U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 02:02 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,489,213 times

Advertisements

Oh for god's sake, I have a ton of conservative friends here (far more than I did in Jersey) and once you get outside of Denver the atmosphere becomes much more conservative, even if you factor out the people claiming their agricultural subsidies.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:14 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,966,743 times
Interesting.
I have actually observed a shift to the political right over the last decade. Cory Gardner replaced Mark Udall in the Senate, and Ken Buck took his house seat in the last election. The State Legislature seems poised for another right-ward lean. Even Boulder County seems to be shifting to the Right.

I don't know about Denver, these days. I tend to avoid going down there. Weld an Larimer County are just fine by my book.

But, good luck in Armadillo. I have friends that love it there.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:59 PM

650 posts, read 564,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppunk View Post
so I don't understand the need to surround myself with people who agree with me. If I did, there would be no place for me to move to.
This^
Honestly, the tendency to sum up people entirely on their political leanings is beyond me.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:21 PM

4,596 posts, read 3,190,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
This^
Honestly, the tendency to sum up people entirely on their political leanings is beyond me.
I have one cousin left in my family and he won't talk to me because I'm a loony liberal.

Can't please them all.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:49 PM

13,227 posts, read 24,316,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenretriever1234 View Post
It's hard to get a cheap apartment in Denver for less than $2,500 (I live with a family).
I get ranting and all (can't say I agree with much of what you said though), but ^^^^^really?

Come on now.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:50 PM

12,247 posts, read 8,036,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I have one cousin left in my family and he won't talk to me because I'm a loony liberal.

Can't please them all.
Isn't that the problem with the people we elect? They won't talk to each other because they are on different sides of the aisle.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:53 PM

3,249 posts, read 1,615,791 times
I am from Colorado also, but have moved every couple of years to a different state.

I have lived in Nebraska, North Dakota, Utah, Arizona, Nevada and Kentucky.

I don't know if it is because I am getting older but this state was better in the 1990s as opposed to now.

The area in the 1990s had a well-rounded economy that raised all boats, the price of apartments and homes was very cheap and other then a few neighborhoods it didn't feel any different then now. The people were far friendlier back then also.

When I see homes that are less then 2,000 square feet going for $500,000 in neighborhoods in Denver that aren't even that nice it makes laugh. I keep reading about articles about how much the neighborhoods in Denver have changed but other then some new townhomes and condo's it hasn't changed much.

Denver used to attract more people from rural area's of the Midwest and Californians which by and large are a friendly demographic. Now it's a mix of bourgeois yuppies and pretentious people from all over the country.

Paying $500,000 for a little house to have some restaurants with patios that people may go to once a week seems silly to me. There seems to be more and more retail vacancies in these hyped-up areas also as I am sure the little restaurants are unable to stay in business.

Colorado Springs while having great scenery and offering lots of house for the money has one of the worst economies of any city in America of it's size.

I looked at the economic numbers for Colorado Springs and they are terrible, especially if you consider what the city was in the 1990s.

Overall, I personally think the state is over-rated. The cost of housing is either extremely overpriced or the economy is terrible depending on location.

I know Utah and Nebraska seem to have a much better balance for middle-class and working-class people. Both of those states have a great economy not saturated with new arrivals, very affordable housing, efficient and good public services, great health care and lots of upward mobility and oppurtunity.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:58 PM

12,247 posts, read 8,036,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I agree. You're not alone on this. Colorado is hostile towards people who aren't politically aligned to the left. The left coast and northeast are the same way. If you're not a yuppie, hipster or rich liberal, then don't bother being here unless you keep your opinions to yourself.
Have you move to Prescott Valley yet? I am in PV now visiting my folks and really don't understand the attraction here besides the weather. My folks just moved here from San Diego to be more comfortable in their retirement. They love it here so more power to them. What is funny is Prescott calls itself The Mile High City. My wife had a good chuckle over that.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:10 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,896,352 times
Everybody has a different point of view.

There are plenty of conservatives here in Colorado Springs. I actually prefer progressives but I get along with everybody.

Houses are fairly cheap. Rents are increasing but much cheaper than Denver.

As for drugs, I don't know. Seems we're no worse than any other place.

No place is perfect.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:21 PM

13,227 posts, read 24,316,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Everybody has a different point of view.

There are plenty of conservatives here in Colorado Springs. I actually prefer progressives but I get along with everybody.
I'm a "smile and nod" liberal. Meaning, when a crusty old man comes up to me at a bar, and tells me that he can't wait to vote for Trump (true story), I just smile and nod, and I let him believe his beliefs have some level of validity (which is what I would want somebody to do to me).

I don't think I've ever had a liberal come up to me and try to push or share their views with me....EVER in life. Anywhere.

I didn't know political discussion/discourse could be that suffocating.....

We liberals are boring anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or