U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 05:05 PM

5,321 posts, read 7,169,198 times

Advertisements

I think you're going to have to see where jobs take you. Denver has the most jobs but also the higher cost of living. If you really need a big city feel you'll want to stay around Denver. Ft. Collins and Colorado Springs are also sizeable communities on the Front Range that might suit your needs. Once you figure out the general area, you can narrow-in on specifics - like a suburb or satellite town of one of these or in the city proper, etc. If proximity to family is really important, that alone may answer your question (how close do you want to be?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 10:58 AM

811 posts, read 1,223,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecyndi View Post
Hi, I currently live in Seattle and I'm looking to move to Colorado so my husband can be closer to family. The cost of living here is getting out of hand. I'm looking for the best area that's pretty close to everything. Help please. I have no children and I'm a local actor here. Any suggestions. Also my spouse works in the tech industry. I was originally thinking Fort Collins but most people recommend staying away.
There is unfortunately no "perfect place" anywhere, Colorado included, unless money is no object and even then downsides exist. Aspen, Santa Barbara, Manhattan may not be your cup of tea even if you've got 20M in the bank. Denver is "booming" and has jobs but the downsides are horrible horrible traffic congestion and highish real estate prices (from a buyer's perspective). Not a huge upside of bang for the buck in Denver or Boulder anymore relative to what you get and the awful traffic congestion (one of my pet peeves, obviously). My wife and I looked at all this back in 2002 when we were "moving back" to Colorado and we decided that Colorado Springs, though not perfect by any means, was the best balance of value, job opportunities (still a city of 500K+), relative lack of traffic and congestion (my commute from home in foothills to downtown office is typically 12 minutes), quality of schools (though you have no children so that's maybe not an issue), access to outdoors/nature, the list goes on. It's not my ideal "political" environment here but really on a day-to-day basis that has almost zero impact on actual life, unless one decides to attend city-council meetings for laughs and giggles, which I don't and don't know anybody who does. Depending on where you live, COS is surprisingly diverse in many ways (probably even some actors around!).

Not trying to persuade you or anyone else to live in COS or anywhere else for that matter, just pointing out literally nowhere on earth is "perfect" and checks every single box. We all have to figure out the pros and cons of every place and try to find the most sensible fit based on our unique values. Sometimes a good fit is counterintuitive and requires a degree of out-of-the-box thinking and an open mind. In other words, don't write off a possible option because of some pre-conceived notion or opinions you've read on the internet (). Think and experience for yourself and you'll find the closest thing possible to that idealized goldilocks just-right situation ... eventually.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:08 AM

10,063 posts, read 13,948,595 times
With prices so high/close to So Cal now I may just stay here. I would never pay 585k for the new stuff going up by my friend's place in Lakewood. He's in real estate BTW.

Bubble City is what Denver Metro is now.

Last edited by Teckeeee; 06-08-2016 at 11:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or