U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:55 AM

3,461 posts, read 1,699,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenretriever1234 View Post

For starters, conservatives are seemingly not welcome in Colorado anymore. The state is becoming increasingly liberal, even in places like Weld County. Now, some people appreciate this, but I can't stand it.
Since moving here I've had the opposite experience, but I probably live too close to Douglas County.

Quote:
People are actually very unfriendly in Colorado. Denver is not an inviting place at all.
I've had the opposite experience with this, too. I have yet to encounter a surly store employee which was the norm back in Maryland. People seem very friendly in general out here.

I enjoyed reading your observations. Hope you'll be happy in Amarillo.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:50 PM

138 posts, read 127,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I have yet to encounter a surly store employee which was the norm back in Maryland.
I came from Anne Arundel last year and lived in Baltimore City before that (Baltimore City was actually friendlier than AA County). I've yet to see this too. This kind of thing was so common there that it wasn't like you could take your business elsewhere.

I think this is a really hard thing to explain to people who haven't experienced it; people are angry, everywhere, seemingly all the time. I've seen more than a few throwdowns in restaurants in MD over nothing. Even at my kid's confirmation, two of the parents starting getting into it over seating position, and one started screaming the worst profanities at the other and was threatening to fight him. In front of children, in a church.

There are not so nice people here, but it's not widespread like when I was in MD. I don't miss that.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:48 PM

1,024 posts, read 788,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
There are plenty of conservatives in Colorado (Colorado Springs, anyone), but there is also a live-and-let-live attitude here. The gun-toting, bible-thumping types may not be welcome with open arms quite as much as a place like Texas. As a liberal myself, the state's political shift toward the left doesn't bother me one bit (I actually welcome it), but I can see where it is disheartening to more conservative people.

I actually find the people in Colorado (even in Denver) to be very friendly. I used to find the people a bit standoffish, but moved to Chicago for a couple years and returned with a whole new perspective (I found Chicago to be extremely rude and unfriendly in comparison). I've observed that the people here aren't nosy and judgmental, which can come across as standoffish. It's quite different than the southern states and Texas where there's more of a culture of being in everyone else's business, but personally I like it.
For someone who talks about not being "judgmental," your stereotyping Conservatives as gun-toting and bible-thumping certainly sounds quite judgmental.

The OP never mentioned wanting to tote a gun or thump a bible, so why even bring that up?

I always find it amusing when someone talks about how they are "live and let live" and yet right away, they trot out the insulting stereotypes. Just like it would be considered closed-minded and judgmental to classify a left-leaning person as a "loony liberal," it's also closed-minded and judgmental to call a right-leaning person a "gun-toting bible-thumper."

But with that said, I'm pretty sure I've heard that many parts of Colorado are more conservative-leaning, and if people can refrain from bringing up politics (or at least not use insulting stereotypes), then I don't see why everybody can't get along. I have long heard that Colorado is more "live and let live" than many other places and I'm hoping this is true.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:49 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,527,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
And I'm sure the half billion dollars plus of taxpayer-financed corporate welfare that Rick Perry doled out has absolutely nothing to do with all the corporate relos nor does the fact that management can hire someone in Texas and pay them 30% less than a Californian (and pocket the labor cost savings for themselves).

Texas is just as wackadoodle as California. They're just right-wing nuts instead of left-wing.
Personally I have no knowledge of Texas corporate welfare or what companies pay post Texas move, but what I do know is that business goes where it can make money and survive. If it can't survive and profit it goes out of business and so goes the associated jobs and products or services the company provided.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:55 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,390,065 times
Well said Elvira310! I'll go on to say that I've seen more judgement and belittling in four years of being in CO, than decades of being in TX, and I'm neither bible-thumping nor gun-toting. People of the liberal bent standing on soapboxes are just as annoying as those from the far right. Both are of the same breed, and blind to how similar they are to each other. Extremism shuts down the brain.

I've witnessed and analyzed a lot of both TX and CO. Both have the same wide varieties of people, and both have large concentrations at either extreme. The difference is in the vocality and outspokenness. That's what gets attention. The louder side of the two is opposite between both states (conservatives noisier in TX, liberals in CO). But both states carry on in a similar negative manner. In the end, there's really more similarity than difference.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 06-06-2016 at 10:17 AM..

