Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 09:42 AM

92 posts, read 97,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
So i think the fact that you are, A) moving to Texas, and B) see Gettysburg as anything even close to comparable, says it all. You definitely should move, but realize that the country is becoming more liberal, home prices are always rising (at least in a desirable location), drugs are and will always be an issue, no matter where you live in the US. Beauty and opportunity are not for everyone.l

If anything I would say the country is becoming increasingly anti-establishment.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:56 AM

923 posts, read 490,492 times
I can certainly relate to the OP in many regards. I'm not a native but I've been here long enough to realize that Colorado typically swings a little to the left and then a little to the right but never far in either direction. That seems to have changed now and Colorado is getting deeper blue. As someone originally from the Deep South, I always get a chuckle at people saying how conservative the Springs is, particularly when they complain about the "bible thumpers".

I'm not laying the change at the feet of Amend 64 (I could neither support nor oppose it so just left that one blank on my ballot) but I do see a change since it passed. I've run into numerous cases of stoners (and I'm not using that term to apply to all who use pot) who are excited about moving to Colorado with no job, no prospects or even interests in finding one, just questions about what the public assistance is like in Colorado and which cities have the lowest cost of living with the best access to recreational pot.

We are also planning our exit either to the Western Slope of CO or to another state in the Rockies - but we're definitely leaving the front range in any case. If "ColoradoCares" passes this year it will be the final stake in the heart of the state for us.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:38 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,575,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I don't know if it is because I am getting older but this state was better in the 1990s as opposed to now.

The area in the 1990s had a well-rounded economy that raised all boats, the price of apartments and homes was very cheap and other then a few neighborhoods it didn't feel any different then now. The people were far friendlier back then also.
Definitely, back when I graduated college I was quite eager to move to CO where half of my family is from and at the time for the wages you could make, the cost of a home and the culture/lifestyle mix, the 1990's were good in Colorado. You simply couldn't go wrong with Colorado back then. There were some freaky people around, but mostly it was a normal family oriented place.

What I started to notice about 10 years ago was an influx of freaks, weirdos and potheads into the state. Certainly Colorado had suffered before under Californians fleeing to the state in the 1980's but it was worse this time around and not good. Denver now is just another run of the mill liberal city with neo zoom dweebie hipster bars, trendy restaurants, street bums and drug use everywhere. It's overbuilt and expensive for what you get. Denver and Colorado used to be part of the "west" but now it's flooded with east and left coasters with no real appreciation for the locale, it's history, it's traditional industry and they are merely locusts piggybacking on what is hip right now like smoking weed and they will probably consume what they can before moving on to the next target down the road. Someday people will be fleeing Colorado as people did other leftist hell holes like NJ and CA.

In fact I used to be a daily-weekly contributor on this Colorado forum until it was so consumed with pot threads that one day when I visited nearly every topic on the front page of the Colorado forum was where to get pot, what pot to smoke, moving to Colorado to smoke pot and what welfare benefits you could get moving to Colorado to smoke pot. I said well, that is it for me so if lucky I might check this forum once a month now instead. It's like Colorado is one big pile of weed now.

Because the federal and state governments control the vast majority of the good mountain land, land prices are insane for nice parcels that might be available, so it's become a typical leftist utopia, a token few oligarchy rich with a bunch of struggling bottom feeders trying to survive.

You can still find some traditional parts of Colorado and the mountains are still the mountains but it's funny to see how my view of it has changed over 20 years from a great passion for the state to disdain. I still visit once a year at least for family but I just ain't feeling it no more for the place.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
It's cheap there - what can I say?

Unlike Dallas - where the median cost of new construction just crossed the $300,000 mark. Why people would shell out that much money for a house in the Metroplex is beyond me. Almost zero scenic beauty, endless sprawl, and a wretched climate to boot.
Californians and other coasters are leaving the leftist hell holes they created and are feasting on Texas now. Lots of large companies moving to Texas to escape taxation and bureaucracy. Toyota for instance has moved thousands of people out of California.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
I'm not laying the change at the feet of Amend 64 (I could neither support nor oppose it so just left that one blank on my ballot) but I do see a change since it passed. I've run into numerous cases of stoners (and I'm not using that term to apply to all who use pot) who are excited about moving to Colorado with no job, no prospects or even interests in finding one, just questions about what the public assistance is like in Colorado and which cities have the lowest cost of living with the best access to recreational pot.

