

6,905 posts, read 6,499,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If you like unique scenery, do not miss Valley of Fire, 50 mi NE of Vegas. Go at sunrise or sunset, nice camping too...

Bryce and Arches are nice too, I don't get too excited about Zion. ( bit too much like colorado, and similarly crowded)

Glenwood Springs makes a good overnite destination. You can jet on down to Maroon Bells if you have extra time, and take the gorgeous backroads to Moab.
I love Arches and Bryce, but Zion is my favorite of the three. It is crowded until you hike off the main roads or go up the canyon. It just takes a little more effort at Zion to get away from the crowds, but it's totally worth it.

If you really want to get away from people, bring a dry suit and some ropes and Zion provides far more seclusion than Arches or Bryce and some of the most spectacular canyons I've ever seen. There are many outfitters who can bring you to these places as well if you can't do it yourself.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 05-23-2016 at 07:59 AM..

Old 05-23-2016, 02:54 PM

3,942 posts, read 3,240,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post

And I know it's not CO, but once you're in UT, I would highly suggest that you take the hourlong road to Moab on 128, AKA the River Road. It has spectacular views of Red Rock Country and the La Sal Range- but it'll probably turn into a longer diversion so that you can check out Arches, Canyonlands, and Deadhorse Canyon. Worth the detour, though!
I second this drive along Hwy 128. It's awesome. When we visited Arches and Canyonlands 3 years ago, we stayed at a nice property on 128.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I love Arches and Bryce, but Zion is my favorite of the three. It is crowded until you hike off the main roads or go up the canyon. It just takes a little more effort at Zion to get away from the crowds, but it's totally worth it.
I agree Zion can be amazing if you take the time to get away from the crowds in the main areas. We were there last year, and headed outside of the main park and hiked in Taylor Creek in the Kolob Canyons section and it was great. We encountered absolutely nobody else for 2 full hours until we started to backtrack towards the trailhead.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:36 AM

606 posts, read 578,118 times
I love going through Colorado, I make the KY to Idaho run every year and will take the extra time going I 70 vs I 80. Its that great.

Glenwood Springs gets my vote a great place to stop for the night. Usually, we get a room at the Courtyard by Marriott or its sister hotel, the Residence Inn. Both are really nice places. Dinner downtown with an after dinner soak in the hot springs is the typical rest stop for us. The next morning, we are rested and ready to go.

Palisades is a great place to pick up a flat or two of the best peaches around. I still have some in my freezer from last summers trip back east and back.

Have a safe and fun trip!

Old 06-01-2016, 09:22 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,336,721 times
If you have time in Grand Junction, drive over Rim Rock Drive in the Colorado National Monument. 25 miles overlooking beautiful red rock canyons. The road comes out in Fruita where you can hop back on I-70.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or