Old 06-06-2016, 10:13 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,619,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Heh. I had to ban political discussions with my father because he kept trying to convert me to his conservative talking points.
I agree conservatives have their talking points as well, you see I lean libertarian and neither side like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post

Like what?
Let's see. How could I possibly think that Obama is not a great president although I think he will be good for the country long term as he has woken up some of the people who are just now starting to pay attention to politics. Bernie Sanders is going to take over the government and straighten out the corporations through government (for those who are liberal how does the constant complaint about cops and other government entities align with wanting to give the government even more controll?), how Trump is a racist despite people only claiming that now due to his party while ignoring Clinton's long ties to racism, how people need more help, how the government is going to solve our problems, how the cops are all dirty, how there is something wrong with anybody who does not want men using the restroom with their daughters, and I could go on. I hear it all the time and it is much more annoying than conservatives, who have their talking points but are not just pushing everything their party tells them to push.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
Well said Elvira310! I'll go on to say that I've seen more judgement and belittling in four years of being in CO, than decades of being in TX, and I'm neither bible-thumping nor gun-toting. People of the liberal bent standing on soapboxes are just as annoying as those from the far right. Both are of the same breed, and blind to how similar they are to each other. Extremism shuts down the brain.

I've witnessed and analyzed a lot of both TX and CO. Both have the same wide varieties of people, and both have large concentrations at either extreme. The difference is in the vocality and outspokenness. That's what gets attention. The louder side of the two is opposite between both states (conservatives noisier in TX, liberals in CO). The same holds true on the quieter side as well (with rural conservatives in CO tending to shun attention, like liberals in TX). But both states carry on in a similar negative manner. Neither can claim to be blameless or free of tarnished hands.
I agree, once upon a time Colorado was very live and let live, with only the old ladies being the judgemental ones (which will never change anywhere). Now you are judged by everything you do, you wear, you drive, your line of work, and where you live, and many do not even bother trying to hide their judgemental nature.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:20 AM

13,227 posts, read 24,316,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Let's see. How could I possibly think that Obama is not a great president although I think he will be good for the country long term as he has woken up some of the people who are just now starting to pay attention to politics. Bernie Sanders is going to take over the government and straighten out the corporations through government (for those who are liberal how does the constant complaint about cops and other government entities align with wanting to give the government even more controll?), how Trump is a racist despite people only claiming that now due to his party while ignoring Clinton's long ties to racism, how people need more help, how the government is going to solve our problems, how the cops are all dirty, how there is something wrong with anybody who does not want men using the restroom with their daughters, and I could go on. I hear it all the time and it is much more annoying than conservatives, who have their talking points but are not just pushing everything their party tells them to push.
Like people engage you out of the blue with these things, or do these things come up during the course of conversation?

I would never say any of the things you mention above (not even to my wife, or even to myself ). I think we need more people thinking for themselves in this world (I hope that isn't a liberal talking point ).

Old 06-06-2016, 10:23 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,390,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I agree, once upon a time Colorado was very live and let live... Now you are judged by everything you do, you wear, you drive, your line of work, and where you live, and many do not even bother trying to hide their judgemental nature.
Very true! It's important to point out these significant changes that happen over time, and which happen everywhere (across the US, and across the world). CO is definitely different today compared to my memory and experiences from decades ago.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 06-06-2016 at 10:40 AM..

Old 06-06-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Like people engage you out of the blue with these things, or do these things come up during the course of conversation?

I would never say any of the things you mention above (not even to my wife, or even to myself ). I think we need more people thinking for themselves in this world (I hope that isn't a liberal talking point ).
I used to run business networking groups, I drive part time for Uber, I also work with people's finances. when you deal with the public you hear and talk about many things depending on what people want to talk about. Some hard core liberals are kind of like the Vegan meme that has been floating around about how do you know they are vegan? They tell you. Same with some liberals, others you just have to listen to what they have to say and that will tell you fast enough.

I have many family members and friends, some that I have known for decades, and I cannot tell you who or even if they vote, and who they vote for. I could probably guess based on conversations and their actions, but we never talk politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or