We are also planning our exit either to the Western Slope of CO or to another state in the Rockies - but we're definitely leaving the front range in any case. If "ColoradoCares" passes this year it will be the final stake in the heart of the state for us.
ColoradoCare is a death knell for industry in the state, so enjoy that.

Great to see I'm not the only one to see the influx of stoners and stoner culture into the state and what it has done. What a foundation of success building it on welfare lovers and drug users.

I think you can run to the western slope but you can't hide this. Personally I would find another state.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:26 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,911,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenretriever1234 View Post
Hello, I am a lifelong resident of this state, and have lived in several areas including Greeley, Sterling, Greenwood Village, and Canon City. I have also lived in other states such as Texas, Maryland, and Pennsylvania, but am a native of Colorado. And, Colorado is my least favorite.

For starters, conservatives are seemingly not welcome in Colorado anymore. The state is becoming increasingly liberal, even in places like Weld County. Now, some people appreciate this, but I can't stand it.

Now, home prices are outrageous in Colorado. It's hard to get a cheap apartment in Denver for less than $2,500 (I live with a family). We live near Greeley now, and it is still way too expensive. It makes no sense, we lived near Gettysburg, Pa. and it was much cheaper than Colorado.

Drugs are horrible in Colorado. When we lived in the Sterling area, drugs and drug dealers roamed the town in broad daylight. The schools are full of drugs throughout the state (and the country, but CO is the worst I have seen), but Logan County, Colorado has got to have the most drugs per capita I have ever seen.

People are actually very unfriendly in Colorado. Denver is not an inviting place at all.

We are moving to Amarillo, Texas possibly by June 20 due to a job offer, and I cannot wait to get out of the hell that is Colorado.

I will definitely be attacked for this opinion, but I am a native (born in Greeley, raised in Phillips County), and know this state. This post is not meant to offend anybody, just to give my personal opinion.
Go live in Oklahoma and never return.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:34 PM

923 posts, read 490,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
ColoradoCare is a death knell for industry in the state, so enjoy that.

Great to see I'm not the only one to see the influx of stoners and stoner culture into the state and what it has done. What a foundation of success building it on welfare lovers and drug users.

I think you can run to the western slope but you can't hide this. Personally I would find another state.
For us it'll be next summer for the move, so by then we'll know the (immediate) fate of CC. Not that the forces behind it will give up on it if it's rejected. But yeah if it passes, the Western Slope will come off our list. As you say, there'll be no hiding from it as a small business owner so I'll take my business and the jobs it provides to another state.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:22 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,256,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Interesting observations, OP. I do disagree on some points, though:

Colorado has without a doubt become more liberal in recent years, but I don't see how "conservatives are not welcome." There are plenty of conservatives in Colorado (Colorado Springs, anyone), but there is also a live-and-let-live attitude here. The gun-toting, bible-thumping types may not be welcome with open arms quite as much as a place like Texas. As a liberal myself, the state's political shift toward the left doesn't bother me one bit (I actually welcome it), but I can see where it is disheartening to more conservative people.

I actually find the people in Colorado (even in Denver) to be very friendly. I used to find the people a bit standoffish, but moved to Chicago for a couple years and returned with a whole new perspective (I found Chicago to be extremely rude and unfriendly in comparison). I've observed that the people here aren't nosy and judgmental, which can come across as standoffish. It's quite different than the southern states and Texas where there's more of a culture of being in everyone else's business, but personally I like it.

