U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 10:44 AM

20,840 posts, read 39,052,603 times

Advertisements

We all need to keep this conversation focused on Colorado.

I find little to dislike here, except for TABOR, which IMO is slowly destroying the state, especially here in COLO SPGS where our roads are truly crumbling, houses are sliding off hillsides, the cops lost their helicopters, demand for parks cannot be met for lack of investment funds, etc. The author of TABOR sits in prison as we speak, a place he so richly deserves.

Too many people never understood that to "starve the beast" means starving themselves and their children's education.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:56 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,966,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

I find little to dislike here, except for TABOR, which IMO is slowly destroying the state, especially here in COLO SPGS where our roads are truly crumbling, houses are sliding off hillsides, the cops lost their helicopters, demand for parks cannot be met for lack of investment funds, etc. The author of TABOR sits in prison as we speak, a place he so richly deserves.

Too many people never understood that to "starve the beast" means starving themselves and their children's education.
We moved back east for a while, shortly after TABOR passed. I knew it was a bad idea and argued against it during the election process. I have always thought that Colorado made it far too easy to amend the state constitution, and that it would come back to bite us. There were all sorts of strange amendments being voted on that election.

This fiscal year it has truly come back to take that bite long ago promised.

While we were away, we lived in North Carolina, Florida, and Arkansas. Whatever is wrong about Colorado, I will take it gladly, though. I still love it here.

I am a Colorado Native. I just didn't realize that until I moved here.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:52 PM

138 posts, read 127,790 times
Quote:

I've started noticing that Amazon is (sometimes but not always) collecting sales taxes for Colorado now. What's really funny is that after this hard-fought battle with Amazon is that they will likely have to refund all of it next year. TABOR is wild.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:48 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,489,213 times
Quote:

My roommate works for the state government and TABOR is her number one pet peeve. She says most Colorado residents simply don't realize how damaging it is, if they even know WHAT it is.

It reminds me of years ago when my father and I were discussing the differences between PA and Jersey while we were driving towards Lancaster one day. We were debating the merits of taxes - Pop's a staunch conservative. We were still going back and forth when we made the transition from the Jersey turnpike to the PA turnpike and immediately hit a series of potholes. We were laughing hysterically for a few miles after that.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:07 PM

20,840 posts, read 39,052,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
My roommate works for the state government and TABOR is her number one pet peeve. She says most Colorado residents simply don't realize how damaging it is, if they even know WHAT it is.

It reminds me of years ago when my father and I were discussing the differences between PA and Jersey while we were driving towards Lancaster one day. We were debating the merits of taxes - Pop's a staunch conservative. We were still going back and forth when we made the transition from the Jersey turnpike to the PA turnpike and immediately hit a series of potholes. We were laughing hysterically for a few miles after that.
I understand, believe me. We can pay now or we can pay later but for damned sure we ARE going to pay.

They call my city Colorado Springs because the potholes are deep enough to have their own fresh water supply bubbling up .... creating kiddie pools. One small business owner downtown planted a tree in the pothole in from of his auto service garage....it took root. We're moving to the Phoenix area this month, for many reasons, but one of those reasons is to get smooth roads and no potholes. This state needs to de-TABOR and get on it asap.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:40 AM

4,324 posts, read 1,787,341 times
Quote:
I understand, believe me. We can pay now or we can pay later but for damned sure we ARE going to pay.

They call my city Colorado Springs because the potholes are deep enough to have their own fresh water supply bubbling up .... creating kiddie pools. One small business owner downtown planted a tree in the pothole in from of his auto service garage....it took root. We're moving to the Phoenix area this month, for many reasons, but one of those reasons is to get smooth roads and no potholes. This state needs to de-TABOR and get on it asap.
No don't leave we need you to help us carry on the good fight for better roads.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:25 PM

196 posts, read 134,705 times
Funny - moving from the Bay Area, I've thought that the roads here are amazing (especially considering the more diverse weather in CO).

Haven't driven through Colorado Springs itself... but from Larkspur area to Denver, they seem quite nice!

Old 06-07-2016, 04:49 PM

862 posts, read 742,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Doesn't surprise me one bit. We moved to Denver back in 2008 and of all the people we met, worked with and so forth over the years a large number of them even though they may live in Colorado they really don't care much about the area's politics actually many of them care a lot more as to what is going on in their hometowns on the political front than they do with what is going on in Denver or Colorado. Sure they may have an interest in such local things like the Broncos, Rockies, legal weed, Waterworld, shopping at King Soopers & Park Meadows or even have an interest as to whoever is on Alice 105.9 but anything political they could care less until of course if affects them personally.

Last edited by tantan1968; 06-07-2016 at 04:58 PM..

Old 06-08-2016, 08:30 AM

6,904 posts, read 6,496,831 times
I hope the OP's post was cathartic because they haven't returned since making it.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:58 AM

12,247 posts, read 8,036,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I hope the OP's post was cathartic because they haven't returned since making it.
Mic drop.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or