Like others have mentioned, though, it sounds like Texas is more of your kind of place, so hopefully it will be a good move for you. Good luck!
I live in western Centennial in the Cherry Creek school district (as opposed to Littleton). My experience is that fiscal conservatism is alive and well here, and there are plenty of social conservatives, too, usually of the Catholic persuasion. No hate there, because these are my much loved neighbors. Personally, I am a liberal on the hot button social issues, but I tend toward fiscal conservatism. I do not find that anyone is shunned for their political beliefs, but we don't go out of our way to debate those issues, which tends to be the norm in suburbs such as mine. We try very hard to get along, as our children's friendships and our own professional relationships may suffer if we come across as intractable jerks.

As far as friendliness is concerned, this born-and-bred Midwesterner, who spent some years living on both the east and west coasts, finds a healthy mixture of friendliness mixed with a live and let live attitude. Nobody will come knocking down your door to drag you to a neighborhood barbecue, but there are plenty of opportunities for socializing if you seek it out.

When it comes to housing prices, all I can say is that living on the coasts changed my perspective on affordability, but as my children prepare to leave the nest, I'm very aware of what a burden they face in establishing themselves after college. That said, it is what it is, and the only thing we as parents can really do is help them avoid college debt as much as possible, so they have a fighting chance if they wish to stay in Colorado.

I can't speak to the issue of drugs. We do not use drugs or alcohol, and we're not aware of it being an issue in our social group. We're not particularly uptight people; we just prefer the sober life. Our kids tell us that it's there if you want it, but they and their friends abstain, and I believe them. Maybe I'm naive, but my kids are homebodies who for some weird reason actually like inviting their friends over to watch old movies with their father and I in the next room, so I'm not sure where they'd have much opportunity to partake.

Anyway, this is all a long-winded way of saying that my Colorado experience has been different than the OP's. In any case, life is too short to live somewhere you don't enjoy. If Denver doesn't suit the OP, he absolutely should look elsewhere. Not every town is right for every person.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-04-2016 at 07:03 PM..

Old 06-04-2016, 11:14 PM

8,590 posts, read 14,744,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Californians and other coasters are leaving the leftist hell holes they created and are feasting on Texas now. Lots of large companies moving to Texas to escape taxation and bureaucracy. Toyota for instance has moved thousands of people out of California.
And I'm sure the half billion dollars plus of taxpayer-financed corporate welfare that Rick Perry doled out has absolutely nothing to do with all the corporate relos nor does the fact that management can hire someone in Texas and pay them 30% less than a Californian (and pocket the labor cost savings for themselves).

Texas is just as wackadoodle as California. They're just right-wing nuts instead of left-wing.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 06-04-2016 at 11:29 PM..

Old 06-05-2016, 10:18 AM

415 posts, read 602,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenretriever1234 View Post
Hello, I am a lifelong resident of this state, and have lived in several areas including Greeley, Sterling, Greenwood Village, and Canon City. I have also lived in other states such as Texas, Maryland, and Pennsylvania, but am a native of Colorado. And, Colorado is my least favorite.

For starters, conservatives are seemingly not welcome in Colorado anymore. The state is becoming increasingly liberal, even in places like Weld County. Now, some people appreciate this, but I can't stand it.

Now, home prices are outrageous in Colorado. It's hard to get a cheap apartment in Denver for less than $2,500 (I live with a family). We live near Greeley now, and it is still way too expensive. It makes no sense, we lived near Gettysburg, Pa. and it was much cheaper than Colorado.

Drugs are horrible in Colorado. When we lived in the Sterling area, drugs and drug dealers roamed the town in broad daylight. The schools are full of drugs throughout the state (and the country, but CO is the worst I have seen), but Logan County, Colorado has got to have the most drugs per capita I have ever seen.

People are actually very unfriendly in Colorado. Denver is not an inviting place at all.

We are moving to Amarillo, Texas possibly by June 20 due to a job offer, and I cannot wait to get out of the hell that is Colorado.

I will definitely be attacked for this opinion, but I am a native (born in Greeley, raised in Phillips County), and know this state. This post is not meant to offend anybody, just to give my personal opinion.
Congrats, TX is a great state. Hope it's enjoyable for you and your family. I agree with some of your points, but I'm hoping that things will level out eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado